Turn on thread page Beta

I hate it when non vegetarians ie meat eaters claim to hate animal cruelty when they are flipping people causing the demand to kill the animal in the first place.
    If you eat meat YOU are the reason behind its death and the appealing conditions it lives in, in order to keep costs low.
    So why don't YOU change and not eat meat instead of being hypocritical two faced people.

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately theres' evry little anyone can do to avoid causing indirect harm to animals- dairy Cows are largely fed on a fish diet so it could be argued that non-vegan veggies are still causing cruelty by eating cheese. Alternatively, as vegans often eat a large % of soya in their diet they could arguably b caused cruel as soya is often imported from south america where large regions of the rainforest have been cut down for soya plantations,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blueray)
    I hate it when non vegetarians ie meat eaters claim to hate animal cruelty when they are flipping people causing the demand to kill the animal in the first place.
    If you eat meat YOU are the reason behind its death and the appealing conditions it lives in, in order to keep costs low.
    So why don't YOU change and not eat meat instead of being hypocritical two faced people.
    Generally, they are against animal cruelty not animal deaths. Not every farmer keeps their livestock in appalling conditions and this is reflected in both the price and taste of the respective meats. There is nothing hypocritical or two-faced about wanting to eat meat and to ensure animals have not suffered and do not sugger unnecessarily. There is also an expectation that our meat is sourced from reputable farmers so it often comes as a shock when you learn the truth - just look at the horse meat scandal.

Besides, meat tastes soooo good! The substitutes are bland, with a plastic texture and foul aftertaste. 😈

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    We're not hypocrites. We want to eat meat from animals that have had a good quality of life, we can eat meat and still be against animal cruelty - that's like saying because I like buying high-street clothes, I'm hypocritical because I'm against child labour. That's a ridiculous argument. I aim to buy free-range/organic meat, and I'm completely against any kind of animal cruelty. Animal slaughter, however, as long as it's painless and humane, is simply a part of the food chain.

(Original post by ackbar)
    Generally, they are against animal cruelty not animal deaths. Not every farmer keeps their livestock in appalling conditions and this is reflected in both the price and taste of the respective meats. There is nothing hypocritical or two-faced about wanting to eat meat and to ensure animals have not suffered and do not sugger unnecessarily. There is also an expectation that our meat is sourced from reputable farmers so it often comes as a shock when you learn the truth - just look at the horse meat scandal.

Besides, meat tastes soooo good! The substitutes are bland, with a plastic texture and foul aftertaste.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Obviously haven't tried smoked tofu.

(Original post by paradoxicalme)
    We're not hypocrites. We want to eat meat from animals that have had a good quality of life, we can eat meat and still be against animal cruelty - that's like saying because I like buying high-street clothes, I'm hypocritical because I'm against child labour. That's a ridiculous argument. I aim to buy free-range/organic meat, and I'm completely against any kind of animal cruelty. Animal slaughter, however, as long as it's painless and humane, is simply a part of the food chain.
    Death is never pain free or humane, this is where you hypocrites fail. If I elctercuted your mum would that be "humane". I despise people like you, morals pshht.
    (Original post by AspiringGenius)
    Unfortunately theres' evry little anyone can do to avoid causing indirect harm to animals- dairy Cows are largely fed on a fish diet so it could be argued that non-vegan veggies are still causing cruelty by eating cheese. Alternatively, as vegans often eat a large % of soya in their diet they could arguably b caused cruel as soya is often imported from south america where large regions of the rainforest have been cut down for soya plantations,
    Trees can be grown sustainably for soya plantations due to the short time of growing, more than can be said for meat.

ReputationRep:
    Trees can be grown sustainably for soya plantations due to the short time of growing, more than can be said for meat.
    That wasn't the point I was making, deforestation of animals' natural habitats is occouring to make way for soya. Not only do ecosystems die on this monoculture but animals are shot by farmers who treat them as pests.

ReputationRep:
    Is this a discussion or you trying to get everyone to agree to your opinion? Every single opinion you've had so far has been ignored.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AspiringGenius)
    Amazing how meat eaters always throw the blame for Amazonian deforestation at vegans.. yes a lot of the Amazon is cut down for soya plantations but the majority of this is used for livestock consumption. - i.e. used to produce meat.

ReputationRep:
    Obviously haven't tried smoked tofu. .
    lol
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Your point is?

Eating meat is hardly animal cruelty. Ever heard of free-range?

ReputationRep:
    I agree, meat-eaters with means to not rely on meat harping on about animals cruelty are just pathetic. So half-hearted, either eat meat and stop being a little ***** or don't eat meat and continue to whine like a ***** but at least you're a principled *****.

ReputationRep:
    Death is never pain free or humane, this is where you hypocrites fail. If I elctercuted your mum would that be "humane". I despise people like you, morals pshht.
    Electrocution obviously isn't pain-free, moron. It's being burned from the inside out!

Obviously death isn't a fun topic, but it's part of the natural food chain for us to kill animals, and the fact that we're doing it on a large scale just reflects the expansion of our population. Frankly, we're doing it far, far more humanely than our caveman ancestors.

Being a vegetarian is ethical, but being a meat-eater does not have to be unethical. Death does not necessarily have to be a bad thing, pain and cruelty are worse than death and pain and cruelty are what we oppose. Ideally, we're basically carrying out euthanasia, which is good enough for humans in pain so why not for animals for slaughter?

ReputationRep:
    I know for a fact that the farms I have been on, whether that be dairy, lambing or beef, the animals have always been kept in excellent conditions. E.g. brought in when raining/snowing and roaming in the fields eating grass until their hearts are content when its dry.

Are you going to say I am a hypocrite because I eat meat yet want to be a vet and help animals?

I know quite lot of vegan/vegetarian people and every one i have asked understand that a person can eat meat but hates animal testing and animal cruelty.

There have been studies that show that plants release a chemical and a noise that is only heard with special equipment when being ripped from the ground, but I guess that doesn't matter does it because its not actually roaming around a field, does it?

Also, your pets that people so dearly love, their food is based on the meat industry. We can't go and feed them plain vegetables, so because our cats and dogs need to eat meat, are they creating a demand for animal cruelty too?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Militant vegetarians are one of most annoying types of people. I don't have a problem with vegetarianism, I do have a problem with the people who just can't help but turn it into a an exercise of 'look at me, look at me, look at meeeeeee'

Frankly, I don't want to look at you.

(Original post by jamsie555)
    Your point is?

Eating meat is hardly animal cruelty. Ever heard of free-range?
    Yes it is. Have you seen the slaughter houses? I would post a pic, but it would get taken down, because thats how bad it is.

(Original post by paradoxicalme)
    Electrocution obviously isn't pain-free, moron. It's being burned from the inside out!

Obviously death isn't a fun topic, but it's part of the natural food chain for us to kill animals, and the fact that we're doing it on a large scale just reflects the expansion of our population. Frankly, we're doing it far, far more humanely than our caveman ancestors.

Being a vegetarian is ethical, but being a meat-eater does not have to be unethical. Death does not necessarily have to be a bad thing, pain and cruelty are worse than death and pain and cruelty are what we oppose. Ideally, we're basically carrying out euthanasia, which is good enough for humans in pain so why not for animals for slaughter?
    Tell me how do we currently kill animals? Electrocution. "moron" Just quoting your own offense word due your lack of un-hypocritical argument.

You think euthanasia is a GOOD thing? Wow you just lost all credibility. How can you say yes you're in pain you are no longer valued by society so you can JUST DIE.
    There can be a cure the next day. Disgusting.

(Original post by Daniel-G1995)
    I know for a fact that the farms I have been on, whether that be dairy, lambing or beef, the animals have always been kept in excellent conditions. E.g. brought in when raining/snowing and roaming in the fields eating grass until their hearts are content when its dry.

Are you going to say I am a hypocrite because I eat meat yet want to be a vet and help animals?

I know quite lot of vegan/vegetarian people and every one i have asked understand that a person can eat meat but hates animal testing and animal cruelty.

There have been studies that show that plants release a chemical and a noise that is only heard with special equipment when being ripped from the ground, but I guess that doesn't matter does it because its not actually roaming around a field, does it?

Also, your pets that people so dearly love, their food is based on the meat industry. We can't go and feed them plain vegetables, so because our cats and dogs need to eat meat, are they creating a demand for animal cruelty too?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hahah you can regrow vegetables and cut leaves and it will still grow, they are designed to be picked so they can be regrown, don't be a poor troll.
    Also dogs and cats are natural born hunters and do it on a sustainable scale, unlike us humans, nothing wrong with animals.

(Original post by StretfordEnd)
    Militant vegetarians are one of most annoying types of people. I don't have a problem with vegetarianism, I do have a problem with the people who just can't help but turn it into a an exercise of 'look at me, look at me, look at meeeeeee'

Frankly, I don't want to look at you.
    Say rubbish because you can't beat the argument.

ReputationRep:
    This 'argument' which is more of a rant, seems really pointless.

I eat meat because its a tasty and good source of protein among many other things.

If OP finds a way to efficiently kill animals in a way that causes zero pain, perhaps an instantaneous removal of their internal organs and brain to make out like they never existed or something. Then im all for it.

Just because i eat meat doesnt mean im gonna kick sheep or pigs when i see them or brand them with hot irons.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a vegetarian, but I still appreciate it when meat eaters care about animal cruelty. What I find worse is the arrogant people who don't care, take glory in cruelty or downplay its importance. To be honest, my being a vegetarian isn't making much a difference. It's sad, but true. However, I am vegetarian because I do not want to partake in the eating of animals when I believe it's wrong. But you can always do more. There is no point in arguing or being angry at meat eaters, it doesn't work. The people that are willing, will be interested and ask you your views. I have converted many a people to caring about animals or giving up meat simply by giving them information and being proactive.

ReputationRep:
    Or you could just buy free-range meat and stop whining.
    Simple idea is that if it were not for the meat market many animals that are now successful will have gone extinct. For example Chickens and Pigs are genetically pretty **** - they move slowly and fight poorly. Do you think they would still be around?
    And besides, these animals are given life for this purpose. I agree that battery farming is disgusting but if we're giving a little life to animals out of nowhere is this not a gift?

ReputationRep:
    Say rubbish because you can't beat the argument.
    Say rubbish? What, like:

- Making entirely disingenuous comments?
    - Using fallacious logic to explicitly state that meat eating must be cruelty?
    - Making sweeping generalisations about a person's entire character based on the fact they do something they are biologically pre-programmed to do?

It's pretty clear that you weren't interested in a reasoned discussion when you came in on the attack straight from the off. I had a labrador for 11 years from the age of 14. My parents were happy to feed it any old **** but it had pretty terrible joint problems. It was my dog and my responsibility so I used two thirds of the weekly wages I had from my paper round to buy him food that would specifically help with his joint problems; and now he's passed on I don't think I could ever own a dog again because he was a part of my family - I couldn't just replace my sister if she died.

What you're insinuating with your posts is that because I'm a meat eater none of this matters and I must be some sadistic prick who is ambivalent to the suffering of animals simply because I want to have a natural balanced diet and I behave in a way that I am biologically and socially preconditioned to do.

Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.