major Physics AS help needed! Watch

This discussion is closed.
hihihihi
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
we were given a mock Plan to do (for practical exam):

A student is comparing materials for use as electrical insulation. The student decides to measure the resistivity of a number of different materials. The circuit shown is sued to determine the resistance of the sample.
The sample is connected to the circuit using a pair of small discs as shown.

The student finds that the milliammeter gives a small reading. However, when the voltmeter is removed from the circuit the milliammeter reads zero. The student concludes that the current registered on the milliammeter is due to the voltage and not the insulating material. The student decides to make several modifications to the experiment in order to obtain a measurable current in the insulating material.

The question..
-design a lab experiement to measure resistivity of an insulating material such as paper..
-steps which would be taken to ensure that the current measured isnot due to the current passing through the voltmeter
-modifications u’d make to the circuit in order to obtain a measurable current

ok i dont really understand.. the mA is in series and the voltmeter in parallel so surely it'd work?? i dont understand how it's measuring the resistance fo voltmeter.
i'd liek some help plz// if u could give a me some hints/a starting place. is there emf involved?
obviously there'd be resistivity= RA/l ,anything else??
thanks for anthing
Attached files
hihihihi
Rep:
?
bythe way , i madwe a crappy drawing of the circuit ..it's an attachment of the first post..

this should link to it..http://www.uk-learning.net/attachmen...achmentid=1364
salmiak
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Is this the OCR spec one?
salmiak
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
But either way, I did something very similar last year. It measures the voltage running through the voltmeter. The voltmeter has a theoretically infinite resistance, but when there's a "choice" between the high resistance path of the paper and that of the voltmeter, the voltmeter wins. If you put the voltmeter around both the ammeter and paper you won't have that problem, but it brings up some other problems.
Hope this helps,
Ida.
iiikewldude
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by hihihihi)
we were given a mock Plan to do (for practical exam):

A student is comparing materials for use as electrical insulation. The student decides to measure the resistivity of a number of different materials. The circuit shown is sued to determine the resistance of the sample.
The sample is connected to the circuit using a pair of small discs as shown.

The student finds that the milliammeter gives a small reading. However, when the voltmeter is removed from the circuit the milliammeter reads zero. The student concludes that the current registered on the milliammeter is due to the voltage and not the insulating material. The student decides to make several modifications to the experiment in order to obtain a measurable current in the insulating material.

The question..
-design a lab experiement to measure resistivity of an insulating material such as paper..
-steps which would be taken to ensure that the current measured isnot due to the current passing through the voltmeter
-modifications u’d make to the circuit in order to obtain a measurable current

ok i dont really understand.. the mA is in series and the voltmeter in parallel so surely it'd work?? i dont understand how it's measuring the resistance fo voltmeter.
i'd liek some help plz// if u could give a me some hints/a starting place. is there emf involved?
obviously there'd be resistivity= RA/l ,anything else??
thanks for anthing
you want to have a voltmeter with a resistance as close to infinity as possible. Current is not going to pass through paper easily so you want a very small piece of paper and a very high potential difference. Does what im help you or have i not really explained what your stuck on?
hihihihi
Rep:
?
yeah this is from OCR march 2003

thanks for all replies.. i think i do have a starting point now

so if the voltmeter was in parallel around BOTH the ammeter and material then the ammeter would only measure the current of the material, yes??

also what do i do with the EMF of 3V

if u've any more suggestions /tips please reply!

thanks again!
hihihihi
Rep:
?
(Original post by iiikewldude)
you want to have a voltmeter with a resistance as close to infinity as possible. Current is not going to pass through paper easily so you want a very small piece of paper and a very high potential difference. Does what im help you or have i not really explained what your stuck on?
yes it says the volemeter has resistance of 1M ohms.

if i use a small paper then the current on my ammeter will be large ie a good/large enough quantity to measure?

lets say i move the ammeter so it's within the voltmeter. ie the voltmeter is parallel with both ammeter and material.
how do i calculate resistance of the material. do i just V= IxR it or must i consider the reesistance of voltmeter (which is 1Mohm)
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (16)
32%
No - I got the required grades (27)
54%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (7)
14%

Watched Threads