The Student Room Group

King's College London EMDP 2014 Applicants

Waited for this thread to come up but it didn't so I decided to make it :smile:

They had a thread for this course last year so now it's our turn.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2121021 (Last year thread)

Who's applying here then?

Post any questions, advice or anything else here so that we can all help each other out and get a place :biggrin:

Useful information about the course -

https://www.kcl.ac.uk/prospectus/undergraduate/index/name/emdp/alpha/e/header_search/

http://www.kcl.ac.uk/medicine/study/ug/mbbs/2014-EMDP-schools-list.pdf

Good Luck everyone!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey! :biggrin:
I'll be applying here too. I was waiting for this thread too, thought no one would create one - guess I thought wrong haha :wink:
I'm thinking of it.
Reply 3
I am definitely applying! I've been to King's so many times last academic year - I am literally in love with Guy's Campus. I was waiting for this thread too!

So from what I know they put more weight on your Personal Statement and the interview (please tell me this is still true). Do GCSE count carry weight as well?
Reply 4
Original post by cngentles
I am definitely applying! I've been to King's so many times last academic year - I am literally in love with Guy's Campus. I was waiting for this thread too!

So from what I know they put more weight on your Personal Statement and the interview (please tell me this is still true). Do GCSE count carry weight as well?

I think they assess your personal statement and use it to decide whether to invite a student for an interview or not...
I'm not quite sure... But I think they look at everything - predicted grades, AS grades, GCSEs, UKCAT, Personal Statement and most importantly, they put emphasis on work experience/voluntary work :biggrin:
Reply 5
Original post by TheBestDon
I think they assess your personal statement and use it to decide whether to invite a student for an interview or not...
I'm not quite sure... But I think they look at everything - predicted grades, AS grades, GCSEs, UKCAT, Personal Statement and most importantly, they put emphasis on work experience/voluntary work :biggrin:

OK thanks :smile:. My GCSE's are amazing (1A*, 3A's, the rest B's) but my AS grades and UKCAT should make up for it.

Still refining my Personal Statement - it is a pain in the butt!!!:mad:
it's like when i have finally "finished" it and it all fits onto UCAS, I suddenly realised something else I wanted to add. It's so stressful.
OK thanks :smile:. My GCSE's are amazing (1A*, 3A's, the rest B's) but my AS grades and UKCAT should make up for it.

it's like when i have finally "finished" it and it all fits onto UCAS, I suddenly realised something else I wanted to add. It's so stressful.

I assume you meant "aren't amazing" ? :tongue: because you said AS and UKCAT will make up for it
Reply 7
Original post by NikoB
I assume you meant "aren't amazing" ? :tongue: because you said AS and UKCAT will make up for it

Yeah, sorry :colondollar:
Reply 8
Yh I'm applying to it. I qualify so thought might as well give it a shot! Plus I absolutely love Kings :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'll probably apply but kings probably won't give accommodation to us :frown: and I want halls experience!
I've just started on the EMDP. Best of luck to all of you applying here!
Reply 11
BBBC at AS. C in chemistry and could be predicted AAA but more likely AAB. Havent done ukcat yet and not much work expo or volunteer work. Should i apply, take a gap yar, do biomed grad entry, do medicine abroad?
Reply 12
Original post by tsrking
BBBC at AS. C in chemistry and could be predicted AAA but more likely AAB. Havent done ukcat yet and not much work expo or volunteer work. Should i apply, take a gap yar, do biomed grad entry, do medicine abroad?

I'd say if your predicted 3As, then go for it. But if your not, then your chances are very slim.
However, you have got less work experience so that may be a setback. It would be better to gain more work experience/voluntary work, get the 3As, and then apply next year :smile:
Reply 13

Don't worry, my GCSEs are quite weak too. What did you get for AS, and what's your UKCAT like?
Same with me, the personal statement has to be on point. Pretty worried :colondollar:
I'd say if your predicted 3As, then go for it. But if your not, then your chances are very slim.
However, you have got less work experience so that may be a setback. It would be better to gain more work experience/voluntary work, get the 3As, and then apply next year :smile:

That's not necessarily true, emdp offers are AAA or BBB depending on the school you go to. If your school average academic is higher than the national, you have to be predicted AAA.
Reply 15
Original post by NikoB
That's not necessarily true, emdp offers are AAA or BBB depending on the school you go to. If your school average academic is higher than the national, you have to be predicted AAA.

I'm aware of that... But you cannot solely depend on Kings EMDP offer.. If your predicted AAB or ABB, you may be invited to an interview for Kings EMDP, but you will be rejected from most other unis for the standard 5 year course.
I'm aware of that... But you cannot solely depend on Kings EMDP offer.. If your predicted AAB or ABB, you may be invited to an interview for Kings EMDP, but you will be rejected from most other unis for the standard 5 year course.

Oh right that's fine. HYMS are the only A100 school to accept AAB+
Reply 17
Original post by NikoB
Oh right that's fine. HYMS are the only A100 school to accept AAB+

Yeah but then again, their offer is AAA.
Along with that, they have a cut off in the amount of students invited to an interview (approximately 480). Also many people with 700+ in their UKCAT may apply, so getting an interview is pretty hard I suppose?
Anyways, where you applying if you don't mind me asking mate? :smile:
Reply 18
God this makes me feel old. *applied for 2004 entry* good luck everyone! :smile:
Yeah but then again, their offer is AAA.
Along with that, they have a cut off in the amount of students invited to an interview (approximately 480). Also many people with 700+ in their UKCAT may apply, so getting an interview is pretty hard I suppose?
Anyways, where you applying if you don't mind me asking mate? :smile:

That's true, I was going to apply to hyms but then I thought with the automatic interview of 700+ it'll be too much competition!
I'm thinking of Manchester Aberdeen, Exeter, UEA, Leeds and emdp :smile:
Yourself?

Quick Reply

Latest