The Student Room Group
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University

Aberystwyth Applicants 2014 Megathread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hattie19959
HEY!

Im applying to do Medieval History at Bangor, Trinity St Davids, Aber, Lancaster and Hull. I just wondered if anyone else was doing medieval history? Or had received offers from the other uni?

Xo :biggrin:

Hey Hattie19959,

I've moved your thread into the 2014 megathread. In here you'll find people who are applying to Aber this year. :smile:
With regards to other universities, please discuss them in their own forums.

Thanks,
The Optimistic Ram.
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University
Reply 21
I finally got my application sent today for History after my reference was completed.

Fingers crossed now, and good luck to everyone else as well!! :biggrin:
Original post by M!17
I finally got my application sent today for History after my reference was completed.

Fingers crossed now, and good luck to everyone else as well!! :biggrin:

Good luck M!17 and likewise to everyone else.

Make sure you all check out the Entrance Scholarships aswell. A high percentage of applicants that take them get something from them, as not many people know/take them. Unconditional offers and money prizes are up for grabs!
Reply 23
Got an offer for History today! :smile:
Original post by M!17

Woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooohooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
:dancing::dancing::dancing::dancing::dancing::dancing::dancing::dancing:
Congratulations, now just to get the grades needed. :smile:
Reply 25
Original post by M!17

Congrats! :smile:
Reply 26
Original post by The Optimistic Ram
Woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooohooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
:dancing::dancing::dancing::dancing::dancing::dancing::dancing::dancing:
Congratulations, now just to get the grades needed. :smile:

Yeah haha, thank you! :smile:
Reply 27
Original post by Jena116

Thank you, its much appreciated! :smile:
Reply 28
Original post by M!17

Congrats! What was the offer?
Reply 29
Original post by Lipvig
Congrats! What was the offer?

Thanks! It was a minimum of 300 UCAS points with a B in one of my A levels.
(edited 10 years ago)
Just got an offer today for Accounting and Finance, I'm so excited:biggrin:. I sent my application off 6 days ago and have been constantly refreshing track ever since. Has everyone else got this?:

You will qualify for a Residential Bursary of £400 off your first year accommodation in University owned facilities provided you hold our offer firmly as your first choice.
Reply 31
Original post by BlueSkyGirl
Just got an offer today for Accounting and Finance, I'm so excited:biggrin:. I sent my application off 6 days ago and have been constantly refreshing track ever since. Has everyone else got this?:

You will qualify for a Residential Bursary of £400 off your first year accommodation in University owned facilities provided you hold our offer firmly as your first choice.

Reply 32

I am pretty sure they said that to me too re: the bursary :smile:
Original post by M!17

Cool, I was just checking because I don't remember them mentioning it at the open day. :smile:
Sent off my application yesterday! Now I have to wait to see if I get an offer for physics (I really hope I do!) Is the physics with space physics a popular course? :smile:
Hi, applied for a marine biology course about 3 weeks ago and haven't heard anything, but my friend, who applied for history heard back in 4 days? Any reason why it's taking so long?? Really want to get in!!
Just got an offer today for Accounting and Finance, I'm so excited:biggrin:. I sent my application off 6 days ago and have been constantly refreshing track ever since. Has everyone else got this?

Great job on getting the offer! Glad you're excited about the prospect of coming to Aber next year. :smile:

Two years ago it was £800 and I'm told before that it was £1200, the amount is going down pretty quickly. However, whatever the amount it's a nice thing to get. :smile: To get more money I'd advise looking into the Entrance scholarships, not many people take them and they have a set amount of money to give out. For merit awards you get £1000 grant and a unconditional offer, full scholarships get grants up to the value of £1200 yearly for the duration of the course. :smile:
I'd very much recommend everyone to do it, as not many people do and all it is a two 2 hour exams. Nothing to stress massively about but something that could be very valuable to you. The unconditional offer is priceless come the summer when everyone's getting stressed over exams and you can take your exams knowing regardless of what happens, you are definitely going to Aber in September.

Original post by M!17

Yep, £400 residential bursary for those applicants that put Aber as their firm choice.

Original post by lottiehayman96
Sent off my application yesterday! Now I have to wait to see if I get an offer for physics (I really hope I do!) Is the physics with space physics a popular course? :smile:

Fingers crossed that you get a reply soon. :smile:
I'd say that although obviously there will be the more popular courses, for example at Aber the general rule is if you don't know what course someones doing you presume it's InterPol...as that's pretty much the 'big' subject here, all courses at any university are similarly popular. This is because there are so many courses that the amount of people that take the precise course isn't a massive number.

Don't think that for the whole 3 years or however long the course is you'll be stuck with the same people at every lecture, you wont. That isn't how university works. You'll take modules that other courses take, for your example you will find that you will be with the different physics courses a lot, so will be mixed in with lots of other people. You aren't just put in a 'physics with space physics' classroom and left to get on with it.

Original post by cheekymonkey17
Hi, applied for a marine biology course about 3 weeks ago and haven't heard anything, but my friend, who applied for history heard back in 4 days? Any reason why it's taking so long?? Really want to get in!!

Hi there cheekymonkey17!

There are and could be many reasons that your application has taken longer than your friend's application did. One of the main ones is that they are for different subjects. Each department reviews the applications independently so each department have their own way of doing things. One department may decide to wait and hold the applications until a certain date, for example until after the UCAS cut off date in January for equal consideration on the offers. Then another department may give out offers on a regular basis when the applications are sent in and another department may give out offers in monthly batches or similar. It just all depends on that given department so I wouldn't worry about the wait on a decision. Remember that universities have until May to reply to applicants so it is still very early on in the process. Don't fret about anything and carry on living your life, yes check on UCAS track every few days or so, but don't sit there refreshing the page 24/7 as it wont help and will only get you more anxious.

I hope my reply helps someway and fingers crossed that you get some good news in the near future.

Thanks and good luck! :smile:

The Optimistic Ram.
Got an offer today :biggrin: So happy! :smile::smile:
Reply 38
Original post by lottiehayman96
Got an offer today :biggrin: So happy! :smile::smile:

Original post by Jena116

thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest