Where to study Psychology? Watch

This discussion is closed.
MP3format
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
Hi,

This is my first post on this site - I've looked around the forums and it seems the majority of people are very helpful when it comes to answering others' questions. Here's my situation:

I'm currently in Year 12 studying four AS levels - Psychology, Music, English Literature and Chemistry. I would ideally like to study Psychology in further education. My main question is - could anyone reccomend any universities for psychology? I'm also not entirely sure what I'd like to do when I'm older, could anyone suggest any ideas of uni courses (not necessarily psychology based), from my AS levels. Also, what careers could come from studying Psychology at uni?

Any suggestions regarding the above would be useful.

Thanks.
James_W
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I think the original poster would be referring to a British university.

My friend will be going to Cardiff which has a very good Psychology department.. also Nottingham have supposedly the best department. It depends though - what are you predicted?
ruthiepoothie
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/section/0,,6734,00.html

This gives one view on it.
Although, you should really go with where is realsitic for you to be accepted, and where you like the best. I am due to be doing psychology at Birmingham in September. Many people feel that i am stupid for choosing Birmingham over Warwick- but I felt that the Birmingham department was better as it was bigger and i just liked it more
Have a good look round all the universities before applying or making a decision.

With regards to careers in Psychology, there are http://www.bps.org.uk/careers/careers.cfm

these main ones in Psychology...but many psychology graduates go into different things such as journalism, media, teaching, advertising, business, law etc..... many professions want you to have a degree and are not specific about which subject it needs to be in....

I would advise you to choose a degree that you think you will enjoy, at a place you will enjoy....check out all the course brochures first to make sure that you know what the course involves...

Good luck!

Ruthie
xxxx
VoodooDoll
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
hey, i'm off to do a psychology degree at bath and have my heart set on clinical psychology after i graduate. don't worry about not knowing what you want to do after you're degree, psychology gives you loads of options like any other degree but there are quite a few psychology related careers like forensic psychology, educational, counselling or just plain old research.

at bath they do a sandwich year where you get to work in a field of psychology of your choice for a year which is a great idea for getting some experience before you graduate and checking out what a particular career is like.

other uni's good fo psychology are nottingham, durham, warwick, cardiff, newcastle, oxford (although their psychology degree is much more experimental), ucl, york and st andrews.... there are l;oads of others that are really good though too....

good luck
VoodooDoll
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by ReturnofGnostic)
The C G Jung Institute in Zurich is the finest school for psychology in the world.
i don't think the jung institute even does degrees in psychology, only diploma's in psycholanalysis and course about Jung's theories which are available to qualified psychiatrists only...

yale would probably be the best uni in the world for psychology imo.
hohum
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by MP3format)
Hi,

This is my first post on this site - I've looked around the forums and it seems the majority of people are very helpful when it comes to answering others' questions. Here's my situation:

I'm currently in Year 12 studying four AS levels - Psychology, Music, English Literature and Chemistry. I would ideally like to study Psychology in further education. My main question is - could anyone reccomend any universities for psychology? I'm also not entirely sure what I'd like to do when I'm older, could anyone suggest any ideas of uni courses (not necessarily psychology based), from my AS levels. Also, what careers could come from studying Psychology at uni?

Any suggestions regarding the above would be useful.

Thanks.
Great thing about applying to do psychology is that you can apply to ANY university seeing as it's such a popular course. Also, all the good unis are all acredited by the BPS (british psych soc) which means that they all have to pretty much stick to the same modules so that means that all the courses are similar....leaving you to choose which uni suits you best etc. I got offers from Bristol, york, manchester, sheffield, cardiff and exeter....but decided to go to sheffield even though york n bristol have a better rep cos it looked like mroe fun and less work good luck in your applications! also...psychology students only have four-seven hours of lectures a week...it's all good!
ellthepirate
Report 15 years ago
I do it at Manchester (second year). I love it but partly because I really love Manchester. The course is pretty good - university rankings for psychology are somewhere in the Times university guide ( http://www.timesonline.co.uk/section/0,,716,00.html ) and I think Manchester was only about 19th when I applied, but to be honest, any university in the top 30 is going to give you a decent education. After that it just depends on how much effort you put into it - if you have the ability and are willing to work hard enough to get a first or 2:1, then you'll get one anywhere.

The only thing I would recommend is to investigate the course options at different universities (because the degrees have to be accredited there'll be a lot of compulsory courses - ours were all compulsory for the first two years with only one optional elective in first year - but in third year we can choose what we like). I know it's a bit early to try and think about it but you can see what's on offer... also look at the percentage of your degree that's made up of coursework, and whether you have to do a research project or a dissertaion, or both. It can vary quite a lot. Ours is half coursework, which is very good for me as I'm not too good at exams.

And I'm sure this is evident but make sure you go to a place you really want to live in, wherever that may be - I think the goodness of the course is secondary to that.

Good luck investigating!
vavavoom
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I'm going to study Psychology next year too. I applied to York, Nottingham, Durham, Oxford, Royal Holloway, and St. Andrews. I'll be hopefully going to Notts. Hope this info helps.
MP3format
Thanks very much for the help everyone.

Anyone else have any suggestions?
Tigger1986
Report 15 years ago
University of Wales, Bangor also has a brilliant reputation and is quite cheap there to live!!
vavavoom
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Thanks very much for the help everyone.

Anyone else have any suggestions?
What kind of suggestions?
Leaby
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
The great thing about studying psychology is that there is a fairly standard degree which does not vary too much among different universities as the majority of them offer BPS accredited degrees. Obviously, you should check that a potential course choice has this accreditation otherwise you cannot go on to be a chartered psychologist. If this isn't part of your career goal, your options of course remain open.
Really, it comes down to the sort of university you are looking for... Which is what, incidently?
MP3format
Thanks everyone.

Does anyone know anything about a course at Nottingham called Psychology and Cognitive Neurology?

Thanks again.
vavavoom
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Thanks everyone.

Does anyone know anything about a course at Nottingham called Psychology and Cognitive Neurology?

Thanks again.
You should send a message to .NK who is on this forum. She studies Psychology @ Notts.
MP3format
(Original post by vavavoom)
You should send a message to .NK who is on this forum. She studies Psychology @ Notts.
Thanks for the information. I've only heard good things about Nottingham's psychology department.
vavavoom
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Thanks for the information. I've only heard good things about Nottingham's psychology department.
Yea! The course is sooo perfect I can't wait to go there.
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (65)
14.19%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (70)
15.28%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (89)
19.43%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (185)
40.39%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (21)
4.59%
No particular grades needed (28)
6.11%