The Student Room Group

Which universities should I apply for

I got A*aab

A* in maths (our school made one class do it early)
a in further maths
a in physics
b in economics

I'm thinking about civil engineering, should I apply to three unis with A*AA reqs and two with AAA reqs or all 5 with A*AA or above reqs?

Also: will universities base my offer on the A* I've already got for maths so instead of getting A*AA offer I get AA offer or will they base it on the subjects im doing in year 13?
Original post by `God
I got A*aab

a in further maths
a in physics
b in economics

I'm thinking about civil engineering, should I apply to three unis with A*AA reqs and two with AAA reqs or all 5 with A*AA or above reqs?

Also: will universities base my offer on the A* I've already got for maths so instead of getting A*AA offer I get AA offer or will they base it on the subjects im doing in year 13?

I'd suggest picking four with A*AA and one AAA (for leniency if you get say A*AB.)

As for the offers, I've heard some will not include a levels done early in offers, and therefore you have to finish three A levels (+ the one you've already finished) although you should email each uni about this. It just might mean you'll have to continue with economics or they'll give you a higher offer as you'll only be taking two subjects.
Original post by `God

You need to ask each university this. It makes a huge difference to you. You are currently sitting on a potential A*AA if they count it and a potential AAB if they don't.
Original post by `God
I got A*aab

a in further maths
a in physics
b in economics

As you already have the A*, the university are more likely going to give you an offer with - AA.

you have a good set of predicted grades also and you have a very good chance of studying civil engineering at a Russell group university. Bristol is very good for engineering and so is loughborough apparently :biggrin: I say that as that's where my friends are going who will be studying the exact same course. Have an insurance choice - so one that offers ABB or AAB.
Reply 4
Like the others have said you're going to have to research what kind of offers you possibly might get on a uni to uni basis. You'll have to contact the specific depts. concerned. This will be a real pain but actually the only way to be sure how you stand. Do bear in mind the answer they give you at this stage isn't the promise of an offer.

As to what unis to go for in terms of typical asking grades I'd say

2 x A*AA, 2 x AAA, 1 x AAB/ABB

or

3 x A*AA, 1 x AAA, 1 x AAB/ABB

Definitely have a contingency though.

What I would really recommend is that you visit as many unis as possible in the A*AA to AAB range that could be under consideration. You may find that an AAA uni has a dept that is more to your liking than a A*AA one. My son did this when he picked Sheffield over Durham and Southampton (mechanical engineering) not because he thought Sheffield was any better or worse per se just that he felt most comfortable there.

Grats on you A* maths btw :smile:
Original post by `God
I got A*aab

a in further maths
a in physics
b in economics

IMO, 4 (A*AA) and 1 (AAA).
Reply 6
thanks for the replies, I'll contact a lot of departments and ask whether they'll take my A* or if I'll need to get another one this year.

Quick Reply

Latest