The Student Room Group

Preferred course or better university?

Hey :smile:

I'm hoping to apply for the following courses this year:

- Evolutionary Anthropology at the University of Liverpool.

- Biological Anthropology at Durham and Kent.

- Bioarchaeology at York.

The course I really want to do and feel I will be most passionate about is the one at Liverpool. Provided I got all of the offers, I'd probably be choosing between Liverpool and Durham to firm. However the issue is, the employment prospects after 6 months are a lot better for the Durham course. With the courses I'm applying for being unusual, graduate prospects are already slightly worrying me, and so Durham seems a more secure choice, but I really do prefer the look of Liverpool's, despite the fact Durham's also looks very interesting.

Basically, is it better to choose the course I prefer, or the university that is more likely to help my graduate prospects? (I'm not picky when it comes to league table position, I'm just worried I'll end up in a poor job)

I would also like to do a masters/PhD if I do well. Would this help a lot with employment prospects, especially if I attended a university with better employment prospects?

Thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hi Lucy,

I'd advise you to go with the course you want to do rather than the university. However, at this stage you're getting ahead of yourself given you haven't even applied yet!

Rankings, graduate employability and everything else that goes with it change pretty much every day of the week when a new table is published. Whilst Durham might have a better score now that's not to say that it will do in 4 years time when you graduate yourself as they could have had a couple of "poor" years and then ended up further down the table. In a world where universities can jump 10s of places in league tables between one year and the next it isn't an overly reliable source of comparison anyway.

Furthermore, most importantly, when it comes to your own graduate prospects then it's your responsibility. Having Durham's name on your CV isn't going to get you a job. It's the experiences you have, things you do and skills you develop whilst at university which will get you a job and you're much more likely to do all of that to a greater degree if you're on a course that you really love. If you are considering a PhD then it's even more important to be on the course that's right for you as you're more likely to do well in it. Funding is quite scarce in social sciences and you'll have a much better chance of getting funding if you've done relevant modules and gained a first overall from Liverpool rather than done vaguely related modules and got a 2:1 from Durham as you weren't as keen on the course.

The biggest problem you'll have when you graduate is explaining what anthropology actually is (I say this as an anthropology graduate myself) and the last thing that will be a real concern is whether your degree certificate says Durham or Liverpool on it.

Good luck - don't focus on this at this stage, just apply and see what happens as you may find that this decision isn't actually one you have to make.
Do the course you like better. The difference between the prestige of the two unis isn't much and it's not worth going to a slightly better uni if you're not going to like the uni experience as much.

And yes, Masters/PhD may help your employment prospects.
Picking a University over your preferred course would be a mistake in my view.
Original post by oxymoronic
Hi Lucy,

I'd advise you to go with the course you want to do rather than the university. However, at this stage you're getting ahead of yourself given you haven't even applied yet!

Rankings, graduate employability and everything else that goes with it change pretty much every day of the week when a new table is published. Whilst Durham might have a better score now that's not to say that it will do in 4 years time when you graduate yourself as they could have had a couple of "poor" years and then ended up further down the table. In a world where universities can jump 10s of places in league tables between one year and the next it isn't an overly reliable source of comparison anyway.

Furthermore, most importantly, when it comes to your own graduate prospects then it's your responsibility. Having Durham's name on your CV isn't going to get you a job. It's the experiences you have, things you do and skills you develop whilst at university which will get you a job and you're much more likely to do all of that to a greater degree if you're on a course that you really love. If you are considering a PhD then it's even more important to be on the course that's right for you as you're more likely to do well in it. Funding is quite scarce in social sciences and you'll have a much better chance of getting funding if you've done relevant modules and gained a first overall from Liverpool rather than done vaguely related modules and got a 2:1 from Durham as you weren't as keen on the course.

The biggest problem you'll have when you graduate is explaining what anthropology actually is (I say this as an anthropology graduate myself) and the last thing that will be a real concern is whether your degree certificate says Durham or Liverpool on it.

Good luck - don't focus on this at this stage, just apply and see what happens as you may find that this decision isn't actually one you have to make.

Thank you so much for your detailed reply, I really appreciate it :smile:

I totally see where you're coming from, I take league tables with a pinch of salt most of the time, I guess I'm just worrying because I'll be applying very soon and want to make sure I'll be making the right decision.

Yes that's very true, being 17, I'm naive when it comes to applying for jobs etc :tongue: I'll definitely be happier on the Liverpool course, and I suppose that should matter most! And yes, a lot of people I talk to don't know what Anthropology is :colondollar:

Once again, thank you a lot for your wise and insightful input! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by paradoxicalme
Do the course you like better. The difference between the prestige of the two unis isn't much and it's not worth going to a slightly better uni if you're not going to like the uni experience as much.

And yes, Masters/PhD may help your employment prospects.

Ah okay, thank you so much :smile:
Original post by Plantagenet Crown

I've always said that myself too, I knew I was probably being very silly, I guess I just wanted some reassurance. Thank you very much :smile:
Posted from TSR Mobile
Totally agree with Oxymoric.

Too many applicants get obsessed with 'reputation' - and forget its the course they are studying for three years, not the University.

If this is the course that will sustain your enthusiasm and energy for three years, do it - because that is what will get you a good degree result, not the title of the Uni. Liverpool is a solid University - you will never feel ashamed to have it on your CV.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by returnmigrant
Totally agree with Oxymoric.

Too many applicants get obsessed with 'reputation' - and forget its the course they are studying for three years, not the University.

If this is the course that will sustain your enthusiasm and energy for three years, do it - because that is what will get you a good degree result, not the title of the Uni. Liverpool is a solid University with an international reputation for excellence. You will never feel ashamed to have it on your CV.

I agree, I've never been obsessed with reputation (although this thread may suggest otherwise :lol: )

Thank you very much, that's very true and I appreciate your input :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
I chose University reputation over course, I am going into my second year now and am completely fed up of the course and really regret it but then again my university is one of the most desirable for employers so ask me again in a couple of years and might say different. But you could easily have a different attitude towards your courses.
I think like someone said above you do need to really consider whether you like the course or not because that is what you are going to be committing to for the next three years. But also you need to think that actually it is only 3 or 4 years then you have the rest of your life.
I would say if you can visit the universities and research the courses before you make your decision do because I didn't and I think that was a huge mistake I knew nothing about it before I started.
But lets face it none of the universities that you have mentioned have bad reputations or anything.
Original post by 93mars
I chose University reputation over course, I am going into my second year now and am completely fed up of the course and really regret it but then again my university is one of the most desirable for employers so ask me again in a couple of years and might say different. But you could easily have a different attitude towards your courses.
I think like someone said above you do need to really consider whether you like the course or not because that is what you are going to be committing to for the next three years. But also you need to think that actually it is only 3 or 4 years then you have the rest of your life.
I would say if you can visit the universities and research the courses before you make your decision do because I didn't and I think that was a huge mistake I knew nothing about it before I started.
But lets face it none of the universities that you have mentioned have bad reputations or anything.

Ah that's such a shame! But yeah, at least there are benefits so hopefully it'll end perfectly for you :smile: Yeah that's very good advice, thank you a lot! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by returnmigrant
If this is the course that will sustain your enthusiasm and energy for three years, do it - because that is what will get you a good degree result, not the title of the Uni. Liverpool is a solid University - you will never feel ashamed to have it on your CV.

Just want to second what returnmigrant and Oxymoric say. A course you love will lead to SO much more in your life!

This choice should be especially easy if, as you say, you're already thinking of continuing in higher education after your Bachelors. Get a first, and be the star of the department, and you can have your pick of great universities for the next stage, including Oxbridge, if that's what you fancy.
Original post by BerlinFilmFan
Just want to second what returnmigrant and Oxymoric say. A course you love will lead to SO much more in your life!

This choice should be especially easy if, as you say, you're already thinking of continuing in higher education after your Bachelors. Get a first, and be the star of the department, and you can have your pick of great universities for the next stage, including Oxbridge, if that's what you fancy.

Thank you for your reply, much appreciated and helpful. I'd love to apply to Oxford for the MSc in Cognitive and Evolutionary Anthropology, so I really want to work hard and create an impressive application :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by Plantagenet Crown

not really

it all depends on how much she prefers one course over the other

if its not a lot, and she likes one of the uni much more than the other, then I don't think its too unreasonable to pick uni over course
Reply 13
Original post by 93mars

out of curiousity, what was your chosen and preferred course?
None of the universities in question vary enough in reputation to really matter here, unless you run into the occasional idiot arguing Liverpool and Kent are bad unis and yes those people are idiots.

Also consider that Durham's employment figures may very well be massively skewed considering it's easily one of the poshest unis in the country and thus disproportionately filled up by the rich middle-to-upper-class kids who already have a lot of employment opportunities lined up for them due to their privileged backgrounds.
Original post by JakeyKakey
None of the universities in question vary enough in reputation to really matter here, unless you run into the occasional idiot arguing Liverpool and Kent are bad unis and yes those people are idiots.

Also consider that Durham's employment figures may very well be massively skewed considering it's easily one of the poshest unis in the country and thus disproportionately filled up by the rich middle-to-upper-class kids who already have a lot of employment opportunities lined up for them due to their privileged backgrounds.

Very true! Yeah, this website doesn't help as so many people complain about how bad Liverpool is, I shouldn't have let it get in the way of my opinion as I've visited it before. I know I'll be happy there doing a course I'll love :smile:

And I've never thought about it like that! Thank you very much :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Hi Lucy,

I'm planning to do evolutionary anthropology at Liverpool too!
I'd definitely go with course over university (That's the problem with just one university offering the course I guess), Liverpool will be my first choice followed by either Glasgow, Reading or Bristol for archaeology.
If Glasgow or Bristol offered evolutionary anthropology I wouldn't be able to decide!
The main thing is that you are happy and enthusiastic - our biggest regrets are of the chances we never took, so take the chance!

Hope to see you at Liverpool next year! :smile:
Original post by Jody96
Hi Lucy,

I'm planning to do evolutionary anthropology at Liverpool too!
I'd definitely go with course over university (That's the problem with just one university offering the course I guess), Liverpool will be my first choice followed by either Glasgow, Reading or Bristol for archaeology.
If Glasgow or Bristol offered evolutionary anthropology I wouldn't be able to decide!
The main thing is that you are happy and enthusiastic - our biggest regrets are of the chances we never took, so take the chance!

Hope to see you at Liverpool next year! :smile:

Hello there!

Ah you've got to be the first person I've ever heard of who also plans to apply! :biggrin: that's great! Yeah exactly, typical of me to choose something rare :tongue:

They all sound amazing :smile: Yeah I can imagine!

That's so true, and I know I would be extremely happy.

Same to you! :biggrin: thank you a lot :smile:
Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Original post by Lucy96
Hello there!

Ah you've got to be the first person I've ever heard of who also plans to apply! :biggrin: that's great! Yeah exactly, typical of me to choose something rare :tongue:

They all sound amazing :smile: Yeah I can imagine!

That's so true, and I know I would be extremely happy.

Same to you! :biggrin: thank you a lot :smile:
Posted from TSR Mobile

Rare, but awesome! I originally wanted to do psychology, then changed back to palaeontology, and stumbled accross liverpools course; a it was love at first site haha!
We might be the only two applying so get in easily haha!
Original post by Jody96
Rare, but awesome! I originally wanted to do psychology, then changed back to palaeontology, and stumbled accross liverpools course; a it was love at first site haha!
We might be the only two applying so get in easily haha!

True! Oh nice, yeah paleontology fascinates me! You can do psychology modules too can't you? I want to do some biology ones which is why it's also perfect! I agree :biggrin:

Haha that'd be amazing!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending