Best/Worst Place to Work in Retail Watch

bones-mccoy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I worked as a Christmas temp at Clintons two years ago and loved it. You got trained well and everyone there was ace.
Although I still can't walk past a wonky card in any shop without fighting the urge to put it back straight.

My mum worked for Marks + Spencers around the same time and really enjoyed it.
chelseadagg3r
  • Volunteer Section Leader
  • Peer Support Volunteers
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I've done Christmas at Next and at HMV. Next was awful. Little training, no support, quite nasty people etc. HMV was great. We were trained in depth, were made to feel part of the team, got taken on the Christmas night out, and stuff like that. It was a great place to work
chikane
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The best retail place i worked at was Marks and Spencers as a xmas temp in foods. I loved the staff and it would get busy but i enjoyed it alot i even orked the the 7am-11am shift while at uni and enjoyed it. Loved the discounts and how well looked after everyone was a great place to work for and its a respected brand. Gutted when i was told there was no jobs available but if you had family there then they would find a job for you though but would highly recommend working there.

The worst retail i worked at was only weekends for 2 years was at Primark. First day was greeted by a supervisor who had a bad vibe and didnt like me for some reason. Then asked by HR if i wanted to move departments which i said yes so was away from the witch. I only put up with the job was for the experience and it was just weekends the worst place was the womens department and fitting rooms was so busy and messy you are picking up crap from the floor every 5 minutes and you had to be careful counting money and giving out change while on the tills if there is any decrepancies you would get called up about it by the manager or HR. Would never work there again the only good thing was it was easy to get a job there. Also customers would look down on you working there which i never felt at M&S.
Ham22
Badges: 15
Report 2 years ago
Asda was pretty terrible.
Hollymwear
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I currently work at hotel Chocolat and it's great! They encourage you to know your stuff about all of the chocolate so that you're passionate and knowledgable about it when speaking to customers! I have gained great experience and the team I work with make It really rewarding when you achieve something great, employees are also given lots of benefits including a 50% discount and vouchers to spend every season (Christmas, Easter etc) as well as a great hourly rate!
TreeFellOnMe
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I work at Waitrose and I rate it way up there as far as retail goes. I've met all the managers and the top manager and none of them made me feel like ****, even though I tested their patience on so many occasions with my incompetence and mess ups. Everyone's really cool to work with, apart from one or two colleagues who are so tight and up their ass. Also they have aprons as part of the uniform.
Victoria_039183
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Lol I've been working at Next a year now and that sounds bang on 😂 I'm currently looking for new jobs, as are many other people I know there 👍🏼 Do not recommend.

(Original post by TheReckless)
Next. Oh God, Next.

I really, really didn't like it there. Managers would tell you to do something really vague and complicated-sounding, and then would wander off before you could ask them to clarify. They'd then come back from wherever the hell they vanished off to looking pissed that you didn't do the task.
Fellow sales assistants who'd happened to work there longer turned their noses up at the "newbs", and refused to help you out when you needed them; instead, they'd scoff at you and do it themselves without showing you how, meaning you couldn't improve. They'd also nag at you to "work faster" when you're pushing tags into a whole department's range of clothing, pushing you to the point where you're stabbing yourself consistently whilst trying to work as fast as you can just to keep them off your back.
And the sales. The sales, the sales, the sales. We opened at five am in the morning and the largest amount of people run as fast as they could inside, picking up items you know they'd return the next day.
At one point, I finished my shift at midnight the night before the massive summer sales, and had to be in at five the following morning.
It was bloody awful.

I work at River Island now, and it's pretty cool. Sure, some of the sales assistants/managers can be a bit prissy, but it's a much more relaxing environment, plus the pay is much better, as well as the staff discount.
Melobond
Badges: 9
Report 4 days ago
the best job in retail is supermarket jobs !! Really good pay for minimal effort tbh. I work on checkouts for £9.20 and have worked in food before for £4.20 which was 1000x harder than my current job.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
GotU418Yrs
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Worked at Waitrose at school and hated it am I the only one?
Bang Outta Order
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
my missus is a lead at primark and she loves it but she used to come home in foot pain, or at midnight like :console:

i've never worked in retail, only in support clerical roles at offices lol but i know loads of people who worked at asda and tesco and topman and too many to name, i mean they all have the basic grievances. when i cba i'll list what i've heard.
Last edited by Bang Outta Order; 4 days ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (218)
39.49%
No - but I will (38)
6.88%
No - I don't want to (36)
6.52%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (260)
47.1%

Watched Threads