The Student Room Group

How limited are my choices?

Due to various issues, I started college a year later and was forced to take a Btec Extended diploma in IT, anyway, I just started year 2 and I'm predicted D* D* D, but I don't want to do anything IT based in uni. How limited are my options? Any ideas on what I might be able to do? Any courses which are even remotely respected?
Ok, so you don't want to do anything IT based. Whilst that is useful information, it's not enough - what do you want to do at uni / career-wise?

You've given us very little to go on, truth be told.
Reply 2
Original post by Origami Bullets
Ok, so you don't want to do anything IT based. Whilst that is useful information, it's not enough - what do you want to do at uni / career-wise?

You've given us very little to go on, truth be told.

Thanks for the reply! At this point, I really don't know. Initially, I wanted to do Medical Materials Bsc and QMU but they said I'd need AS mathematics, I then tried Medical Engineering at Surrey and a few others and they told me the same thing. I'd like to do something 'science' based, maybe forensics or something, but I'm pretty sure most unis will ask for biology or something. I'm very unsure of what I want to do because I don't know what my options are anymore.
Could you study for AS mathmatics alongside your BTEC, or the year after you finish? Would any university accept you onto a relevant foundation year if you don't have enough maths/science specific knowledge?

If you want to do something like the courses you've already expressed an interest in, then it's not impossible at this stage if the only thing stopping you is AS maths (provided you are not completely maths-phobic). I think it would be possible to do this idependently, whilst working part time during a gap year. This might also enable you to save up some money towards your living costs at university.
Reply 4
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
Could you study for AS mathmatics alongside your BTEC, or the year after you finish? Would any university accept you onto a relevant foundation year if you don't have enough maths/science specific knowledge?

If you want to do something like the courses you've already expressed an interest in, then it's not impossible at this stage if the only thing stopping you is AS maths (provided you are not completely maths-phobic). I think it would be possible to do this idependently, whilst working part time during a gap year. This might also enable you to save up some money towards your living costs at university.

Thanks for the reply! I really don't want to be behind another year though. It was hard enough seeing all my friends go to uni this year and me having to stay behind for another year. I definitely want to go this year, for other reasons also, I'm having a lot of family issues and really just want to get away.
Original post by Zuki
Thanks for the reply! I really don't want to be behind another year though. It was hard enough seeing all my friends go to uni this year and me having to stay behind for another year. I definitely want to go this year, for other reasons also, I'm having a lot of family issues and really just want to get away.

Study AS maths alongside your BTEC. That would be the best option. It wouldn't take you an extra year and you can still go to university in 2014.
Reply 6
Original post by Knalchemist
Study AS maths alongside your BTEC. That would be the best option. It wouldn't take you an extra year and you can still go to university in 2014.

I'll definitely look into it with my college on Monday. I probably won't be able to afford it privately though.. Assuming I can't do it, would what you recommend my next best option to be?
Original post by Zuki
Thanks for the reply! At this point, I really don't know. Initially, I wanted to do Medical Materials Bsc and QMU but they said I'd need AS mathematics, I then tried Medical Engineering at Surrey and a few others and they told me the same thing. I'd like to do something 'science' based, maybe forensics or something, but I'm pretty sure most unis will ask for biology or something. I'm very unsure of what I want to do because I don't know what my options are anymore.

Unfortunately it seems like your chances of getting into most unis to do a science course straight off are fairly limited. Have you considered doing something like this? It's a life sciences foundation course, which can get you onto any LS course at Manchester, provided that you get the grades during the foundation year http://www.ls.manchester.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/foundationyear/

If you're more interested in the engineering side of things, then there's an EPS equivalent here http://www.foundationstudies.eps.manchester.ac.uk/

Of course, I would suggest contacting the department before you apply just to check that they will accept your BTEC, but it seems hopeful.

Other unis do do a foundation course, it's not just Manchester, but it's probably one of the best options that you have right now.
Original post by Zuki
I'll definitely look into it with my college on Monday. I probably won't be able to afford it privately though.. Assuming I can't do it, would what you recommend my next best option to be?

You can sit AS Maths yourself.

Buy an AS Maths book, and read it. It will have exercises to do. Go on to the AQA website and print off past papers, and do those. Quite a lot of students do this. You only have to pay for the text book, and your exam (about £20 - £50 per exam). If you sit it at your college, you'll already be on their system so it shouldn't be that expensive.
Reply 9
Thanks for all your help guys!
Reply 10
Have you looked at foundation years?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending