Durham: Pros and Cons Watch

This discussion is closed.
Thom18
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by lilsunflower)
I agree with you here. I think people just bash Durham for fun. They're mostly fanatics anyway. Doesn't seem like any prospective students are actually hindered from going by those comments though!
That's true, actually. We don't care, because we know that Durham is good. People like that can't sway us! *instils camaraderie amongst Durhamites*
lilsunflower
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
The only thing I'm scared about right now is that no one seems to have applied to St Johns. Eeps.. I fell in love with the website.. but it's just not very popular? I've heard mention from nearly every college except Johns and Hilde and Bede or whatever they're called.

Even Marys gets mentioned on these forums!
Thom18
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by lilsunflower)
The only thing I'm scared about right now is that no one seems to have applied to St Johns. Eeps.. I fell in love with the website.. but it's just not very popular? I've heard mention from nearly every college except Johns and Hilde and Bede or whatever they're called.

Even Marys gets mentioned on these forums!
It's just because it's a small college, but there'll be loads of friendly people there. It'll have a really tight community, so you'll know practically everyone there. In some ways I'm envious, because at the bigger colleges (eg. Hild Bede), you could go the whole 3yrs without seeing some people. And it'll be nice living on the Bailey.
serendipity
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
(Original post by Pencil Queen)
There is plenty of community sprit made simply through sharing a living space - to encourage from something positive to something negative isn't particularly productive.
Having spoken to many people at Durham, it's quite clear that college rivalry is just a bit of fun and simply provides another dimension to life at Uni. It certainly isn't negative.
serendipity
Rep:
?
(Original post by kingslaw)
OK, OK, calm down!! I was only pointing out that Durham isn't as academically majestic as it views itself. I never said it wasnt very good!

Its amazing how quickly people dissappear up their own arses when someone criticises the university theyre going to! Blimey!
For English it clearly is as "academically majestic as it views itself". (Does it view itself as that? :confused: )
FYI: I'm not necessarily going to Durham, I'm just defending an excellent university which as everyone knows, isn't as good in every department as Oxbridge but *is* "up there" with the best of them. And is definately better respected than many.
Thom18
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by interiority)
I think St. Johns has a lot of theology students, and I haven't heard much on here from them in general... I agree, it'd be nice being in a little college. Being on the hill, everywhere's a bit more spread out. Have to meet up with other college folks on the crawl
Yeah, maybe checking out a theology board, or starting your own will attract St. John's students to you.
By the way, don't you mean, "Have to THROW up with other college folks on the crawl"?? Hahaha.
Thom18
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by serendipity)
For English it clearly is as "academically majestic as it views itself". (Does it view itself as that? :confused: )
FYI: I'm not necessarily going to Durham, I'm just defending an excellent university which as everyone knows, isn't as good in every department as Oxbridge but *is* "up there" with the best of them. And is definately better respected than many.
Well put. Just because one department is crappy, doesn't mean all departments are (eg. History, English and Law are all excellent)
serendipity
Rep:
?
(Original post by Thom18)
Well put. Just because one department is crappy, doesn't mean all departments are (eg. History, English and Law are all excellent)
Yay English!
Thom18
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Hehe, is holding each others' hair back part of the Durham camaraderie?
Yep, I think so. *premonitions of Freshers' Week*
By the way, do you (or anyone else) know what Matriculation at Durham Uni entails?
lilsunflower
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I think St. Johns has a lot of theology students, and I haven't heard much on here from them in general... I agree, it'd be nice being in a little college. Being on the hill, everywhere's a bit more spread out. Have to meet up with other college folks on the crawl
Lordy! Hahaha.. ooh no. I'm doing a total antithesis of theology: Law. Muahaha.. Okie doke... I'm kinda in trouble then. Blasted website! The rooms looked so pretty.
presebjenada
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I don't and I have been wondering... Anyone? And I heard you had to wear gowns for some formal dinners, does that apply to all Colleges?
yes it depends on the college..we have to at hatfield, but you dont at other places
Thom18
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I don't and I have been wondering... Anyone? And I heard you had to wear gowns for some formal dinners, does that apply to all Colleges?
I'm not sure about gowns for the Collingwood dinner, but I think everyone goes to the Cathedral wearing gowns and pledges allegiance to the University, in some sort of pagan animal sacrifice... Ok, so maybe the last part is fictitious.
lilsunflower
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I'm not sure about gowns for the Collingwood dinner, but I think everyone goes to the Cathedral wearing gowns and pledges allegiance to the University, in some sort of pagan animal sacrifice... Ok, so maybe the last part is fictitious.
Sounds exciting. I love ritual. It tickles me.
Thom18
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Damn. So that bit about the slaughtering of the lamb in the prospectus was all lies?
'Fraid so. Sorry about that.
lilsunflower
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
'Fraid so. Sorry about that.
Damn. That's why I applied in the first place.
Thom18
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
And everyone on here thinks the College system is the big Durham lie... Why no uproar about the fake pagan rituals?
Hahaha - I suppose they must have even more extreme things at other Unis, so that our rituals are pretty pathetic in comparison. We must strive for more controversial rituals.
shilling
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
What exactly is meant by "cheesey" music - I keep coming across this word on all Durham related threads...
Oh, and what subject have you applied for Thom18?
shilling
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
"cheesy" even
shilling
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Are you heading to Durham, shilling?[/QUOTE]

Yep - well...probably anyway. I'm still visiting York and Durham in the Easter holidays, but I think I've already made up my mind to go to Durham. I really wish I'd gone to the open days, but I thought I'd be swamped with work, and by the time I realized I didn't have all that much work after all, it was too late to book flights and stuff. A boy from my class went though, and loved it.....everyone on this board sounds very likeable by the way (aren't you all flattered) - can't wait to meet u!
PS: Thanks for your definition of "cheesy"...but what sort of music is it?...sort of Britney-esque I assume?
Thom18
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by shilling)
Oh, and what subject have you applied for Thom18?
Law. Got an ABC offer.
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 21 Sep '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (214)
12.52%
Excited (156)
9.13%
Worried (306)
17.91%
Terrified (380)
22.24%
Meh (168)
9.83%
Confused (37)
2.17%