The Student Room Group

Marks and Spencer

Scroll to see replies

lol well does anyone know if you get paid for the training? Cos I'm doing 9:30-5:30 Mon-Wed next week training...
Yeah you get paid for training - that's the bets bit :biggrin:

-x-
Reply 182
Hey, does anyone know if more than one person will be at my interview? Such as will other potential workers be there for an interview? :biggrin:
Reply 183
Hi all,

I applied for a job at Brooklands in Surrey at Marks and Spencers. I completed the online screening process which was all fairly self explanatory really. You could see what they wanted you to answer so I did so accordingly as I'm sure many of you have also done!

I then booked an interview which I was told would last an hour. It was scheduled for 12.30pm. I arrived promptly at 12.30pm to be told that it was actually 2.30pm and would I mind coming back at the correct time. I went home and checked and the original interview was definatley for 12.30 so clearly there were some technical errors along the way.

I went back at 2.30 and got taken upstairs for my interview. I got asked several questions such as "if a customer complained to you about something how would you handle it" and "describe a situation where you have had to go out of your way to help others" and similar questions. There were no interpersonal tests where I had to go out on the shop floor or anything like that. It was all fairly simple.

At the end of teh interview I was told that I had gotten the job..."yay"...HOWEVER the only shifts they could offer me were for saturdays from 5-10.30pm...that wouldn't work out too well for me so they asked me to send in my uni timetable when i get it and they will sort something out for me.

Although I was a bit annoyed as they were advertising for several postions, once you've passed the interview you can get a job at any marks and spencers within a year.

I did get the feeling they were quite disorganised but a job is a job I guess.
becen
Hey, does anyone know if more than one person will be at my interview? Such as will other potential workers be there for an interview? :biggrin:

I don't think they do group interviews because someone who may be best suited for the job may not actually get a word in in the group discussions which I know has happened before to other people. At the interview it will only be two m&s staff interviewing you usually. Id you get the job then you will meet the other new people at your training.
I got assessment day tommorrow morning up in essex because there were no assessment days at my chosen store (I live in East London).

:biggrin: I'm been looking for a job for ages. I'm glad I have a interview thing, even though its just M&S.

Thanks you guys about the vacancies!
Reply 186
Well, I got the job. The interview was roleplaying and that was it. The women said I need to wait for my references to go through and so on... Does anyone have an idea how long I'll have to wait before I start my training etc, get my booklet and so on?
I got the job. I turned up to have a assessment at this M&S store, when I originally applied to a vacancy somewhere.

they tell me I got the job, but its 1 and a half hours away by train in Herefordshire (and i live in London).

Plus, my work shift is roughly 50 hours a week. :-O

I don't know how I will cope!

Is a ten hour shift working at the Food section hard work? I heard you have to be up 7.30 am in the morning carrying and stacking the new foods.
Reply 188
It's not hard work as such - just really boring..

Enjoy :smile:
whaaaaaaaaaaat???? you must be mad!!!
Reply 190
yeahyeahyeahs

Plus, my work shift is roughly 50 hours a week. :-O

I don't know how I will cope!

but a full time job is only 39 hours.....is that not the most they can make you do by law!?
yer ur not meant to work more than 37 hours a week...50?!?!?!! surely m&s wudnt actually let you do that many hours?
i know someone working a bakery job 70hrs a week
You sign some form saying you are willing to do that amount of hours!! It's what the firefighters do! :smile:

-x-
BLONDIE_x
yer ur not meant to work more than 37 hours a week...50?!?!?!! surely m&s wudnt actually let you do that many hours?

well, the hours were like 7.30 - 5.30, for five days a week.

I didn't take the job because I knew I couldn't handle it. Maybe there are breaks in between?
but I know one thing for sure, I don't want to be working 7.30-5.30.
Went for an interview as a rejoiner at another store but they had given all the evening hours to other people :frown: so I'm hoping someone will decline the job so I can take it!
yeahyeahyeahs
Maybe there are breaks in between?

Course there is breaks!!! Breaking the law otherwise!! Probably would be at 45min and maybe two 15min?... I'm not sure how it's figured out now!!

-x-
They told me 2 bring proof of my NI number but i cant find my NI card or number for my interview.wot shud i do?Its on tuesday
p45? or if you have one of those inland revenue letters?

they wont ask for it, until you get the job.
I just looked on the website, and Nottingham isn't on it :confused:

Is it just not showing that store because there aren't vacancies? As my neighbour told my mum that they had vacancies!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending