The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

pkonline
Yep. Colour is only skin deep. Rather than looking at differences we should look at similarities :smile:.

Your view is admirably optimistic, but perhaps a little naive.
I would be very surprised if people of different races were identical apart from in skin colour. What about Tay-Sachs in Jews?
Howard
That would just kill the very diversity everyone seems to think is so "gr8" in the first place. :confused:

Exactly.
Reply 162
suspicious_fish
I would be very surprised if people of different races were identical apart from in skin colour. What about Tay-Sachs in Jews?

There's a difference between saying populations are genetically different to each other, and accepting that populations (geographical, cultural e.g. alcohol) are prone to, and have higher incidences of, certain genetic diseases.
Reply 163
suspicious_fish

And regardless of that, I think most people are far more attached to their own culture, national identity, and sence of racial, ethnic, and religious heritage than PK seems to realize.

I don't think anybody really objects to interracial marriages anymore. But, I don't think anybody finds a homogenous society an attractive idea.
Reply 164
pkonline
There's a difference between saying populations are genetically different to each other, and accepting that populations (geographical, cultural e.g. alcohol) are prone to, and have higher incidences of, certain genetic diseases.

I don't want to get too biological about this since it really isn't my subject. But surely if there are genetic differences those differences will increase of decrease a propensity for certain diseases won't they?

Or do genes have no bearing on the diseases we suffer?
Reply 165
Howard
And regardless of that, I think most people are far more attached to their own culture, national identity, and sence of racial, ethnic, and religious heritage than PK seems to realize.

I can't understand why you think just cos people marry inter-racially they'll lose their culture. As you say rightly, people cling on to their cultures, so surely they'd want it to continue?

I don't think anybody really objects to interracial marriages anymore. But, I don't think anybody finds a homogenous society an attractive idea.

Nobody wants a homogenous nor a disjointed one.
pkonline

Of course culture isn't genetic, but there are bound to be more physical differences than just skin colour, e.g. susceptibility to certain diseases.
Reply 167
Howard
I beg your pardon? I didn't claim anything of thje sort. I was merely asking you to point out the specific law on sufferage. I'm still waiting.

tisk tisk Howie Howie....
Voting Rights Act of 1965:
http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/42/1971.html

"Other Jim Crow laws did not specifically mention race, but were written and applied in ways that discriminated against blacks. Literacy tests and poll taxes, administered with informal loopholes and trick questions, barred nearly all blacks from voting. For example, though more than 130,000 blacks were registered to vote in Louisiana in 1896, only 1,342 were on the rolls in 1904."

By the way, you did question whether or not equal rights were given...

Howard
What history book are you reading. What equal rights were gained in 1964?
Reply 168
Howard
I don't want to get too biological about this since it really isn't my subject. But surely if there are genetic differences those differences will increase of decrease a propensity for certain diseases won't they?

Or do genes have no bearing on the diseases we suffer?

Yes some do, and populations are gentically susceptible according to the genes they have. I'm saying that the difference in genes is not due to colour, rather the selection pressures put on the population e.g. SCD and malaria. You can't say blacks and whites are genetically different because diseases in one population are more prevalent than in another because it ain't as simple as that.
Rupz
hi i was wondering what peoples views on inter-racial relationship are. do u think we should stick to the same race? or do u think society has changed that people can just get on with it?

In now a days society there is nothing wrong with it, back years ago it was "wrong" but its like a everyday thing you see it almost every where ther is nothing wrong with it. skin color is skin color, if you changed the persons skin color they'd still be the same person on the inside right? I think whats inside counts more than color
Reply 170
pkonline
I can't understand why you think just cos people marry inter-racially they'll lose their culture. As you say rightly, people cling on to their cultures, so surely they'd want it to continue? QUOTE]

Oh come off it! Inter-racially, interculturally, wordplay as you will, it makes no difference. As races blend they lose their original identity.

You've only go to visit Chicago to see that. Chicago boasts the largest Polish community outside Poland (2 million) and already the children of recent immigrants are loosing their language. In turn their children won't be able to do more than count to ten, and their children won't be able to point out Poland on a map!

Intermarriage is obviously going to have dilutionary effects.
Reply 171
superman663j7
In now a days society there is nothing wrong with it, back years ago it was "wrong" but its like a everyday thing you see it almost every where ther is nothing wrong with it. skin color is skin color, if you changed the persons skin color they'd still be the same person on the inside right? I think whats inside counts more than color

Not necessarily.

There's a lot more that separates a white anglo saxon protestant from a black Nigerian moslem than just skin color.
[QUOTE="Howard"]
pkonline
I can't understand why you think just cos people marry inter-racially they'll lose their culture. As you say rightly, people cling on to their cultures, so surely they'd want it to continue? QUOTE]

Oh come off it! Inter-racially, interculturally, wordplay as you will, it makes no difference. As races blend they lose their original identity.

You've only go to visit Chicago to see that. Chicago boasts the largest Polish community outside Poland (2 million) and already the children of recent immigrants are loosing their language. In turn their children won't be able to do more than count to ten, and their children won't be able to point out Poland on a map!

Intermarriage is obviously going to have dilutionary effects.

Absolutely true.
I'm 3rd generation British-Russian, and my grandparents speak fluent Russian, my father no more than enough to get him round on holiday, and me only a few words.
I could have learnt it if I'd made the effort, it's true, but I'm typical of the majority; most people do not make the effort to continue the language and culture.
Reply 173
pkonline
Yes some do, and populations are gentically susceptible according to the genes they have. I'm saying that the difference in genes is not due to colour, rather the selection pressures put on the population e.g. SCD and malaria. You can't say blacks and whites are genetically different because diseases in one population are more prevalent than in another because it ain't as simple as that.

I think you're picking the bone here!

You might be right. Maybe difference in genes is not due to colour per se, but other external factors. So? The fact that different genes exists and that genes have a hell of a lot of influence on what diseases we all suffer is really the relevant point isn' it?
Reply 174
pkonline
But colour and culture aren't the same are they. If we all were 'coffee' coloured then there'd be less racism. And each person will have many cultures to learn from, celebrate etc... It's be gr8 :smile:!

LOL cute
The last picture is of Tiger Woods' parents, by the way.
Howard
Not necessarily.

There's a lot more that separates a white anglo saxon protestant from a black Nigerian moslem than just skin color.

damn those are some big words lol. but I don't understand how there is some people that can accept same sex ones but they can not except biracial ones if it comes to me those people are just plain out cracked out
Reply 176
superman663j7
damn those are some big words lol. but I don't understand how there is some people that can accept same sex ones but they can not except biracial ones if it comes to me those people are just plain out cracked out

A rare bird indeed; someone who accepts homosexual relationships but not inter-racial relationships.
Howard
A rare bird indeed; someone who accepts homosexual relationships but not inter-racial relationships.

I challenge you to find one!
If you think the only difference between blacks and whites is skin color, you obviously havent done your biology studies. Lets be honest here shall we. Blacks are more inclined to mix with whites because they hate being black. i`m sure that may be true of some other non-whites too. For some reason whites seem to excel at most things, like survivalism, abiding by laws and controlling ones emotions. And any honest debater would have to admit the blacks tendency to resort to violence at the drop of a hat. I dont blame the black man for trying to get white women, I blame white women for being stupid enough to allow it to happen. If whites, blacks or any other race wants to ruin their heritage then that is their right, but do not force it upon the rest of us by calling us racists for wanting to preserve whats ours. Some of us do not want to have mulotto children. Whites have been brainwashed into thinking that being white is somehow a bad thing, but the fact is, whites are why the world is as successful as it is. If you break down whats been successful then you are asking for trouble. What would be wrong with the whites that want to mix with blacks going to a black country like west africa and they could have all the blacks they wanted. Why is it that only the successful white countries are targetted to be swarmed by outsiders? Now dont get me wrong, i dont hate non-whites, i just dont believe that intermixing is a good thing for both sides. Obviously if a black can mix with a non-black and lose the kinky hair and the big nose, and the other traits of africans, they seem to think they bettered their future. So wouldnt it stand to think that blacks themselves think badly of their own kind to so badly want to change their appearance? Its funny how whites are the "white devil" until the black wants to genocide his race, then whites will do just fine! Do you not find this to be ludicrous?
Reply 179
suspicious_fish
I challenge you to find one!

Give me a decade will you?

Latest

Trending

Trending