The Student Room Group

Is missing your Freshers Ball a big deal?

Basically I don't have a ticket to my Freshers Ball and I'm undecided on whether I should get one or not. Right now I'm not too bothered about going. I don't really have money spare for a ticket, none of the acts really appeal to me, and I don't have anything to wear. The only thing that would persuade me to go is if all my flatmates are going or if it really is a big deal to miss out on it. So what does everyone think?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If your flatmates are going, you really should go, you're at uni once, and have freshers once..
Reply 2
What if you are under 18 though ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
What ID do you need to get in to fresher london clubs?

Is a student card good enough
Original post by cmtt
Basically I don't have a ticket to my Freshers Ball and I'm undecided on whether I should get one or not. Right now I'm not too bothered about going. I don't really have money spare for a ticket, none of the acts really appeal to me, and I don't have anything to wear. The only thing that would persuade me to go is if all my flatmates are going or if it really is a big deal to miss out on it. So what does everyone think?

If you don't really want to go, then don't. I would say the majority of freshers don't go to their fresher's ball, and tickets are usually limited, anyway. It probably varies a bit from uni to uni though, but it's not likely to affect your social life much.

Original post by Balvation
What ID do you need to get in to fresher london clubs?

Is a student card good enough

If you mean actual clubs on student nights, you'll need proof of age (Driving lisence or Passport) and maybe student ID as well. If you mean your SU, they're likely to let you in without ID, but you'll probably need some proof of age to get served. Clubs in London tend to be pretty strict on ID.
Reply 5
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
If you don't really want to go, then don't. I would say the majority of freshers don't go to their fresher's ball, and tickets are usually limited, anyway. It probably varies a bit from uni to uni though, but it's not likely to affect your social life much.

It is always good to go to clubs, you can never miss out if you do go

If you mean actual clubs on student nights, you'll need proof of age (Driving lisence or Passport) and maybe student ID as well. If you mean your SU, they're likely to let you in without ID, but you'll probably need some proof of age to get served. Clubs in London tend to be pretty strict on ID.

Will growing a beard help. No passport and provisional has been sent off but will take a few weeks so anything else people in this situation can do?
Reply 6
Did you go to your year 11 ball or 6th form? If you've been to one before, I'm sure it's similar to those and you won't miss out.
Reply 7
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito

It's not so much that I don't want to - if I were rich I'd buy a ticket in a heart beat just for the experience - it's just that when I put together all the reasons not to go, I started to think perhaps it might not be worth it. I just don't fancy being in while everyone else is out having fun, but I'm sure I'll somehow manage to live through it! And I suppose you're right, I think there are only 2,000 tickets, so I'm hardly going to be alone!

Original post by Forumfinder
Did you go to your year 11 ball or 6th form? If you've been to one before, I'm sure it's similar to those and you won't miss out.

We had a prom, which was a different thing entirely.
It really won't hamper your social life! If you can't really afford it, don't go. If you really want to go to a student ball (which by the sounds of it, you may not), they come around all the time, whether it's the Sports Ball, a society's Ball, Law Ball, Medic Ball etc. and I'm sure there will be one you can go to when you have a bit more money.
Reply 9
Original post by cmtt

Is missing pussy a big deal? Yes, therefore missing freshers ball is a BIG deal
Freshers Balls are not that big deals IMO.

I remember when I was a Fresher (at Leeds), the Freshers Ball was at the end of the second week we were there (ie the first week of term). When we got there, everyone was talking about the Freshers Ball and people were stressed if they didn't have tickets. However by the time it came round, there had been so many events every night anyway that people knew loads of people by then, and there were loads of other events going on on the same night as the Ball. In the end a few people I knew who had tickets for the Ball ended up trying to sell them or just didn't turn up and went somewhere else. The Ball itself was OK, but in terms of the other nights out in Freshers time, it was a bit meh.
Reply 11
Nah I don't think they're that big a deal really. Not having any ID shows poor planning though - these sorts of things need to be thought through!
Reply 12
Original post by A-Dog
Is missing pussy a big deal? Yes, therefore missing freshers ball is a BIG deal

Fortunately for me, I am a heterosexual female and therefore this is low on my list of priorities. Phew!

Alrighty, thanks guys. I think I won't bother for now and should I be gripped by an urge to buy a ticket once I arrive and there happens to be some left I'll probably get one.
(edited 10 years ago)
No
My uni's freshers ball got cancelled due to too few tickets being sold :dontknow:
Original post by super_kawaii
My uni's freshers ball got cancelled due to too few tickets being sold :dontknow:

Is that why it was cancelled last year? I still think it would have been better to have a refreshers ball, because by that point, you knew people.
If we had one it might be.
Original post by .snowflake.
Is that why it was cancelled last year? I still think it would have been better to have a refreshers ball, because by that point, you knew people.

People at my uni really didn't care about a freshers ball-by the time refreshers would have come around, people still wouldn't have wanted to, as the clubs in town are really popular.
I didn't go to mine because I didn't want to spend £30 on a ticket and I felt knackered during Freshers'. In the end I just went to the pre-drinks in my friends' flat and then went to bed when they'd all gone out. Talking to the people who did go afterwards, they all seemed to think it was rubbish and that nearly all of the other Freshers' events had been better, so I'm glad I didn't go really.

Not going probably won't be too much of a big deal.
I didn't go to mine and I'm not sure I spoke to anyone who actually did.

Don't go if you don't want :smile:

Original post by cmtt
Fortunately for me, I am a heterosexual female and therefore this is low on my list of priorities. Phew!

I've run out of rep but I really laughed at that :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest