The Student Room Group

advice on improving grades

Hi guys i have just started year 13 and doing A2 biology, chemistry and physics and AS maths. I want to get the grades to do medicine in 2015 (AAAc).

In my first time at AS I got UUU then the second time I got ABB :smile:

My question is can you give me some tips/revision techniques for getting A's? (mainly for physics and biology)
Also any advice on how to become better at how science works for biology and physics would be appreciated alot (I struggle on these quite a bit)

what I currently do for revision:
- lots of past papers
- colourful notes (mainly for biology)
- practice questions and going over content I get wrong

thanks
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Reposting my response from a similar thread:
Original post by Dorkins
Having recently finished A2 Maths, Physics & Biology I can tell you what has worked for me:

I took fairly complete notes on paper in lesson that I understood - copying the teacher down verbatim without thinking about what you're writing isn't a great idea

I had an exercise per subject and after each lesson/on my break/during free periods (etc) I would rewrite my lesson notes into the respective books, adding extra details as needed from the textbook and ensuring that I understood everything written down

By the time my exams came around, I had a very good revision tool and, since I had spent time making sure that I understood everything, revising for my exam was as simple as doing past papers to practise my technique (using my exercise books to revise anything I may have forgotten) -- I didn't have to worry about having to learn everything in one night.
This was especially useful for me in Biology, and it would work well for Chemistry too, due to the amount of memorisation required - knowing exactly where to find the information I needed for revision was a great help.

As for HSW questions, I found that reading the question multiple times in order to understand what they are really asking was really helpful -- the context of the questions (eg a HSW question on snakes mating) confused a lot of people in my class this year, which put them off, but ignoring all of the exam board's BS and focusing on the actual scientific theory behind it all helped me not get put off by it all in order to score top marks.

Quick Reply

Latest