The Student Room Group

piercing, hair and uni interview

I am applying for vet nursing and have five facial piercings, I'm happy to take these out for the uni interviews if it will help me to get into uni, but I've had them for so long its still obvious that i'm pierced when they are out, will this matter? also I'm a male with long hair and will not be cutting it, will this have any impact?
Reply 1
It shouldn't however, sadly it probably will. You should treat a university interview like a job interview, so you may have to do something about your hair during the interviewing process.
sorry, i know thats not what you wanted to hear, but thats the truth.
On paper they're probably not allowed to discriminate, so you'd have grounds to appeal if you thought they'd treated you differently based on your piercings. Even if you are pierced, they'll be able to see that you took them out for the interview, so they'll see that you know when it's not appropriate to wear them. I'd imagine that your hair will be less of an issue, so long as you look presentable (not at implying that you wouldn't make the effort, but I know from experience that long hair takes infinitely longer to care for than short! :tongue: )
Reply 3
Thanks for the advice, I always make sure my hair is clean, neat and I will tie up back really neatly too. I will get a trim before the interview and be clean shaven too so hopefully it will be fine, there is no way I could bring my self to cut it though.
Reply 4
There is a guy with chin length hair-actually I'd say longer, he can tie it back-now in final year at my school. He was the student council president last year and is really nice.

I agree with others, as long as you look clean and presentable and show you respect the profession, it *shouldn't* matter. Having said that, as a nurse you would be assisting in surgery, restraining animals etc. etc. so long dangly jewellery, things that could get caught, hair not tied back (can get caught) and NOT looking professional may discourage a uni, as these things would not be appropriate in the profession. If possible, I would probably recommend studs and/or taking the piercings out as more subtle/less likely to get caught and therefore more respectful/aware of risk options. But that's just me-by no means am I knowledgeable in this area.

Best of luck with your interview and (hopeful) future career!
Reply 5
At a practice where I did work experience the trainee vet nurse had a few piercings on his face and quite a lot in his ears and he obviously is getting on fine, so it does happen. Just make sure you look presentable at interview to show that you understand the need for it, and it shouldn't be too bad. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I once got told off for wearing small dangly earrings at a placement and since then I don't wear earrings, and if I do only studs as these can't get caught by animals etc. As others have said, wearing jewellery that is not going to get caught is probably a good idea. I have quite long hair, and for interviews / placements I always have to tie it back and pin back any shorter bits so they stay out of my face.

The choice is up to you. If you are really worried that they may discriminate you (as others have said, if you wear sensible jewellery and are portraying a clean, professional image you should be fine) I guess it wouldn't hurt to take them out just for the interview.
I've found 'If in doubt, leave it out' to be such a useful rule for life in all things, from piercings to punctuation to all manner of other things you might hesitate to put in somewhere, that I'll just chuck it in here for observation.
Reply 8
just random questionr elated to appearances.. but what about couloured hair? As inif you have blond hair with a blue streaks or browniwth red tips, would that be really frowned upon? (looking to dye them ;p )
Reply 9
I don't think so Maudee, but as others have said if concerned, can you wait til AFTER the interviews?
Original post by Tarnia
I don't think so Maudee, but as others have said if concerned, can you wait til AFTER the interviews?

yeah I was planning to wait anyways but I saw this thread so out of curiosity felt like asking :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending