frazzledazzle
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hiya everyone, I'm new to TSR, so I hope that I've done this properly. I did my LNAT yesterday and was wondering how everyone else is finding theirs. I thought that it was OK, I found it easier than some of the preparation papers that I completed. I was horrified when I realised that I wasn't allowed to take in a water bottle with me, I really do think that they ought to let us bring water in, as it is such a long exam. Luckily the essay question that I completed wasn't too bad, the other too questions were quite difficult.
missblonde95
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi I'm hoping to take mine in october, do you have any tips on exam technique ? Hope yours went well
frazzledazzle
Rep:
?
(Original post by missblonde95)
Hi I'm hoping to take mine in october, do you have any tips on exam technique ? Hope yours went well
Hiya, I think that it is a good idea to download the programme that has practise papers on it from the LNAT website, as the level of difficulty of the questions is very similar (if not the same) as the real thing. Lots of people say that it's a waste of time, however I think that it's still a good idea, as it allows you to get used to the time limit, and you'll also get used to the format of the LNAT. N.B make sure that you take note of your answers when completing the practice paper on the LNAT programme, as you do not see your result at the end; you have to download the results from the LNAT website. I also found it incredibly useful to keep up to date with the news, as it did help me in completing my essay. You may also find it easier if you read the questions before you start reading the passages, as you'll then be able select the relevant information. I hope that helps, and good luck for October!
missblonde95
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Wow how kind ! Thanks for that amazing help good luck again I hope you get into your Uni of choice

Posted from TSR Mobile
frazzledazzle
Rep:
?
(Original post by missblonde95)
Wow how kind ! Thanks for that amazing help good luck again I hope you get into your Uni of choice

Posted from TSR Mobile
You're welcome. Good luck. Awww thank you for the good wishes XD
Saba Mumraz
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi, do you know what the average lnat score is? And what should oxford/Durham applicants be aiming for on it? :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
frazzledazzle
Rep:
?
(Original post by Saba Mumraz)
Hi, do you know what the average lnat score is? And what should oxford/Durham applicants be aiming for on it? :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hiya, I'm not too sure on the average score, but I read somewhere that it was around 21 last year. I've looked on other forums on here, and I know that Durham has given offers to people who have achieved 26, but I have heard of people getting in with lower scores. So perhaps you should aim for something in the mid-twenties just to be safe. I usually got around 25/26 in my practice papers, but I hope that I got around 27. The Universities may also be less subjective with the score, as they do have the essay to look at.
pupillageacct
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I've got my LNAT tomorrow after school. Deep breaths
Saba Mumraz
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by efthemia)
I've got my LNAT tomorrow after school. Deep breaths
Aww don't worry you'll be fine, I found it similar to the practice tests online, Same difficulty :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Tortious
Badges: 16
Report 7 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
I did the "old" LNAT, but in my year the average was 16/30 and I got 22/30. (I applied to Cambridge (which doesn't use the LNAT) rather than Oxford, but I got an offer from Durham, so it's clearly good enough for them!)

I doubt the calculation is as straightforward as this, but if you scale those values up, the "new" average would be 22.4/42, and my "new" score would be 30.7/42.
pupillageacct
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Aww don't worry you'll be fine, I found it similar to the practice tests online, Same difficulty :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh, okay! That's helpful to know I did pretty well on the multiple choice on the practice tests so maybe there's hope..

How did you feel about the essay prompts you got? I'm most worried about that part.
pupillageacct
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
LNAT'S DONE what a relief
For everyone else, it wasn't too bad! I actually managed to finish my essay and stay within the wordcount which I'd had trouble doing with practice ones. The multiple choice seemed about the same difficulty as the practice tests for me too, so hard, but not too hard.
anotherlawstudent
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
My LNAT is on the 2nd of October so not far away!

I've bought the "Mastering the National Admissions Test for Law - Second Edition" by Mark Shepherd and have done some practice tests on there

I scored 23 on my first test and 17 (so terrible) on my second test. I've heard those books are meant to be "harder" than the real thing though so I don't know what to expect from the real LNAT test. Since the book has four tests in total, I've got 2 more to do and then i'll move onto the two practice tests on the website...

Has anyone got any last minute tips for me to do well in the real thing? I'm struggling most with the essay section :/

Finally, what are the test conditions like? Is there a timer in the corner of the screen etc?
pupillageacct
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by anotherlawstudent)
My LNAT is on the 2nd of October so not far away!

I've bought the "Mastering the National Admissions Test for Law - Second Edition" by Mark Shepherd and have done some practice tests on there

I scored 23 on my first test and 17 (so terrible) on my second test. I've heard those books are meant to be "harder" than the real thing though so I don't know what to expect from the real LNAT test. Since the book has four tests in total, I've got 2 more to do and then i'll move onto the two practice tests on the website...

Has anyone got any last minute tips for me to do well in the real thing? I'm struggling most with the essay section :/

Finally, what are the test conditions like? Is there a timer in the corner of the screen etc?
I bought the same book as you and I actually found the real LNAT to be about the same difficulty as the practice tests there, or perhaps a little harder. The difficulty of the real one was almost exactly the same as the practice tests on the LNAT website for me.

For the essays, I had been feeling really worried about those but on the real thing I did at least somewhat better. If you're struggling with finishing within the word count/time limit I can give you some tips that worked for me but if it's about writing a good essay then I'm as lost as you are, I don't know if mine was any good

And yeah there's a timer in the corner of the screen! The test gives you a tutorial on how to use the program, it's all pretty straightforward. I finished the multiple choice with about 20 minutes left over but I only had a minute left on the essay so I just let the timer count down, and you should know that as soon as time runs out the program just automatically goes to a blank screen. You can't finish your last sentence or anything like that.
Ambry
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I have mines on the 14th of October I'm nervous
It shouldn't be too bad though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
anotherlawstudent
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by efthemia)
I bought the same book as you and I actually found the real LNAT to be about the same difficulty as the practice tests there, or perhaps a little harder. The difficulty of the real one was almost exactly the same as the practice tests on the LNAT website for me.

For the essays, I had been feeling really worried about those but on the real thing I did at least somewhat better. If you're struggling with finishing within the word count/time limit I can give you some tips that worked for me but if it's about writing a good essay then I'm as lost as you are, I don't know if mine was any good

And yeah there's a timer in the corner of the screen! The test gives you a tutorial on how to use the program, it's all pretty straightforward. I finished the multiple choice with about 20 minutes left over but I only had a minute left on the essay so I just let the timer count down, and you should know that as soon as time runs out the program just automatically goes to a blank screen. You can't finish your last sentence or anything like that.
Oh thanks so much! really helped me a lot and yes, could you give me some tips with finishing within the word count and time limit please?
das.ags
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hey I've got mine on the 17th. I'm really nervous, mostly about the essay part! does anyone have any ideas on the kind of topics there are?
Tortious
Badges: 16
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by das.ags)
Hey I've got mine on the 17th. I'm really nervous, mostly about the essay part! does anyone have any ideas on the kind of topics there are?
People won't be able to tell you since they'll be bound by a confidentiality agreement, but they're all topics which don't require legal knowledge and are just about debating the issues. They're chosen to be quite "easy" to think of arguments for - on both sides - so that the markers can see how persuasively you put forward your ideas.
das.ags
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Tortious)
People won't be able to tell you since they'll be bound by a confidentiality agreement, but they're all topics which don't require legal knowledge and are just about debating the issues. They're chosen to be quite "easy" to think of arguments for - on both sides - so that the markers can see how persuasively you put forward your ideas.
Thank you
pupillageacct
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by anotherlawstudent)
Oh thanks so much! really helped me a lot and yes, could you give me some tips with finishing within the word count and time limit please?
Yeah sure! So for me, I set aside a specific amount of time for each part and tried to make myself stay within that time, i.e. I gave myself 5 minutes for choosing a question and making a quick outline, a couple minutes for my intro (I tend to spend a long time writing introductions and that can be a problem for me in timed writing) and I tried to leave about 10 minutes at the end for writing my conclusion and reading over/editing/adding to my essay. I ended up having only 6-7 minutes left at the end, but it was mostly just a guideline. You can choose a way to partition your time that works for you.

Also, this may be a technique that only works for me but when I'm working on one paragraph and I have another idea that will be a few sentences later or even in the next paragraph or conclusion, I just write it out immediately. Rather than writing the whole essay beginning to end, I skip around more and develop ideas as they occur to me, so that way I don't spend as much time trying to remember how I worded things in my head. I'm not sure if this will work well for you or if you write better if you just write the whole thing out but it could be worth a try?

Hopefully some of this is helpful!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (675)
33.62%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (856)
42.63%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (386)
19.22%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (91)
4.53%

Watched Threads