inter-racial Watch

This discussion is closed.
suspicious_fish
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Weejimmie)
How far back? 20 generations- 600 years, say- you had 1048576 ancestors. True, many would turn up more than once, but your uncle would have to check on every one of them. Go back about another 900 years for when the English immigrants arrived..., and you'll have to make sure there wasn't any Jutish, Vandal etc ancestors before they came over.
That's some hardcore research to be gettin on with!
ToshTrent
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I'll have to find out the details from him. I know he spent years n years on it.
Howard
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by ArisGreenleaf)

Furthermore your arguement claiming the nonexistence of laws preventing blacks from having equal rights is beyond me! Yes there were ACTUAL laws against black people.
http://www.jacksonsun.com/civilrights/sec1_crow.shtml
I beg your pardon? I didn't claim anything of thje sort. I was merely asking you to point out the specific law on sufferage. I'm still waiting.
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
[QUOTE=ArisGreenleaf]Why the hell would anyone want to seperate the races? QUOTE]

Odd thing to say. Where I live I see white neighborhoods, black neighborhoods, hispanic neighborhoods, and vietnamese neighborhoods.

It seems to me that people of these neighborhoods must like it that way which is why I see so few mixed neighborhoods.

You see this in America. You see it in Britain. America provides by way of example a massive slow down in assimilation over the last decade.

IMO, people of different color, culture, and religion, are much much less interested in mixing with one another than governments tells them they should be.
Mysticmin
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
[QUOTE=Howard]
(Original post by ArisGreenleaf)
Why the hell would anyone want to seperate the races? QUOTE]

Odd thing to say. Where I live I see white neighborhoods, black neighborhoods, hispanic neighborhoods, and vietnamese neighborhoods.

It seems to me that people of these neighborhoods must like it that way which is why I see so few mixed neighborhoods.

You see this in America. You see it in Britain. America provides by way of example a massive slow down in assimilation over the last decade.

IMO, people of different color, culture, and religion, are much much less interested in mixing with one another than governments tells them they should be.
In that case I pity those people that don't want to mix, they're losing out on a lot of experience. I'm proud I have friends from many different cultures and backgrounds.

To be honest, what on earth are they so scared about? I thought only ignorance bred unwillingness to associate with different people.
blissy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by ToshTrent)
I'm a "pure" engish. My Uncle did out family tree back in to the dark years, to a year I can't even imagine how he got the details, and the members of the family have always been English. So you can get a pure race, but extremly rare.

Surely you'd have to research the ancestry of EVERY SINGLE person of your line, or contributing to your line, to make sure that EACH person was "pure" English (e.g. each marriage would have to be checked to make sure each spouse was "pure" also). No-one is "pure" anything.

My nan nearly had a heart attack when my cousin married a black man! She's come round since they've had children though
randdom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I don't have any problem with inter-racial relationships. The only think that is different if you look at biology anyway is skin colour and there is only this different because when you live nearer the poles you don't need as much melenin in your skin so white peoples skin became lighter over millions of years. That is biologically the only diference. culturally there is a difference but I don't see why that is a bad thing if everyone was the same it would get a bit boring. Everyone should try and learn more about different cultures becuase ignorence breeds intollenrence.
Slavery is clearly a very emotive subject and that is understandable. All I can say and I hope that this doesn't come off at racist because it really isn't ment to be is that people shouldn't be blaming all white people for the actions of their ancestors. The people who were involved in slavery are dead as are their children. I am not saying we should forget slaver because it is a dark periode of world history and many valuable lessons have to be learned from it, just that we have to stop placing blame and move forward.
Another point that was bought up earlier on like page 1 or 2 that I wanted to comment on was the comment that white women go for Black guys above white guys and that is bad. I am sorry but this isn't true. Some white girls do date black guys because they are attracted to them, some white girls only date white guys because that is who they attracted to. But the majority will be attracted to both and race won't be and issue for them. Just as some black women date white and black men. I really don't see why this race is an issue people should be able to date and marry whoever they want to.
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by randdom)
I don't have any problem with inter-racial relationships. The only think that is different if you look at biology anyway is skin colour and there is only this different because when you live nearer the poles you don't need as much melenin in your skin so white peoples skin became lighter over millions of years. That is biologically the only diference. culturally there is a difference but I don't see why that is a bad thing if everyone was the same it would get a bit boring. Everyone should try and learn more about different cultures becuase ignorence breeds intollenrence.
Slavery is clearly a very emotive subject and that is understandable. All I can say and I hope that this doesn't come off at racist because it really isn't ment to be is that people shouldn't be blaming all white people for the actions of their ancestors. The people who were involved in slavery are dead as are their children. I am not saying we should forget slaver because it is a dark periode of world history and many valuable lessons have to be learned from it, just that we have to stop placing blame and move forward.
Another point that was bought up earlier on like page 1 or 2 that I wanted to comment on was the comment that white women go for Black guys above white guys and that is bad. I am sorry but this isn't true. Some white girls do date black guys because they are attracted to them, some white girls only date white guys because that is who they attracted to. But the majority will be attracted to both and race won't be and issue for them. Just as some black women date white and black men. I really don't see why this race is an issue people should be able to date and marry whoever they want to.
There are actually quite a few biological differences apart from skin color. Tht explains why some diseases are more common in whites and other diseases in blacks. Blacks for example are much more prone to sickle cell syndrome than whites.
pkonline
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Howard)
Blacks for example are much more prone to sickle cell syndrome than whites.
Isn't that due to geographical differences and the prevalence of other factors like malaria, rather than skin colour?
suspicious_fish
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
In my experience, minority groups are often quite self-isolating; in my old school the Indian kids kept almost entirely to themselves, and often made sure the others couldn't join their conversations by talking in Gudjerati.
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by pkonline)
Isn't that due to geographical differences and the prevalence of other factors like malaria, rather than skin colour?
No. Sickle cell syndrome is no more dependent on geography than altzheimers.
pkonline
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by suspicious_fish)
In my experience, minority groups are often quite self-isolating; in my old school the Indian kids kept almost entirely to themselves, and often made sure the others couldn't join their conversations by talking in Gudjerati.
Did the white kids keep themselves to themselves too? Surely it goes both ways.
pkonline
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
So what is it about 'black' red blood cells that makes them more prone?
blissy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
But isn't skin colour dependent upon geography?

<is rather confused>
suspicious_fish
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Did the white kids keep themselves to themselves too? Surely it goes both ways.
It didn't, actually - we tried to talk to them but they just weren't interested.
Not every single one was like that, but a very large majority.
Helena, a very white Christian friend of mine, was actually amed an "honourary Indian girl" cos they (as a group) liked her, and she kinda became Indian - i.e. acceptable to talk to - in their eyes.
But she was pretty much the only one.
pkonline
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by blissy)
But isn't skin colour dependent upon geography?

<is rather confused>
Same here. I thought the reason why some groups had a higher incidence of SCD was because of the selection preference to being a carrier as it's good against malaria. I didn't know that melanin production affected red blood cells too. I better reread my textbooks cos I have exams in two weeks on this lol :eek:
pkonline
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by suspicious_fish)
It didn't, actually - we tried to talk to them but they just weren't interested.
Not every single one was like that, but a very large majority.
Helena, a very white Christian friend of mine, was actually amed an "honourary Indian girl" cos they (as a group) liked her, and she kinda became Indian - i.e. acceptable to talk to - in their eyes.
But she was pretty much the only one.
That's a shame. Its unfortunate that whilst we do have such a rich ethnic population, the intergration is still lagging behind. It'll take time and effort on both sides to try and rectify the situation
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
So what is it about 'black' red blood cells that makes them more prone?
I don't know. I'm not a doctor. I'm just telling you a fact. That sickle cell syndrome is far far more prevalent amongst blacks than whites. And this is as true in the US as it is in Ethiopia.
suspicious_fish
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
That's a shame. Its unfortunate that whilst we do have such a rich ethnic population, the intergration is still lagging behind. It'll take time and effort on both sides to try and rectify the situation
I understand their isolation, though - when you come from a very different culture you want to be around people who understand that, especially if you're a 1st generation immigrant.
Maybe total integration isn't the ultimate goal, anyway - if people feel more comfortable with "their own kind", maybe they shouldn't be constantly encouraged to mix?
And think of the joy we get from experiencing Chinatown, Little Italy etc - all that would disappear if we had total integration.
pkonline
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I don't know. I'm not a doctor. I'm just telling you a fact. That sickle cell syndrome is far far more prevalent amongst blacks than whites. And this is as true in the US as it is in Ethiopia.
Yes that's true and I'm suggesting that its because of geography and risk of malaria exposure. If we had a huge prevalence of malaria in the UK, we would see a similar prevelence of SCD.
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (204)
12.73%
Excited (139)
8.68%
Worried (291)
18.16%
Terrified (363)
22.66%
Meh (144)
8.99%
Confused (35)
2.18%