Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hey all,

I am about to start 2nd year Pharmacy in Norwich, 2 hours away from my home in London. My first year of Uni was a bumpy experience, I didn't really get any friends at the end (not because I am shy, which I'm not). I did have friends at the beginning but what happened is that when it came to searching for houses, there were 5 of us and I was searching properties for them. One day came when they said that they found a 4 bedroom house and left me behind with NOBODY.

It took me 3 stressful months of trying to balance my studies with finding a house and with little/no social life, I fell into deep depression three times in the year, had panic attacks (which I never had in my life) and was totally alone. It was a horrible experience and I had to go to the counsellor in the end.

Towards the end of first year though, I got to know some very nice people on my course, but that was during exam time when we were all revising in library, although I still made friends with them.

Eventually, I did find a house but its 40/45 mins walk from campus and is in a isolated part of town, since I had no other choice I had to take it. I am just so scared that 2nd year will be worse for me because of being socially isolated since the friends I made will live on the other side of town (over 1 hour away from my house, which is kinda where everyone lives). Also my dad expects me to get a 1st class degree and that expectation adds a lot of pressure too.

I wanna do well at Uni but at the same time I want to enjoy my experience as well like everyone else is. I just need some advice please. (Sorry for the LOONG post haha!)
live_a_life
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The best advice I can give you is get a car. If I had to walk 40-45 mins to my lectures I would never catch a 9am. Heck, my uni is 2 mins walk away from my house and I'm still gunna drive...
tomj2all
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
stop it you're scaring me for the 1st year
Dust94
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm guessing you're sharing a house with some people now then? That might work out nicely.

I can't say how sorry I am though that the people went ahead and got a 4 bedroomed house and left you out.

Hope everything works out

Whereabouts in Norwich will you be living?
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by Dust94)
I'm guessing you're sharing a house with some people now then? That might work out nicely.

I can't say how sorry I am though that the people went ahead and got a 4 bedroomed house and left you out.

Hope everything works out

Whereabouts in Norwich will you be living?
Yeah I am sharing a house with 2 other people, but I hardly know them well and it was very last minute as I needed to get a house before the Easter break to focus for my revision.
The house is somewhere in Bowthorpe
honor_ti_grace
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi there,I read your story really resonated with me in a big way.All I can say is you aren’t alone I had the same things happen to me and I’m in the same boat. Best thing you can do is find things you like society wise and go from there. Try and find like minded people that way and don’t give up hope. Many people are suffering like you are, you aren’t alone. Hugs HC
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (50)
30.12%
No - I have already returned home (23)
13.86%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (37)
22.29%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (15)
9.04%
No - I live at home during term anyway (41)
24.7%

Watched Threads