Best/Worst Place to Work in Retail Watch

username909838
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Emma:-))
I always thought sainsburys was decent for some reason.
What was wrong with working there?
Nothing really wrong with it, I think I was just too young at the time. I think now I'd probably enjoy it more, especially considering I could do with a job now, but back then I was quite shy etc. Never really got anywhere with it.
CaptainDudeson
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It's all ****.
jchatboard
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
B&M Just as bad with the staff.
Bobbyyxox
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ConnorB)
If you could work for one company but purely as a customer assistant/shop assistant/retail mule job, where would it be?

Remember about Job perks/looks on CV for future jobs.

According to the Job Crowd These were some of the best

ASDA
John Lewis
Boots
Sainsburys
Morrisons
Waitrose
TK Maxx
Next

Or if you've had some unexpected awful experiences with companies (not customers!) please tell all here

River island
Bobbyyxox
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
River island being the worst place to work. No breaks, work 6 hours straight, hateful environment, late finishes with no payment...sickening... Not to mension the inhuman managers.. so heartless RIVER ISLAND NEEDS TO FIX UP
Hashim123
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by obsessedfreak95)
I work at Debenhams, and I like it! The pay isn't bad, and most of the staff and manager's are lovely (there are a few pains, but isn't there always?). The only downside is the pressure to open accounts - the managers 'pledge' to open a certain number per day, and then they literally stand over you mithering you to get more. It's annoying because if somebody doesn't want a credit card, it's hardly my fault! But never mind, eh?
Can I ask what your pay is at D'hams, and also how old you are?
df2397
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Mcdz is the worst place to work, forget the pay, the manager arre sooo rude and dsirecpectful, my assitant manager is a bully and we work so hard and they always say hrry up
username996405
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
As other posters have said above, Next is awful. I only did Boxing Day sales there and it wasn't the busyness which put me off! It was the managers - we had a recruitment day or something beforehand where they could've given us some basic training but instead, they just decided to ***** about us to customers waiting in the queue on the day.
"They're really slow/don't know what they're doing - sorry, they haven't been given any training" - um, doesn't that make you look bad? I was put on the tills with more experienced staff, untagging/stuffing hundreds of items into bags per minute. The customers were actually very pleasant in comparison. The managers were very dismissive at the end of the day and were shoddy when it came to giving you instructions. It was basically, "go there, go here" and you had to figure the rest out for yourself. :/
AzimH
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by TheReckless)
Next. Oh God, Next.

I really, really didn't like it there. Managers would tell you to do something really vague and complicated-sounding, and then would wander off before you could ask them to clarify. They'd then come back from wherever the hell they vanished off to looking pissed that you didn't do the task.
Fellow sales assistants who'd happened to work there longer turned their noses up at the "newbs", and refused to help you out when you needed them; instead, they'd scoff at you and do it themselves without showing you how, meaning you couldn't improve. They'd also nag at you to "work faster" when you're pushing tags into a whole department's range of clothing, pushing you to the point where you're stabbing yourself consistently whilst trying to work as fast as you can just to keep them off your back.
And the sales. The sales, the sales, the sales. We opened at five am in the morning and the largest amount of people run as fast as they could inside, picking up items you know they'd return the next day.
At one point, I finished my shift at midnight the night before the massive summer sales, and had to be in at five the following morning.
It was bloody awful.

I work at River Island now, and it's pretty cool. Sure, some of the sales assistants/managers can be a bit prissy, but it's a much more relaxing environment, plus the pay is much better, as well as the staff discount.
As someone who worked at Next part time, I second this post!
mollyxrose
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I've heard bad things about River Island and the way they treat their staff as someone else said above.
Thee life
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The worst retail companies to work for are Asos and Primark. Notice how Asos comes before primark. They are very judgment company to work for, no career progression and the worst pay. Primark is literally illegal to work there. You are doing three people's job for average pay
CTENG
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Well I've found the one in kings Heath is not bad in fact it's good

Everyone's nice and it's quite chill and people work there for age
chickenfoot
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Primark. Low pay and they dont give staff discount.
Fullofsurprises
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Waitrose / John Lewis. :yy:

Marks. Allegedly good to work at, although I've not worked there.

Sainsburys/Tesco/Morrisons. I'm told by various people who have worked for them, all pretty similar, about averagely good to work for.
digitalangel18
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
ASDA
John Lewis
Boots
Sainsburys
Morrisons
Waitrose
TK Maxx
Next

if you've had some unexpected awful experiences with companies (not customers!) please tell all here [/QUOTE]

I've never met someone that has enjoyed working at Next - on my life! I HATED it working there, so repetitive. Even as a customer adviser I was forced to spend most of my time in the stock room with the coat hangers...
Scottie hedgehog
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Worst companies I have worked for are. Princess Cruises and Prospect Commerials.
darkred
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Primark was awful to work at. Customers were feral and most of the staff lazy and unhelpful. I saw a woman urinate on some jeans and I had to bag them up fml.

I still get angry when I hear the words "Prime time". Ever since having left over 2 years ago, I've avoided Primark stores in general (unless I need cheap socks tho).
Goaded
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I worked at Boots, it was okay but certainly not 'one of the best employers.'
YoungerHamii2014
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Just finished my contract with Next after the sales and have to say it might be the nail in the coffin for me working in retail.

Managers over there were like dictators in North Korea, environment didn't encourage having conversations with my colleagues about the job itself or they'd deliberately move me or them away to work elsewhere, their instructions wouldn't be clear enough and the training they gave us during the team assessment day was completely different to the actual job itself. Because of this my colleagues, apart from a few, appeared very conservative and a bit aloof socially but you can't blame them when the managers and co-ordinators don't even push us to get to know one another and work effectively as a team.

Also worked at Primark as a Xmas temp. Apart from the pay actually being good for the hours I was working, I don't really need to repeat the posts above about the place.
moomin345
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
All of these reviews about Next Retail is spot on!
Yes, they degrade you so much and make you feel like you should be working like a robot! They don't let you connect to others, don't have a life, make you feel like your stupid, make you repeat the same things, run around, don't have a breather or you'll get paged up to managers office, hit targets (so the higher up ones can get their bloody bonus), they always watched over me and gave me sarcastic smiles. they called some of us sales assistants her 'minions' :-S

They gave me shabby and lazy training (just watch over them, do tick off sheets on rubbish iPad thingy's) so I made a few mistakes on the tills. When I asked for help they made me feel stupid and gave me funny looks. Very much bullying culture. These mistakes gave me a bad performance review (where they rate you in stars, so silly) They would always call me up to office for petty things like not saying hello enough (pretty much the only thing I would say is hello you okay there, to nearly every customer so, just cause I missed a few???) So they were always just being intimidating, hardly ever saw any of them even checking customers, but they always had time for a gossip and sitting up in the office eating food. Most of the women there who were coordinators and the manager, always took their jobs too seriously, acting righteous, they had been there since they were 15/16 and were coming up 30/ 30 odd! Lollll, yawnnn!

It really put me off retail loads! I was a happy larry when walking away from my last shift.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (246)
39.49%
No - but I will (42)
6.74%
No - I don't want to (45)
7.22%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (290)
46.55%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed