The Student Room Group

Parents unrealistic?

Can anyone offer advice on the best Uni to apply? I'm predicted BBB for Biology, Chemistry and Psychology. I believe I could attain an A grade for Biology due to the amount of Ucas points i already have. I'd like to study Biochemistry.
My parents think I should only look at the Russell Group of Universities eg Nottingham, Manchester, Southampton etc, but they require AAB - ABB! Should I set my sights on medium unis eg Reading, Nottingham Trent. Help definitely needed.
Original post by angebilly
Can anyone offer advice on the best Uni to apply? I'm predicted BBB for Biology, Chemistry and Psychology. I believe I could attain an A grade for Biology due to the amount of Ucas points i already have. I'd like to study Biochemistry.
My parents think I should only look at the Russell Group of Universities eg Nottingham, Manchester, Southampton etc, but they require AAB - ABB! Should I set my sights on medium unis eg Reading, Nottingham Trent. Help definitely needed.

Reading usually has an offer of around AAB-ABB like the RG. But if you got BBB at AS, you should definitely apply for ABB universities.
Reply 2
Original post by angebilly

Where would you feel happy and content being a student? You could try to go to open days or find out more about each uni from their websites. Then you would know how to prepare yourself for your selected choices.
Reply 3
Apply to at least 2 good uni's I would say, just avoid any asking for AAA or more. With a convincing PS you can get offers from ABB uni's and if lucky AAB ones. Also you are only going to choose to select 2 of 5 uni's in the end, no point filling it up with a bunch of uni's just because you know you'll get in. So in summary my advice is apply to 2 ambitious uni's (ABB-AAB RG's), 2 realistic uni's (BBB), 1 worst case scenario but you wouldn't mind the uni life at for a possible insurance (Kind of uni's that take ucas points)
You've said very little about what you want - only what your parents want. Would you be happy going to a mid-ranking uni?

You could also talk to them about the 1994 Group. The RG is large research intensive unis whereas the 1994 Group is small research intensive universities - often still great unis but smaller and a bit less well known.

Unfortunately you're on an unfortunate grade boundary - the ways unis are funded means that places for ABB+ students are not capped, but there is a limit to how many students with BBB or less they are allowed to take.

You can always consider going for BBB unis (with one ABB as a more ambitious choice), and if you do get ABB then you can go through adjustment to try and get into an RG if that's what you (not your parents) want.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Speaking as a parent I see where your parents are coming from but don't necessarily agree with them. Most parents are proud of their offspring and want the very best for them, they want you to work hard and do your best, however, sometimes it makes us a bit unrealistic lol. You don't have to give your parents minute by minute bulletins but keep them in the loop as to how your work is going and how you feel etc.

I agree entirely with ElChapo's assessment of what you should aim for ie 2 slightly risky applications, 2 at your predicted grades and 1 reserve that you would still consider if the worst came to the worst.

As long as you do yourself justice by doing your best the right uni will find you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending