Durham: Pros and Cons Watch

This discussion is closed.
Mark_KK
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Pros

Pretty decent reputation (however see 1st line of cons)
College system (if you like that sort of thing)
Scenic town
Classy Girls (for the lads)
Rugger Buggers (for the girls)
Decent teaching

Cons
Is it really as good as its made out to be?
"Oxridge rejects" tag
Most students seem to be the upper class snobby type
HILLS - and loads of them, this is a bugger especially if you are in Van Mildert or another one of the hilltop colleges.
Small town with limited nightlife.
lilsunflower
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Question: Does the fact that Durham is really hilly apply only to the hill colleges? Coz' if it is, I'm so relieved I don't have to track from the Hill to the Law department..
AmyBlue
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by presebjenada)
i really dont think there are that many rahs..its merely a perception.. and i have to say, id prefer rahs than real towny/scally people.. id says rahs on the whole are pretty inoffensive really
there are loads of Rahs, but it all depends on your college, some are worse than others.....and wannabe Rahs are worse anyway *cough* Hatfield *cough*
it ain't a bad thing tho, they are really funny, a surprising number are very cool, good to have around in argument situations (' Shut up or i'll buy your house' ), and they tend to buy you lots of drinks.......
AmyBlue
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by lilsunflower)
Question: Does the fact that Durham is really hilly apply only to the hill colleges? Coz' if it is, I'm so relieved I don't have to track from the Hill to the Law department..
depends, the bailey is really flat....but if you want to go anywhere other than the town centre there are big hills......law dept is on the bailey tho so you will be fine!
iiikewldude
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
it's not like a mountain, more of a slight incline. I didn't have any hassle getting up it.
ben2111
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by interiority)
The politics department definitely does... The lecturer mentioned that most of the students who went to US unis had to have their marks moderated when they got back, because they were doing so much better than the US students that going abroad gave them an advantage, hehe. I don't know about any other departments.
Shame on physics then...
ben2111
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by iiikewldude)
it's not like a mountain, more of a slight incline. I didn't have any hassle getting up it.
yeah, the hillyness is exaggerated all the time, it´s really not that bad and a nice walk every morning prevents major moaning in the first five lecture minutes...
shilling
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by ben2111)
yeah, the hillyness is exaggerated all the time, it´s really not that bad and a nice walk every morning prevents major moaning in the first five lecture minutes...
And it'll keep us all fit
serendipity
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
(Original post by ben2111)
Except I caluculate I'll spend at least 1 hr 20 mins per day walking up and down the hill! At Least! Oh well...the girl who showed me round Aidan's said she never has to watch what she eats anymore, or go to the gym, and she thanks the hill everyday for giving her thighs like Beyonce's!! (argh! evil green smiley!)
shilling
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by serendipity)
Except I caluculate I'll spend at least 1 hr 20 mins per day walking up and down the hill! At Least! Oh well...the girl who showed me round Aidan's said she never has to watch what she eats anymore, or go to the gym, and she thanks the hill everyday for giving her thighs like Beyonce's!! (argh! evil green smiley!)
I read somewhere that Mary's is "the first college on the hill" - does this mean it isn't as high up? Hope it does...though I could probably use the exercise

(I think this is my 75th post....can't wait to see if I've reached junior-memberdom)
shilling
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by interiority)
And you're a Junior Member!
yay me!
lilsunflower
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Oh phew.. I thought that the hills would be seriously bad. Does anyone know how long it takes to get from St. Johns to the Law dept? Some people have said 5-10 minutes but I'm not sure how accurate that is.
serendipity
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
Oh phew.. I thought that the hills would be seriously bad. Does anyone know how long it takes to get from St. Johns to the Law dept? Some people have said 5-10 minutes but I'm not sure how accurate that is.
No, the hill is fine. Everywhere is fine really, it's all within walking distance. Actually, my friend made me think of it another way - she got into Hatfield for History, and isn't going to go because everything is within like a 30 second walk, and she found it too claustrophobic, so i'm sooo glad im in Aidan's which is the furthest away, except for Hild Bede.
AveHan
Report 15 years ago
Durham is so not boring! Don't believe it! I have much better nights out there than I've had in other big cities. There's always something to do, it's great!
AveHan
Report 15 years ago
John's to law dept will take you less than 5 mins. They're both on the bailey.
presebjenada
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by AveHan)
Durham is so not boring! Don't believe it! I have much better nights out there than I've had in other big cities. There's always something to do, it's great!
yey - i cant wait!
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 21 Sep '19

Are you going to self-release into Clearing?

Yes I've pressed the button (86)
17.84%
No I'm happy with my uni offer (310)
64.32%
Not yet but I am planning to (23)
4.77%
Not yet but I might (63)
13.07%

Watched Threads