P1 P2 P3 Watch

This discussion is closed.
planecrazy
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
on a scale of 1-10 how hard would you rate P2 and P3 against P1???
Leekey
Badges: 9
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by planecrazy)
on a scale of 1-10 how hard would you rate P2 and P3 against P1???
With 1 being equivalent and 10 being rediculously hard in comparison to P1...

P2 - 4
P3- 7/8 (kinda depends on how easily you pick it up and how much you work at it)!!!
kikzen
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Leekey)

P2 - 4
P3- 7/8 (kinda depends on how easily you pick it up and how much you work at it)!!!
i would agree with that (leaning towards the 8 on p3 ;p )

but then again, having done p2, your maths skill will be better by the time you get to p3
[email protected]
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Leekey)

P2 - 4
I found Pure 2 fairly easy and Pure 3 fairly hard. So, perhaps Pure 2 = 3/4. Pure 3 7/8. Like the last person!
mikesgt2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Katie Heskins)
I found Pure 2 fairly easy and Pure 3 fairly hard. So, perhaps Pure 2 = 3/4. Pure 3 7/8. Like the last person!
Yeah, I don't think P2 is that bad. The calculus in P3 is the hard stuff; although I personally found it more interesting.
makesomenoise
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
P2's fun, P3's a hassle. Hopefully I can get 80+ in P2, 60 in P3, easily beating the A threshold.
john !!
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
The scale is confusing - from 1 to 4 seems a larger increase than from 4 to 8 geometrically.
Leekey
Badges: 9
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by XTinaA)
P2's fun, P3's a hassle. Hopefully I can get 80+ in P2, 60 in P3, easily beating the A threshold.
I've already collected my nice 80+ in P2 so I just need to retake some AS exams to get the B's to A's and A's to good A's. This should mean that I can properly screw up P3 and still be fine!!!
[email protected]
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I just remembered. Pure 3 (for our board anyway) has the stupid comprehension paper. They seem to be either really easy or really hard. But, theres very little maths involved. Its just sometimes too wordy, although they are nothing to worry about because they only carry 10 marks.
john !!
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
P3 is only 1/6th of the A level, meaning if you do very well in the others you could get an A without actually learning the P3 syllabus!
makesomenoise
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by mik1a)
P3 is only 1/6th of the A level, meaning if you do very well in the others you could get an A without actually learning the P3 syllabus!
Though not a wise move if you want to do maths at university.
john !!
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
No, of course not
makesomenoise
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by mik1a)
No, of course not
Which is why I need to properly go over the binomial expansion and vector geometry...
john !!
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Binomial expansion... eugh. Seems so "messy", probably because of the unfamiliar notation.

What is it again, something to do with n/(x+n)!+n!...
JamesF
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by mik1a)
Binomial expansion... eugh. Seems so "messy", probably because of the unfamiliar notation.

(1+x)^n = 1 + nx + (n)(n-1)(x^2)/2! + (n)(n-1)(n-2)(x^3)/3!......
|x| < 1
makesomenoise
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by mik1a)

It's nCr really, n!/(n-r)!r!, that to me is the easy part to figure out.

Say you have 7C4, then you have 7!/3!4!, let 4! cancel each other out and you get 7*6*5/1*2*3, which is 7*5 = 35...
Hoofbeat
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by XTinaA)
It's nCr really, n!/(n-r)!r!, that to me is the easy part to figure out.

Say you have 7C4, then you have 7!/3!4!, let 4! cancel each other out and you get 7*6*5/1*2*3, which is 7*5 = 35...
But that doesn't work for P3 when you have fractional indices or negative numbers! How I hate series questions... :mad:
[email protected]
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
binomial expansions was in our P1 syllabus!!
General expansions was P3.
cobra
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
For OCR P2 is about -5, its way easier than P1 and P3 is about 6, its quite a bit harder than P1
kybie26
Report 14 years ago
I think P3 is quite hard especially in my school
I did P1 and P3 together at the beginning of Lower 6th. That was really a disaster!!! I couldn't understand the P3 stuff at that time as i had no knowledge of either P1 or P2!!
And the teacher always say don't worry, by the end of L6th you are able to do all questions and everything will make sense to you. That's quite true!! But i had a really hard time at the beginning of L6th.

And now when i am having my P2 lessons, i found it so boring. The teacher need to explain the things in detail to the people that haven't done P3..

So i think P3 won't be that hard if you have learnt P1 and P2
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18

Do you like exams?