The Student Room Group

Help no college willing to accept to retake year 12

Please dont make fun of me, this has really been stressing me out.
i'm a fairly good student normally, i have good gcse grades ( 2a* , 6a, 2b). I studied at a grammar school for my as levels. I totally bombed my As results, they were horrible. I wasn't feeling well during exam season which affected my revision and performance. I didn't revise as early as i should have. I had to force myself to attend the exams i attended. I actually didn't attend two of my exams which caused me to fail chemistry and psychology. I had very bad gastroenteritis ( vomiting, violent diarrhea). This is all documented by my previous school with a doctors note.
These are my as grades:
Biology - C grade
Maths -D grade
Chemistry- U grade -I missed the unit 2 exam
Psychology- U grade - I missed the unit 2 exam

Obviously i was kicked out of my sixth form for the bad grades. I tried applying to other colleges to retake year 12.They wont let me as i have failed chemistry, they think that i wont be able to cope with the work. They want me to try doing Btec chemistry but i NEED chemistry A level as i want to do a pharmacy degree.
I wasn't a bad student, i was predicted abcc for AS by my teachers. I didn't find chemistry hard. I wasn't organized enough during exam season and my illness affected me during the last week of exam period.
This whole thing makes me feel like a failure, i couldn't eat or sleep for these past weeks. Its hard finding a college willing to take to me to retake year 12. it feels like i'm never going to be able to go to university. My previous school is sending a referencing explaining that never took my unit 2 exams for chem and psychology.
I really worried that the college wont accept these as special circumstances. my previous school has the doctors note but i'm scared they won't explain that situation fully.
I REALLY want to try HARDER and get better grades. I just feel hopeless now :frown:
What do i do if there are no longer any spaces for my subjects or if i'm not accepted to retake year 12??????
I feel sooo stressed, i'm soo sorry i rambled on for sooo long.
Have you looked at Access courses? It looks like that's your only option....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Sheldor
Have you looked at Access courses? It looks like that's your only option....

Posted from TSR Mobile

i'm only 17 , i want to do a levels
Reply 3
Could you take the AS exams as a private candidate and then apply to join a college at year 13? If you did well then you'd have the evidence that you need to prove that you do have the ability to do Chemistry.

Alternatively you could look at access courses as has been suggested or contact a few universities that you're interested in and ask them for their opinion on how to proceed. Admissions departments at universities are normally quite helpful in that sense I've found.
I was in a kind of similar situation. I wanted to restart the year with different subjects but apparently because of funding cuts, a lot of colleges were not allowed to do that anymore.

They did tell me though, that if it was for medical reasons, they would be able to take you in, it depends on how lenient the college is.

Also, do you have specific colleges in mind or will you be open to any college?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by StellarProjections
I was in a kind of similar situation. I wanted to restart the year with different subjects but apparently because of funding cuts, a lot of colleges were not allowed to do that anymore.

They did tell me though, that if it was for medical reasons, they would be able to take you in, it depends on how lenient the college is.

Also, do you have specific colleges in mind or will you be open to any college?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Honestly,i will go to any college. i don't mind
Original post by safarichik

Try all the other FE colleges that do A Levels around you. I had to be turned down by 4 colleges before I was given a place. It wasn't a good experience, I'm just glad I'm still in education.

Just do it as soon as possible while colleges are still accepting late enrolees and goodluck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
There are loads of good private colleges that allow retakes. If you're in london, I can give you the full list!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by safarichik

Also try sixthforms in your area, chances are you will find somewhere I think your main problem will be that you left it too late rather then your grades. Goodluck:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest