The Student Room Group

Applying for Chemical Engineering

Ok, so I need your help to decide what to do. I currently have two different situations in which I will apply to study chemical engineering next year; here are the facts about my application.
- I received AABC in my AS in Maths, Chemistry, Biology and Geography(Dropped) respectively.
- I believe my predicted grades will be A*AA.
- I believe my reference and personal statement will be of a good quality.
- My school is described as being in an area of "heavy social deprivation"

My two applying situations are...
Option 1:.......................Option 2:
-Cambridge.....................-Bath
-Bath ............................- Birmingham
-Birmingham ...................-Nottingham
-Surrey .........................- Surrey
-(Not sure) .....................-Not sure

Ok, so my question is what is the likelihood of receiving offers from Bath, Birmingham,Nottingham and Surrey? Because if the chances are good I may apply for Cambridge, but I need help. What should I do?What are my chances of receiving offers?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
bump
Reply 2
Bump
Reply 3
Anyone???
Original post by podrodow1
Ok, so I need your help to decide what to do. I currently have two different situations in which I will apply to study chemical engineering next year; here are the facts about my application.
- I received AABC in my AS in Maths, Chemistry, Biology and Geography(Dropped) respectively.

Ok, so my question is what is the likelihood of receiving offers from Bath, Birmingham,Nottingham and Surrey? Because if the chances are good I may apply for Cambridge, but I need help. What should I do?What are my chances of receiving offers?

Given the information provided, you stand a fair chance of getting offers from the four universities. For Cambridge, your personal statement and reference will need to be very strong.
Reply 5
Original post by Ade9000
Given the information provided, you stand a fair chance of getting offers from the four universities. For Cambridge, your personal statement and reference will need to be very strong.

Thanks, that useful and reassuring to know. Have you ever known of anyone to get an offer with AS grades like mine from Cambridge, bearing in mind my average UMS was 82% and my GCSE were probably below average. Also, are you studying ChemEng? and if so where?
Thanks, that useful and reassuring to know. Have you ever known of anyone to get an offer with AS grades like mine from Cambridge, bearing in mind my average UMS was 82% and my GCSE were probably below average. Also, are you studying ChemEng? and if so where?

Well..no. I also forgot to mention, Cambridge have a preference of subjects they want to have. They require Maths, Chemistry and Physics at A-level, with Further Maths at AS, so that will also hurt your chances.

I study Chem Eng at UCL.
Reply 7
Original post by Ade9000
Well..no. I also forgot to mention, Cambridge have a preference of subjects they want to have. They require Maths, Chemistry and Physics at A-level, with Further Maths at AS, so that will also hurt your chances.

I study Chem Eng at UCL.

Are you sure? If you go via the Natural Sciences route I thought it was just Maths and a Science subject?
Are you sure? If you go via the Natural Sciences route I thought it was just Maths and a Science subject?

Oh right. Forgot about that.

Given the information, Cambridge may unlikely - the average successful applicant has between 94-96% UMS average over their top three most relevant subjects, so you are seriously going to be up against some competition. From reading posts by the Corpus admissions tutor who is floating around somewhere on this site, with less that 85% UMS average you may struggle to get an interview. However, you do come from a particularly bad school and so they may take this into consideration. I would say that don't get your hopes up but since if you don't apply you haven't got any chance, you may as well apply - you still have 4 more spaces left for safer choices.
I don't know about the exact entrance requirements for your universities, but most of them are likely to be reasonably high. I would advise applying to 1/ 2 'aspirational' choices - a grade or two about your likely grades (rather than predicted - so for you AAB are your likely grades assuming you didn't get 90%+ in any of your ASs so A*AA is fine for an aspirational choice course - probably Cambridge/ Bath/ Nottingham?). Then pick 2/3 at your likely grades (AAB/ AAA - probably Birmingham/ Surrey/ Nottingham?). Finally, pick a 'safe' choice below your likely grades - probably ABB/ BBB. However, make sure you would feel happy studying at any of the universities you apply for, don't just base it on grades - some universities may be surprisingly lenient on their entrance grades, whereas others may be much tougher.
I would say that you should have a good chance at receiving offers from most of the universities on your list, so an application to Cambridge would be worth considering. Your only difficulty may be achieving your offer grades - as I said, try to have a safer insurance choice just in case your exams don't go as well as you had hoped. A2 is much harder than AS so there is no guarantee you'll be able to move up a grade in one/two subjects, or even keep the same grades.
You're coming up fairly close to the Cambridge application deadline, so make sure you have perfected your personal statement and completed most of your UCAS form pretty soon - remember that your school needs to attach your reference and predicted grades in this time too and so submit your application preferably a week or more before the deadline to give them plenty of time to do this - they may have their own internal deadlines too (e.g. my college required us to complete our form three weeks before the official deadline).

EDIT: I also just realised that you didn't do Physics A level, which may be a small problem for some universities - double check their entrance requirements to confirm that it isn't required :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by dragonkeeper999
Given the information, Cambridge may unlikely - the average successful applicant has between 94-96% UMS average over their top three most relevant subjects, so you are seriously going to be up against some competition. From reading posts by the Corpus admissions tutor who is floating around somewhere on this site, with less that 85% UMS average you may struggle to get an interview. However, you do come from a particularly bad school and so they may take this into consideration. I would say that don't get your hopes up but since if you don't apply you haven't got any chance, you may as well apply - you still have 4 more spaces left for safer choices.
I don't know about the exact entrance requirements for your universities, but most of them are likely to be reasonably high. I would advise applying to 1/ 2 'aspirational' choices - a grade or two about your likely grades (rather than predicted - so for you AAB are your likely grades assuming you didn't get 90%+ in any of your ASs so A*AA is fine for an aspirational choice course - probably Cambridge/ Bath/ Nottingham?). Then pick 2/3 at your likely grades (AAB/ AAA - probably Birmingham/ Surrey/ Nottingham?). Finally, pick a 'safe' choice below your likely grades - probably ABB/ BBB. However, make sure you would feel happy studying at any of the universities you apply for, don't just base it on grades - some universities may be surprisingly lenient on their entrance grades, whereas others may be much tougher.
I would say that you should have a good chance at receiving offers from most of the universities on your list, so an application to Cambridge would be worth considering. Your only difficulty may be achieving your offer grades - as I said, try to have a safer insurance choice just in case your exams don't go as well as you had hoped. A2 is much harder than AS so there is no guarantee you'll be able to move up a grade in one/two subjects, or even keep the same grades.
You're coming up fairly close to the Cambridge application deadline, so make sure you have perfected your personal statement and completed most of your UCAS form pretty soon - remember that your school needs to attach your reference and predicted grades in this time too and so submit your application preferably a week or more before the deadline to give them plenty of time to do this - they may have their own internal deadlines too (e.g. my college required us to complete our form three weeks before the official deadline).

EDIT: I also just realised that you didn't do Physics A level, which may be a small problem for some universities - double check their entrance requirements to confirm that it isn't required :smile:

All the Uni's require just Chemistry and Maths, so I am ok on the entrance requirement front. And with regards to finding an ABB Uni, I can't find one which Is of a reasonable quality.....I have looked but the lowest I can find that i'd be happy to attend is Surrey which is AAB :/
All the Uni's require just Chemistry and Maths, so I am ok on the entrance requirement front. And with regards to finding an ABB Uni, I can't find one which Is of a reasonable quality.....I have looked but the lowest I can find that i'd be happy to attend is Surrey which is AAB :/

As long as you meet their subject requirements you should be fine then :smile:
If you feel pretty confident with achieving AAB+ then having Surrey as your insurance choice should be fine - there is no point applying to a university you don't really like just because they require lower grades :smile: You may find that some unis are slightly more flexible on grades anyway...

Quick Reply

Latest