The Student Room Group

Pregnant and applying to midwifery, include in PS?

Hi everyone,

I'm applying to midwifery 2014, after dropping out from Chemistry and having this year gap year due to expecting soon :biggrin:

ok, so I left chemistry because I lost interest and wanted to do midwifery instead, but is it a good idea to include that my pregnancy drove me to midwifery? or would I sound emotional etc?

ideas for my Personal statement??
Bit ironic that your pregnant yet your starting a midwifery course :smile:

You should include your pregnancy story
But be aware that Midwifery is a very demanding course. Its effectively a full-time job with lots of odd hour shifts, including full night shifts whilst still a student. Not easy to combine with caring for a baby of your own.
Reply 3
It would need to be very carefully worded so that you show you're not just looking for sympathy, and also that the uni won't doubt your commitment and time available. Any uni course would be difficult with a small child but midwifery is likely to involve placements with long days and travelling.

You'll also need to show that you understand the requirements of the midwife, rather than just talking generally about pregnancy care - if you talk about a scan, for example, was that actually carried out by a midwife or was it a doctor or a healthcare assistant?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending