The Student Room Group

How does moving in day work? (embarrasing parents)

Hello, I'm pretty excited for University, although I'm pretty nervous too but I'm sure that's normal. I was just wondering how moving in day works at University? My moving in time slot is 11-1 and my mum and dad will be moving me in. I'm going up via train and will be getting to the University at 11:30, so won't have any time do go to a supermarket before whilst I'm up there and have no time the day before, either. Should I go to the supermarket with my parents after I'm all set up, or should I hang around the flat and meet my flatmates properly? I'll obviously be with them for the rest of the day, but should I avoid leaving the flat without them, especially for the first day? Also, when meeting my flatmates, will parents be awkwardly hanging around in the communal area for ages? It'd be a lot easier meeting them without our parents hanging around, especially when mine can be quite embarrassing! Haha. Thanks :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Anyone have any experience of this?
Get your parents to go to the supermarket for you while you're meeting your flatmates. Not everyone will arrive at the same time, though, so they may not be there. Play it by ear. Most people will be saying goodbye to their parents in some way or other and it'll be potentially awkward for some, but no one will notice because they'll have their own hang ups to deal with. You'll have a whole year to get to know your flatmates and just one day to say goodbye to the parents who've brought you up to this point, so be sensitive to the fact that it might be difficult for them too.
Original post by kyleg22
Anyone have any experience of this?

Really, don't sweat about it - everyone brings embarrassing parents to University! It gives you an ice-breaker conversation in the evening with your flat mates - you can compare Dads' jumpers, or Mum's fussing over the cleanliness of the kitchen etc. Everyone will be nervous and on edge about the move, the flatmates, the course, being liked etc etc, just some will be better at hiding certain things.

Shops etc will open more or less the same hours and sell more or less the same things they do in your home tow,, surprisingly! Maybe use a shopping trip as a first excuse to go out and explore with a new flatmate?

Keep onside with your parents while they are there - they probably did a lot to get you to uni, and they will be going back to an emptier home, while you'll be preparing to have the time of your life for the next 3 years. And if your Dad does wear a Fair Isle jumper and sandals, no-one will remember anything by the end of Freshers Week anyway.
Reply 4
Original post by carnationlilyrose
Get your parents to go to the supermarket for you while you're meeting your flatmates. Not everyone will arrive at the same time, though, so they may not be there. Play it by ear. Most people will be saying goodbye to their parents in some way or other and it'll be potentially awkward for some, but no one will notice because they'll have their own hang ups to deal with. You'll have a whole year to get to know your flatmates and just one day to say goodbye to the parents who've brought you up to this point, so be sensitive to the fact that it might be difficult for them too.
Thank you very much. Absolutely, it'll be really sad for me as I'm really close to my parents so completely understanding of others, too.
Reply 5
Original post by threeportdrift
Really, don't sweat about it - everyone brings embarrassing parents to University! It gives you an ice-breaker conversation in the evening with your flat mates - you can compare Dads' jumpers, or Mum's fussing over the cleanliness of the kitchen etc. Everyone will be nervous and on edge about the move, the flatmates, the course, being liked etc etc, just some will be better at hiding certain things.

Shops etc will open more or less the same hours and sell more or less the same things they do in your home tow,, surprisingly! Maybe use a shopping trip as a first excuse to go out and explore with a new flatmate?

Keep onside with your parents while they are there - they probably did a lot to get you to uni, and they will be going back to an emptier home, while you'll be preparing to have the time of your life for the next 3 years. And if your Dad does wear a Fair Isle jumper and sandals, no-one will remember anything by the end of Freshers Week anyway.
Made me laugh. Appreciate the advice. Thanks a lot!
Reply 6
Aren't all parents embarrassing? It's our appointed role in life, it's how we get back for all those tantrums you had in the supermarket :tongue:

No seriously, play it by ear. Pack a few dry items food wise like tea, coffee, a couple of pot noodles and so on. Pick up some milk, bread, cheese, bacon and apples for example on the way in. Once you get to your flat then play it by ear and see who is around. It might be you want to go food shopping with parents, it might be a couple of your flat mates want to go shopping too and you do it together, maybe you could huddle around somebody's computer and combine for an online shop. You'll know what feels right when you get there.
Original post by kyleg22
Hello, I'm pretty excited for University, although I'm pretty nervous too but I'm sure that's normal. I was just wondering how moving in day works at University? My moving in time slot is 11-1 and my mum and dad will be moving me in. I'm going up via train and will be getting to the University at 11:30, so won't have any time do go to a supermarket before whilst I'm up there and have no time the day before, either. Should I go to the supermarket with my parents after I'm all set up, or should I hang around the flat and meet my flatmates properly? I'll obviously be with them for the rest of the day, but should I avoid leaving the flat without them, especially for the first day? Also, when meeting my flatmates, will parents be awkwardly hanging around in the communal area for ages? It'd be a lot easier meeting them without our parents hanging around, especially when mine can be quite embarrassing! Haha. Thanks :smile:

In my opinion, it doesn't matter how you do things as long as you get sorted and comfortable!
When I moved into halls, I moved all my stuff in, asked my dad to set up my internet etc (cos I'm not at all confident with tech stuff!) and then we went to the supermarket and out for a pizza as we'd been travelling all day and not eaten properly...other people's parents were still there (two sets of parents left while I was out with my dad, the others took their daughter out for food too and then left shortly after we got back). My other flatmate arrived a lot later in the day than the rest of us and her dad didn't stay long - not even for a cup of tea even though he'd driven 3 hours there!
Reply 8
I would say go with your parents. As carnationlilyrose said, it will be a difficult time for your parents as well. Spending some time together going shopping might be a nice way to spend a bit more time together before they leave, and maybe make you and your parents feel more relaxed.

Your flatmates will be fine with it. There's nothing bad about it. Remember, your flatmates will be very nervous as well, so it's not like they're going to think anything less of you because of it.

As for embarrassing parents, well, we've all got them. But as I said, your flatmates will be too focused on themselves and their parents to notice anything that your parents are doing.
Reply 9
Oh and you think you might have it bad?

My son will be going into halls next weekend but it's only a few miles from home so he's been told that his slightly overweight dad might pop in occasionally on one of his lycra clad bike rides for a coffee :colondollar:
When I moved in last year (and it happened this year) we all moved in at slightly different times, and nipped to the shops with our parents before they left. There's plenty of time to speak with your flatmates when all the parents have gone - you have all of the first night!
It's likely that everyone will be pretty busy moving in. You'll have the odd little chat, but the real 'getting to know' each other starts when the parents have left!
Reply 11
Don't worry about it at all. Only one of my flatmates turned up without their parents, and he was the first one there anyway. Virtually everyone else (if I recall correctly) had a last afternoon with their parents (sorting shopping, the room, and then going out for lunch/dinner) before we all congregated in the evening and ended up going out to a club haha.
Let's all give our embarrassing parent stories a whirl, shall we? When my parents came to collect me from university at the end of the first term they were sitting in my room, meeting the boyfriend for the first time. The unmistakable sounds of the girl next door having rather enthusiastic sex suddenly came through the wall, prompting my mother to ask what the sound was. When I said it was the girl next door, she then went on to ask what she was doing. The boyfriend was almost climbing out of the window in embarrassment. I still cringe, and just for context, that was 36 years ago and I still can't get over her naivety.
My Dad is in a thrash metal band, thinks he is a rock star and wears bandanas and vest tops with his own face on them. I am praying he dresses slightly more normally on moving in day :frown:
Reply 14
Let's all give our embarrassing parent stories a whirl, shall we? When my parents came to collect me from university at the end of the first term they were sitting in my room, meeting the boyfriend for the first time. The unmistakable sounds of the girl next door having rather enthusiastic sex suddenly came through the wall, prompting my mother to ask what the sound was. When I said it was the girl next door, she then went on to ask what she was doing. The boyfriend was almost climbing out of the window in embarrassment. I still cringe, and just for context, that was 36 years ago and I still can't get over her naivety.

ROFL priceless :lol:

Mind you had it occurred to you she might just have been a bit mischievous and knew full well what was going on? That's the kind of evil trick I might play :devil:
Original post by Folion
ROFL priceless :lol:

Mind you had it occurred to you she might just have been a bit mischievous and knew full well what was going on? That's the kind of evil trick I might play :devil:
No, she really didn't. You just have to trust me on this. Her first question was, 'What's that? Is it a dog?'

When my turn came to deposit an offspring, I planned to use a variant on the old family story myself, but the opportunity didn't arise, alas....
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 16
milk that first shop like its a cow that's about to burst.

Ditto
Reply 18
This thread is so funny :rofl:

My mum actually wanted to stay in a B&B near my uni for the whole weekend so she could check up on me on sunday and was there in case I needed anything. :lol: Thankfully my Dad recognised that its probably not the best idea, it just drags it out and having my parents hanging around for the whole weekend could be quite embarrassing, I'm 90% sure my mum would start telling embarrassing stories to my flat mates :colondollar:

I feel quite sorry for my mum though, I'm her last child at home and I know she's going to be really emotional :frown:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by montstar

I feel quite sorry for my mum though, I'm her last child at home and I know she's going to be really emotional :frown:

This is the situation I'm in right now, as a mum that is, and I can bet that even if she sheds a few tears she'll be so proud and really wouldn't want it any different.

Thing is just as we're waving our younger son goodbye our elder one has come back (albeit temporarily) whilst he is between houses. Human hoovers the pair of them :eating::eating:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending