McGivern123
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Not sure if this thread is in the right place, but I'll post it here and in the general "Gaming" thread.

I'm staying in New Medlock House and, as I guessed it would be, the wifi is accessed by logging in through a portal on your browser.
Now this presents a problem for console users, in my case the Xbox 360, because although it will connect to the WiFi itself, it won't connect from wifi to internet, assumably because I haven't exactly "logged in" from my console.

Fix suggestions please? Thanks in advance guys
ZoominglyFree
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Is a Ethernet connection out of the question?

I know keysurf can be annoying, there is usually a work around though.

was actually reading this thread earlier today so might be of some use to you -

http://www.avforums.com/forums/netwo...-problems.html
McGivern123
Rep:
?
Hey guys thanks for your advice, but I emailed StudentCom directly and got a reply from them
For anybody else who wants to know, this is what to do!

1)Connect your laptop to StudentCom Wi-Fi and login at http://bbm.studentcom.co.uk/login
2)Write down the wireless MAC address of your laptop, (for instructions on how to find please response with the operating system of your laptop)
3)On your Xbox you need to go to settings > network > Wireless > Configure > Additional settings > set alternate MAC address
4)In that field you need to enter your laptop’s wireless MAC address then apply the changes
5)Restart your Xbox (make sure you have disconnected your laptop from the wireless)
lonelykatana
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Just wanted to chime in and say that the provided WiFi in my halls last year was terrible (Cambridge halls).
If it's anything like it was there at New Medlock you'll have no luck at all playing games over that connection! It was only available in one room out of 8 in my halls, you couldn't even get it at the far end of the corridor never mind in the kitchen and so on.
When it did work, it was silly slow.

Now having said that, I set up my own router via the Ethernet port in my room.
It's against both hall rules and studentcom's rules, but the odd time staff came into my room for a inspection/fix something they either didn't see my router or the didn't care.

It will bypass your problem of needing to log in with the xbox as well, because as long as your logged on one device on that wifi connection, all devices attached to that router will work with no hassle.

If you have trouble, it's worth a go!
McGivern123
Rep:
?
I contacted StudentCom and they told me to mask my Xbox my using my laptop's MAC as the console's alternate MAC.
That worked for awhile, and then I used an ethernet cable to WiFi bridge from my laptop to Xbox and now that stopped working.

It's ridiculous, the amount of money I'm paying and to not be able to do things to relax.
linderzz
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
So, just to confirm, the way you suggested first time round...Connecting the Xbox to your laptops MAC worked? I'm a big gamer and I also would like to stream TV shows on my Netflix account. I will be buying the 'ultimate' package for this.
McGivern123
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Yeah I did that first but then that stopped working - I contacted studentcom support and asked them to ring me back to explain.

Just so you know, somebody told me that any internet upgrade packages apply to your PC not your console
bravegoat23
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I work in a children home and I was just wondering if there is any information of how to connect a PS4 to east Sussex county council WiFi, it's Christmas soon and they want to have something to enjoy.. Reply ASAP.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 12 Oct '19
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
    Sat, 23 Nov '19

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (206)
23.54%
Pop (216)
24.69%
Jazz (33)
3.77%
Classical (49)
5.6%
Hip-Hop (168)
19.2%
Electronic (60)
6.86%
Indie (143)
16.34%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise