The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
shilling
(For example, I thought your's and interiority's ones about ritual sacrifice at Durham matriculation ceremonies were really funny, but singularly failed to think of anything even remotely witty to say myself...so I just sat there waiting for one of you to post more...lol).

I assume, that by commending us on our wit, you are revering us as your new Gods? I hasten to add that we are Vengeful Gods™, and will smote your ruin upon the mountainsides... of Durham... at any given moment, lest you obey our every whim. We'll lead as Two Kings.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 161
interiority
*Vengeful Roar*

I have many whims that need obeying.

...Is that some kind of hint to a sexual fantasy, Emmanuelle-stylee?
You dominatrix, you!
Reply 162
Thom18
I assume, that by commending us on our wit, you are revering us as your new Gods? I hasten to add that we are Vengeful Gods™, and will smote your ruin upon the mountainsides... of Durham... at any given moment, lest you obey our every whim. We'll lead as Two Kings.

And in the presence of such superior beings, I shall turn into Shilling, the servile, drooling cretin....hummm.
But indeed, I intended no such deification...and btw, I believe Interiorty shall be your fair lady Queen, if I am not much mistaken (?)
Reply 163
interiority
It's a Good God/Bad God thing we got goin' on.

Yeah, so please don't make her angry. You wouldn't like her when she's angry. She has fangs, and she ain't afraid to use them.
Reply 164
And I asure you, I am duly fearful!
Reply 165
Oh fanged one, do not let me incur your wrath...
Reply 166
interiority
Good good!

*Flosses fangs*

No please master...do let me do that for you...*takes out fang polish* (I quite like being the cretin really)
Reply 167
interiority
I heard an exchange to California mentioned, but with limited places. Within the Economics department there are a couple of European exchanges, but nothing that impressive. I'd seen better schemes at Warwick and York, but I'm not planning on going abroad.

Warwick doesn´t have a scheme at all, it´s a year in industry! Your course takes a year longer then.
Reply 168
shilling
But Ben...if you're from Munich, then you'll already be "abroad" in Durham, won't you? :smile:

hehehe... you´re right, but that doesn´t prevent me from moving on, does it? I´d still love to see the states, even though I hate their government and a lot more I think it would be a great opportunity. I think the more you go away the more you want to go away, not the otehr way round.
Reply 169
ben2111
I think the more you go away the more you want to go away, not the otehr way round.

Hmmm...well, once I've moved to England, I'll consider myself far enough away from home, for the next three or so years. Clearly I'm not as adventurous as you.
shilling
Hmmm...well, once I've moved to England, I'll consider myself far enough away from home, for the next three or so years. Clearly I'm not as adventurous as you.

Same here! I couldn't bear moving all my stuff all over again. Plus, I'm not a very good traveller :smile: Going abroad does sound really exciting though
Reply 171
what do you guys think of St Aidans?
Reply 172
jack1268

Don't really know very much about it, to be honest. It's a Hill College, so it can't be all that bad. Is that where you've got an offer from? What are you going to read?
jack1268

I didn't apply to St Aidans but got an offer from there. I went to visit it and it looks really cool, although from the outside its not the most attractive building, all the rooms are being refurbished so I think by October all of the rooms will be re-done (or at least a good number of them). I saw some of the new rooms and they look really good, theres a sink, desk, bed (obviously!), lockable storage under the bed plus a fridge and internet connection in all rooms. The people seemed nice there and seemed like there was a good range of people (not all rah's!). So yeah, overall I'm happy to be going there! Except for maybe not walking up that big hill every day hehe...
Hey, does anybody definately know if Collingwood has internet access in all rooms????

P.s - I'VE ACCEPTED MY OFFER TODAY! I WILL BE COMING TO DURHAM IN OCTOBER!!!! WOOHOO!!!
Reply 175
kenkennykenken
Ken
Van Mildert
Natural Sciences
Kate
St Aidan's
English
Reply 176
jack1268
It looks great, I metsome really fab people there, and they're not rahs. I was so pleased the put me in Aidan's in the end. What subject are you doing?
Reply 177
errr i know there are like 11 pages of this but i will answer the original question:

Pros
*Good rep with employers (people like to say Durham isn't actually any good, but employers still here durham and think 'impressive' ...so get told)
*Very Pretty!!!
*Real sense of belonging due to collegiate system, rivalry etc
*Great social life!!!
*Everything is so close to everything else
*Departments v. good - Geography - best in Europe, Biology- v. good teaching and research centre (they are the ones i do so the only ones i know about :P )
many more but can't be bothered right now.....list is too long

Cons
*Too many hills!
*Lots of Rahs (but they are great entertainment)
*The annoying people who don't actually go to durham telling you that it is boring and a crap uni.......they don't have a clue tho....we are better than them anyway
serendipity
Any contributions would be fab! I'm going out of my mind trying to decide :frown:

My dad met two blokes that went to Durham recently- they have loads of fun, go out loads and go away for Spring break to exotic locations with all their Durhamer mates whenever they can. lol.
AmyBlue

Cons
*Too many hills!
*Lots of Rahs (but they are great entertainment)
*The annoying people who don't actually go to durham telling you that it is boring and a crap uni.......they don't have a clue tho....we are better than them anyway

i really dont think there are that many rahs..its merely a perception.. and i have to say, id prefer rahs than real towny/scally people.. id says rahs on the whole are pretty inoffensive really

Latest

Trending

Trending