Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Peapod
Have you visited there?
Why such harsh and biased criticism?

Durham does not have a proper collegiate system like Oxbridge. Its not a criticism as such it's just a statement of fact. Durham students do seem unduly concerned about how they rank compared to other univeristies and shouldn't worry. Similar quality Unis such as Cardiff don't seem to have such issues, I don't see why Durham does.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 61
house badger
Durham does not have a proper collegiate system like Oxbridge. Its not a criticism as such it's just a statement of fact. Durham students do seem unduly concerned about how they rank compared to other univeristies and shouldn't worry. Similar quality Unis such as Cardiff don't seem to have such issues, I don't see why Durham does.

Again, I repeat, have yuo even visited there? What are you basing this on?
hear'say?
Reply 62
house badger

I didn't realise that Durham University was especially concerned about how it ranks.
Peapod
Again, I repeat, have yuo even visited there? What are you basing this on?
hear'say?

I think it's safe to base my opinion that Durham students have concerns about status on the number of lengthy posts on this site concerning Durham and how well it ranks.
Reply 64
house badger
I think it's safe to base my opinion that Durham students have concerns about status on the number of lengthy posts on this site concerning Durham and how well it ranks.

But most of the people posting on this site are not actually Durham students, but people thinking about going to Durham, and therefore have every right to discuss how well it ranks. You can see this clearly on the list of members at university - there are currently none at Durham.
Your answer only suggests to me that you haven't been within spitting distance of Durham and therefore I can take your opinion with the pinch of salt which is perhaps making you so bitter.
Reply 65
Pencil Queen
And that is different from *any* hall of residence at another university how?

Claiming that Durhams "colleges" are meaningless is not "harsh and biased critisism" - it's pretty much the opinion of everyone in the academic world.

Edit: and yes I have been there.

The colleges at Durham have a completely different atmosphere to other halls of residences.
For one you don't stay a member of other halls or return there.
I know they don't teach, and they're not as exclusive as Oxbridge colleges (thank god), but to call them meaningless is pretty wrong.
My comment on the badger's criticism was that she/he seemed to think it was a "clever scheme", without having any knowledge on the topic whatsoever - I can only wonder at his/her motivation, and against the opinion of many Durham students.
i'm not an ardent supporter of Durham - I may or may not go there - but I think it's a shame this board is polluted with such comments when the poster is ignorant to the topic in hand as it's not going to help any future students.
Reply 66
Peapod
The colleges at Durham have a completely different atmosphere to other halls of residences.
I know they don't teach, and they're not as exclusive as Oxbridge colleges (thank god), but to call them meaningless is pretty wrong.
My comment on the badger's criticism was that she/he seemed to think it was a "clever scheme", without having any knowledge on the topic whatsoever - I can only wonder at his/her motivation, and against the opinion of many Durham students.
i'm not an ardent supporter of Durham - I may or may not go there - but I think it's a shame this board is polluted with such comments when the poster is ignorant to the topic in hand as it's not going to help any future students.

I agree.
Peapod

I meant it would be a clever scheme for another univeristy to use to improve its image. I hear Nottingham halls of residence have JCRs.
Reply 68
house badger
I meant it would be a clever scheme for another univeristy to use to improve its image. I hear Nottingham halls of residence have JCRs.

They do but in reality it's just a bar and a tv room, nothing gets organised there and not everyone is a member of a hall - some are in self catering flats etc.
Reply 69
Pencil Queen
It obviously varies by university but in my experience the halls at Durham are certainly no more or less special than the halls elsewhere - calling them colleges only removes value (and encourages in-fighting/rivalry) IMO.

The rivalry is only sporting and not serious. It's just a bit of fun, really, to make more of a community spirit in your own college.
Reply 70
Pencil Queen
There is plenty of community sprit made simply through sharing a living space - to encourage from something positive to something negative isn't particularly productive.

Like I say, the rivalry is only sporting and not serious. Don't get so hung up about it.
Reply 71
serendipity
Not for English it's not, fool. 5th best in the country, behind Oxbridge, which i didn't want to go to, some London uni, ditto, York, which is grey and put me off, and oh wait... There's Durham! So shut your mouth! :tongue:

OK, OK, calm down!! I was only pointing out that Durham isn't as academically majestic as it views itself. I never said it wasnt very good!

Its amazing how quickly people dissappear up their own arses when someone criticises the university theyre going to! Blimey!
Reply 72
kingslaw
OK, OK, calm down!! I was only pointing out that Durham isn't as academically majestic as it views itself. I never said it wasnt very good!

Its amazing how quickly people dissappear up their own arses when someone criticises the university theyre going to! Blimey!

She was joking mate - hence the smiley face!!:smile:

Also kingslaw, why so against stockport?
I live there and it's ok - you're only half an hour from manc.
Although I do live in a good area away from the centre.
And come on, it could be worse....
Reply 73
Peapod
She was joking mate - hence the smiley face!!:smile:

Also kingslaw, why so against stockport?
I live there and it's ok - you're only half an hour from manc.
Although I do live in a good area away from the centre.
And come on, it could be worse....

Oh right! Sorry!

For reasons look here and click on stockport: http://www.craptowns.com/html/frontsection/craptowns/30_5/england.htm

Its a shame when the best thing about a town is that it is close to somewhere else!
Reply 74
kingslaw
Oh right! Sorry!

For reasons look here and click on stockport: http://www.craptowns.com/html/frontsection/craptowns/30_5/england.htm

Its a shame when the best thing about a town is that it is close to somewhere else!

Do you know how that book was compiled though?
By random people emailing the authors who didn't visit the towns.
Which part of stockport are you in? Or do you just hate the whole place?
I'm not saying that's the best feature - just one I like and thought would be attractive to someone your age. I like being this close to city and countryside without having to live in either one - although my town/village is supposedly "semi-rural"
Hmm.. I think Durham bashing is just something that is never going to end, but its great to see prospective students actually tackling the whole thing rather logically. And no one has yet said "Durham is the best.. it is better than every other uni... we're Oxbridge".... lolz.. in fact, they've argued quite the opposite and said "Durham is very good for so and so reasons.. but ..."

Well.. nothing is going to change my mind about going to Durham. I got a letter from UCAS stating confirmation of my choices.. ironically, Leeds sent me an "international students' prospectus" in the same batch of post.
Reply 76
lilsunflower
Well.. nothing is going to change my mind about going to Durham. I got a letter from UCAS stating confirmation of my choices.. ironically, Leeds sent me an "international students' prospectus" in the same batch of post.

Hahaha - that's pretty weird of Leeds. Roughly how long did it take UCAS to send your confirmation of choices after you made them? They've updated online but that's it for me.
Thom18
Hahaha - that's pretty weird of Leeds. Roughly how long did it take UCAS to send your confirmation of choices after you made them? They've updated online but that's it for me.

It took me a week. I confirmed my choice on Monday(?) last week and got it today Tuesday. And I'm international.
Reply 78
interiority
An awful lot of people seem terribly perturbed by the perception of Durham as having an overly high image of itself. Why? If you don't like it, ignore it and don't go there, lol. I like the course and so I want to go.

And why are you bothered that it calls itself collegiate? I personally found the system very different to normal halls of residence, but what does the name even matter? Just visit, see if you like the system, and if you do, who cares what it calls itself? It doesn't help anyone to play games over semantics.

Couldn't agree more, actually. People keep coming onto boards where prospective Durham students want to talk about the pros and cons of Durham and take potshots at the University's administration, as though they are on some sort of superiority-complex-fuelled jihad against all other Universities. It's true that everyone likes their own university better than all others, but there's no call for destructive criticism about the way the University is managed and constituted to students who aren't even there yet.
interiority
An awful lot of people seem terribly perturbed by the perception of Durham as having an overly high image of itself. Why? If you don't like it, ignore it and don't go there, lol. I like the course and so I want to go.

And why are you bothered that it calls itself collegiate? I personally found the system very different to normal halls of residence, but what does the name even matter? Just visit, see if you like the system, and if you do, who cares what it calls itself? It doesn't help anyone to play games over semantics.

I agree with you here. I think people just bash Durham for fun. They're mostly fanatics anyway. Doesn't seem like any prospective students are actually hindered from going by those comments though!

Latest