Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iiikewldude)
    another point, theres no schemies/neds/townies/scallies in Durham.
    I hate to break it to you, but I did see a few when I was there. There'll be none in the colleges or Uni or anything, but I definitely saw a few lurking round the Van Mildert shop on Elvet Bridge (near Klute).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    And how far is the train station at Newcastle from the main area of clubs/pubs etc? (again just rought walking time)
    As soon as you come out of Newcastle Central there's bars to go to - Revolution Vodka Bar is one of the best, and you can see that as soon as you leave the station. Then the Quayside is down the hill from the station. Everything is within easy walking distance of the train station - don't worry about that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarahgrasso)
    Ps - i've just thought of something! There are so many ppl on this forum who cannot decide whether to go 2 Durham incase its boring or full of boring ppl! But if so many ppl are worried about this and asking these questions then ther must be lots of ppl who are fun and will want to go out and have fun! I'm the biggest culprit of asking this question but this just occured to me and cheered me up! Maybe i shud choose Durham after all?!?
    I totally agree - it only takes people who want to have a good time to have a good time. Just because others might not want to shouldn't stop us! If we all want to go out and go to Newcastle and things, then we will. People shouldn't be dwelling on how daunting the boringness of Durham will be - because all the people aren't like that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingslaw)
    This was only reinforced when on my work-experience I was asking a lady who was regional manager of a large law firm how she views various universities. She described Durham students as 'distanced from real working life' and 'occasionaly stuffy and hard to get on with'.
    I couldn't disagree with you more. Durham is well-known as hot with employers, and as long as you aren't "distanced" and "stuffy" when you start, you won't become like that (unless you let yourself).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sparkly)
    I went to the open day for psychology last week and thought that Durham was brilliant. I stayed at St Chad's and had the best time ever! Bearing in mind that I have forced myself to attend many open days all throughout the year (including Bristol, Nottingham, Bath, York) I was most impressed by Durham overall. These are my personal reasons why;
    Everything had been so well organised, unlike other days where many candidates were left feeling that all their travelling had been a waste of time
    We were genuinely taken care of
    The students were so welcoming and always asking if we needed help
    The psychology department actually made the effort to give a PROPER sample lecture and the lecturer answered all my questions afterwards with much enthusiasm (I most certainly did not enjoy the psych days at Bristol and York)

I have accepted my unconditional offer at Durham.
    My law open day was really good too! Whoever decided to let the offer-holders come for the night and encourage them to use the bar and go out on the night-time was a genius.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thom18)
    I hate to break it to you, but I did see a few when I was there. There'll be none in the colleges or Uni or anything, but I definitely saw a few lurking round the Van Mildert shop on Elvet Bridge (near Klute).
    i think i know what you mean, but they looked the harmless type, i've got no problem with guys who like hanging around in tracksuits. Its just the more dangerous type like in glasgow who go around stabbing and mugging people.

ReputationRep:
    I couldn't disagree with you more. Durham is well-known as hot with employers, and as long as you aren't "distanced" and "stuffy" when you start, you won't become like that (unless you let yourself).
    from what i've heard i agree with you. Most Durham law graduates end up working for the big commercial firms according to the admissions tutor guy during the q&a session.

ReputationRep:
    At least Durham has a Students' Union. We don't even have one; most people in Oxford (and Cambridge for that matter) are too busy working. So the nightlife there can't be too bad by comparison.

ReputationRep:
    i think i know what you mean, but they looked the harmless type, i've got no problem with guys who like hanging around in tracksuits. Its just the more dangerous type like in glasgow who go around stabbing and mugging people.
    Yeh I know. For me, security is a very high priority. Coming from a place where there is no crime at all... I really couldn't survive in somewhere like Notts.

A pro about Durham is that it isn't flooded with international students unlike unis such as LSE. Although I'm an international student, I want to learn in a British environment, rather than be placed in another conglomeration of rich international students, many of whom would have come from similar backgrounds to mine. I shudder to think of all the people I know who will be going to LSE... of course, this is all personal preference. Some people like the idea of familiarity etc.

ReputationRep:
    Yikes! I knew charvers (the Newcastle term) were bad, but not THAT bad. Although, come to think of it, I was once mugged by two charvers in Newcastle City Centre. But I do agree with you in that the Durham ones didn't look too bad,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shilling)
    The "questions about how founded in reality its reputation really is" is the only bit I find unsettling...the rest doesn't really matter, but if it weren't for that last point (and it's one I've only become aware of since coming to the uk learning forums) I would have made up my mind to go there ages ago...(well, i probably still am going there, but it has made making my mind up harder).
    It's 5th best in the country for English and is one of only 6 English departments in the country with a 5*A rating - I think that should put your mind at ease!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leekey)
    Do you think there is a correlation between the uni's being stuck up and them being dull?!? :confused:
    I don't think you can seriously assert that any town with 10,000 students is "dull", Leekey. I reckon this is a misconception held by a lot of people who aren't even studying there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinykates)
    Durham = most stuck up uni in the UK, followed closely by Warwick
    In what ways?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by serendipity)
    In what ways?
    These people don't really know what the Uni is like - they just have something against it. I'm not stuck up and I'm hopefully going, so it isn't going to be (at least not for me).

ReputationRep:
    These people don't really know what the Uni is like - they just have something against it. I'm not stuck up and I'm hopefully going, so it isn't going to be (at least not for me).
    Same, my decision is between Durham and Birmingham, and I'm not stuck up, I'm just a bit worried that Durham is a bit out of the way, small and quiet. Then again, I spoke to my friend at Durham, and she said this term they've been to Newcastle about 5 times. That's once every two weeks, which is almost the same as I go on a big night out anyway. She said at Durham you have to be able to put up with:
    1. Bars
    2. Coffee shops
    3. Cheesy music

As this is the basis of Durham life!

ReputationRep:
    Same here.. I would think places like Oxbridge have a higher propensity of being stuck-up. Afterall, if hearsay is true, aren't we potential Durhamites all humbled by our rejections from Oxbridge? Lolz.. ahh.. I couldn't care less.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not saying that Durham isn't 'hot' with employers, I'm just saying its not the 'alternative to oxbridge' that it likes to see itself as - not with employers, not within the academic community. Sometimes it just likes to see itself as another Oxbridge due to its collegeite system and similar surroundings.

Your right, going to Durham won't MAKE you 'distanced' or 'stuffy', however many people who go there already are before they get there, giving some of the better, more in touch students a bad reputation. Anyway thats not my own opinion, thats just the lady I spoke to at the law firm.

ReputationRep:
    Also, all you potential Durhamites coming onto this thread proclaiming 'I'm not stuck up' are embarking on an entirely poitless attempt to prove themselves. You can't describe YOURSELF as being stuck up or not, it is purely on how other people see you. Furthermore, its not like anyones gonna come on here and say 'I am stuck up and Im going to Durham' really!!!

ReputationRep:
    Cons of Durham would be that it's all catered (unless you want that of course), and that there's a higher percentage than most universities of having to share a room. Both things I don't think I would want to live with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilsunflower)
    Same here.. I would think places like Oxbridge have a higher propensity of being stuck-up. Afterall, if hearsay is true, aren't we potential Durhamites all humbled by our rejections from Oxbridge? Lolz.. ahh.. I couldn't care less.
    in my experience oxford was was seriously more stuck up than durham. Only a small part of Durham is oxbridge style stuck up - hatfield, the law department and the castle.

The colleges up on the hill are full of pretty decent people

(ok i know im being very stereotypical)

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.