The Student Room Group

what's going to happen to me ? help please

Hi , I'm in a very bad situation regarding my work. Just made an account to post this . Hope I can get some help:frown:

I got a job at a major supermarket last week. Still on my training currently. On Tuesday I made a deadly mistake and keep beating myself up for it now. A customer wanted £50 cashback. I couldn't get card payment to work at first , at last I did. I don't think I entered the amount in or may have pressed a wrong key because the cashback did not come on the receipt but I gave the man £50 ( so so so so stupid of me , regret it :frown: - long queue, was getting stressed ).

Realised later , I may have done something really serious and if the payment hasn't gone through it means my till is going to be £50 short. That's when I started panicking - spoke to manager he said okay he'll have a look at night when tills get counted.

It's been two days and the manager hasn't contacted me . I haven't been able to sleep at all and feeling terrible :s-smilie:

I want to know is it likely I'll get done for stealing? the manager will make me pay the money ? , I get fired ? I won't be allowed on tills again ?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
If you did anything majorly wrong, he would have contacted you by now.
He'll probably just make you pay the £50, it won't be anything extreme. You're still a trainee and people make mistakes.
Reply 2
I've done this sort of thing at work before, especially when there's a queue and you're stressed. Stands to reason a lot of people make mistakes like this - you did the right thing by explaining to your manager and being honest. I think you'll be fine, £50 is nothing at all to a supermarket and you're only a trainee.
Reply 3
pay £50 to the manager
Reply 4
Original post by harris0
I want to know is it likely I'll get done for stealing? the manager will make me pay the money ? , I get fired ? I won't be allowed on tills again ?

None of those things will happen. You aren't the first to make this mistake, and you certainly won't be the last! If you were at risk of getting fired, they'd have said so immediately. They can check security footage to make sure you didn't pocket the cash, so I honestly don't think you have anything to worry about.

And please do stop beating yourself up, it's only money - you didn't hurt anyone :smile:
Reply 5
offer to pay the £ as £50 is a lot of money. If it was a coupe of quid it's normal but this is way too much.
Reply 6
If it's a major supermarket they have cameras above each check out so it will show your mistake and everything is logged on the till, you'll probably get called in and have it formally noted what happened sort of like an interview but not super serious just so they have it recorded, maybe you'll have an informal warning or a refresher on your till training etc depending on which supermarket you work for, but you won't be in big trouble at all or thought of as a thief. Everyone makes mistakes and they know that it's normal, especially as you're new. Don't worry you'll be fine, I also work in a supermarket and I've seen it happen before.
Reply 7
They won't make you pay the £50 if you did make the mistake! Don't worry, EVERYBODY makes mistakes sometimes, especially when they are new! You're employers will know that! I'm sure you aren't the first person to make the mistake, and you won't be the last! If you're worried, just give your manager a ring about it! You won't get done for stealing! Let's face it, you'd be a pretty terrible thief if you told your manager about it! :P
Reply 8
Original post by Cari29392
If it's a major supermarket they have cameras above each check out so it will show your mistake and everything is logged on the till, you'll probably get called in and have it formally noted what happened sort of like an interview but not super serious just so they have it recorded, maybe you'll have an informal warning or a refresher on your till training etc depending on which supermarket you work for, but you won't be in big trouble at all or thought of as a thief. Everyone makes mistakes and they know that it's normal, especially as you're new. Don't worry you'll be fine, I also work in a supermarket and I've seen it happen before.

I have a day of training left , hoping he understands . Thanks everyone, I feel a lot calmer now
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by dbdb
pay £50 to the manager

Even though he hasn't said? :confused:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending