Durham: Pros and Cons Watch

This discussion is closed.
presebjenada
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Laces)
presebjenada (sp?) Were you at the Hatfield open day and do you study law? Which one were you at? 22/23 or 23/24? I may know you...

Spooning....lol...was a strange Hatfield tradition...sort of included a chant and banging your dinner spoon on the table! Very strange, but good fun. Yes, i know, I am a Hatfielder...but i'm nice, i promise
i was there on the 23/24 doing sociology/anthrop .. and roll on spooning! were you there on the 23/24? i was round the session table being very noisy most of the night... (and wahey - another hatfielder! i thought i was the only one here, and feeling a bit outnumbered)
Thom18
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
It's really good that we've all met on this board to remove some of the fear of going away and worrying about not being accepted by anyone else - now we all know that there will be other people at Durham who are just like us, I'm not as daunted.
I can't wait for this much-anticipated induction college bar crawl - the list of members is growing...
Maybe we should all post saying our Christian names, colleges and courses, because I'm starting to forget who's doing what. What do you think? I'll start:
Thom
Collingwood
Law
Thom18
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Well, it looks like it's just us two.
kenkennykenken
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Ken
Van Mildert
Natural Sciences
Peapod
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Kathleen
St Aidans (the hill isn't that big)
Psychology
Thom18
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I feel really concerned about my friend. She has just got an offer to study Psychology at the University of Durham which she is very capable of making (ABB), after making an open application and getting a place at Cuth's. I really think she should take it, but she's really concerned about the finance issue of living away.
She has offers from other Universities (eg. Sunderland, Newcastle, Northumbria), but I know she'd like Durham. She hasn't really looked at the stuff on financial issues, but she's convinced that she won't be able to afford living away. I hope she can come to Durham, because I know she will have a good time.
Peapod
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
You should get her to look at the "destinations" record for newcastle psychology - it's something like 45 compared to durham's 70,
It can be done however rich or poor you are through loans and grants.
Thom18
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Peapod)
You should get her to look at the "destinations" record for newcastle psychology - it's something like 45 compared to durham's 70
Yeah, I'll try to tell her.
(Original post by interiority)
I hope she'll join us on the bar crawl.
You and me both, cuz.
katini
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Kate
Van Mildert
History & Politics
katini
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Someone else from Van Mildert doing Politics! I feel less alone
Did you go to the Politics dept talk?
katini
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Did you go to the Politics talk? Any good?
Yes I went! The guy who did it was quite funny. He's a Durham graduate himself and loves the place. A few parents went pale when he started talking about girls getting shot at other universities.
Thom18
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Hahahaha - take a look at this bar crawl guide:
http://www.dur.ac.uk/collingwood.han...ollegebars.pdf
It's very pro-Collingwood, so prepare for some flak if you're from other colleges.
Thom18
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Sounds excellent From the three Open Days I've been to, I've found that the Politics lecturers are always really funny and enthusiastic. The Economics guy at Durham was the best I've seen... Some of the others were deathly boring, lol.
I found that, out of all the Open Days, Durham's was the best. For once I didn't feel as though we were burdens to the staff, and that they genuinely wanted us to see it for what it is. That's why they put on the night-time thing - they want us to get a real feel for the place, rather than just visiting for a few hours to sit in a room and be bored to death by some faceless admissions tutor who we'll probably never see again. Or maybe it was just the Unis I applied to...
Thom18
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Woohoo! I'm a "respected member"!
katini
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Thom18)
Hahahaha - take a look at this bar crawl guide:
http://www.dur.ac.uk/collingwood.han...ollegebars.pdf
It's very pro-Collingwood, so prepare for some flak if you're from other colleges.
Mildert's is undergoing a £60k renovation!
Thom18
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by katini)
I hold no responsibility over the comments in that document (read: "[Van Mildert is] woefully inept") - it was made by a Collingwooder, so I'm sure you can forgive them. Plus, some of the things said are pretty funny.
kenkennykenken
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by katini)
yeh i remember during that talk we had in the dining room, they told us about the stupidly large sum of money spent on making the lake nicer lol. Its v. cool tho, all the rooms will be real nice next year
shilling
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Just got back from being in our school play - what a rush! *grin*....umm, and I'm Sarah, St. Mary's, English lit.
ABCD
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by shilling)
Just got back from being in our school play - what a rush! *grin*....umm, and I'm Sarah, St. Mary's, English lit.
what play did ya see?
shilling
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by ABCD)
what play did ya see?
Well, I was in it, actually....and believe it or not, it was "A Christmas Carol"...very appropriate for Easter, don't you think? (it was sort of a piss take version though.) I was Scrooge, or rather, I was the "understudy" for Scrooge. Loads of ad libbing - it was hilarious.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (59)
30.1%
No - I got the required grades (114)
58.16%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (23)
11.73%

Watched Threads