The Student Room Group

LNAT exams 2013-How did you find it?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by OhEmily
I know somebody who is studying Law at Oxford, they didn't finish their LNAT essay however did receive a good score on the multiple choice. I guess it depends on the balance between both sections and if you had a good argument pre-crisis at the end, I wouldn't say your chances are particularly affected. Where have you applied?

Thanks for the reassurance, looking back it honestly wasn't that bad of an experience :biggrin:

The only LNAT unis I've applied to are KCL and Oxford, to be honest I feel bad about not taking more of a risk and putting a third LNAT uni in there or a riskier fifth option
Hi everyone, I've got my test tomorrow (eek!). I downloaded the 2 practise papers from the lnat site and got around 27 on each paper. Do you think that will be enough to get into Nottingham or Bristol?
Original post by mm14
Thanks for the reassurance, looking back it honestly wasn't that bad of an experience :biggrin:

The only LNAT unis I've applied to are KCL and Oxford, to be honest I feel bad about not taking more of a risk and putting a third LNAT uni in there or a riskier fifth option

I have my test tomorrow,

I'm applying to Nottingham and last year their minimum offer was 22 and Durham was 24-6... so I was told...

I'm really nervous about the essay sessions currently I've been getting in the 30's on the practise papers but I'm just struggling with the essay topics... Hopefully it will go ok.

Can anyone tell me how the exam looks online and when you are writing the essay is it like word document? Do spelling errors get highlighted or is that down to you? I have dyslexia when it comes to spelling and I'm really worried that it will affect me.
Why do you say that a fifth option is riskier? I mean if you apply to say 5 universities, aren't you increasing your chances of getting accepted? Sorry if this is a stupid question but i'm honestly confused. I've come across a few posts like this so i wasn't sure what the problem is in applying to five unis? (:
Original post by Emily_Elizabeth
I have my test tomorrow,

I'm applying to Nottingham and last year their minimum offer was 22 and Durham was 24-6... so I was told...

I'm really nervous about the essay sessions currently I've been getting in the 30's on the practise papers but I'm just struggling with the essay topics... Hopefully it will go ok.

Can anyone tell me how the exam looks online and when you are writing the essay is it like word document? Do spelling errors get highlighted or is that down to you? I have dyslexia when it comes to spelling and I'm really worried that it will affect me.

Hey!! :smile:

In prep for this test, I used the simulation so that I could figure out what the exam looked like and compared to the real thing it's pretty much identical give or take a few tiny things.... I downloaded the file from http://www.lnat.ac.uk/lnat-preparation/practice-tests.aspx and it was basically a programme download :smile: I found it really helped

If you don't want to download it (and in response to your earlier questions):

No, there isn't spell check

There is a word count

It's like a mini word document but you can't use your common shortcuts like CTRL + V - there is literally a button for this instead

It lets you select text like normal

There is no function for italics, underline, bold etc!

30 is also a really good score for the LNAT - quite probable that if you do get 30 in the real thing then it would be higher than average as well, so need to worry there!
Hope this has helped, feel free to message me if you have any questions!! :smile:

....and good luck!!! You will be absolutely fine :smile: x
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 65
Did people find the practice questions harder than the real thing or what?
Reply 66
Original post by Emily_Elizabeth
I have my test tomorrow,

I'm not sure how it'll be if you have dyslexia but for my test I had to use a horrible old computer and the text box for the essay looked like it came straight from windows 95
Reply 67
I have mine in under two weeks and I am panicking, applied to 2 LNAT uni's (alongside Cambridge - so quite risky!) I have been finding the practice papers extremely difficult and have been doing quite awful on the MCQ :frown: I don't know why I just have been despite loving reading etc, I think it's my nerves. Anyone have any tips on how else I can prepare? or feedback on how theirs went? thank you! x
Reply 68
Well that was a fun little test, eager to find my results out now haha

Good luck to those who are still yet to sit it!
Just had mine this morning! It went really well. Personally, I found the questions easier than the practise papers you can get from the LNAT website, but I guess it depends on the questions you get on the day. You get 95 minutes for the multiple choice and I finished with about 20 minutes to spare so its not that much of a push to finish in time. Again, the essay question I finished with 5 minutes left. Don't forget you only have 3 questions to choose from now, not 5!!! Good luck everyone! :biggrin:
Reply 70
I did not have enough time to finish my MCQ and i really worry it will drag down my score. what should i do now? is there any way i can find out how i did? or my only option is to change my option of unis to those that dont require lnat?
Reply 71
Original post by Khey Ken
I did not have enough time to finish my MCQ and i really worry it will drag down my score. what should i do now? is there any way i can find out how i did? or my only option is to change my option of unis to those that dont require lnat?

Make sure you have a balance of LNAT and non LNAT universities. Make sure there are some universities you KNOW you can get into.
Sadly, there is absolutely NO way you can know your score until February.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 72
Hi there guys,

I did my LNAT exam today and was just wondering how did you guys feel about the essay questions that you did, personally I found it quite tough!
Reply 73
Original post by Ambry
You can't hint at what the topics are, it's unfair and when you do the LNAT you agree not to discuss the questions.
Plus, it's unlikely those questions will come up for you so I wouldn't worry about it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Isn't the LNAT essay questions same for everybody?
Reply 74
Original post by kate300
Isn't the LNAT essay questions same for everybody?

Nope :biggrin:
Everyone gets three from a bank of essay questions.
Reply 75
Original post by Ambry
Nope :biggrin:
Everyone gets three from a bank of essay questions.

Ohhh cool, I found the essay questions a bit hard :frown: what question did you choose?? And how did you feel about it

Kate xx
Reply 76
My LNAT is 9 days away and I'm absolutely petrified. (definitely doesn't help that I have my Cambridge interview in less than a week) My uni choices are definitely too risky.

I've done three practice tests from the Shepard second edition, got 28,28 then 24. Is this an ok score? Do you think it'll go down in exam circumstances?

Essay worries me a lot too - what if I don't have enough to write about in any of the topics given? ah!

I probably just need to calm down but this is so stressful..
Reply 77
Original post by ellamrc
My LNAT is 9 days away and I'm absolutely petrified. (definitely doesn't help that I have my Cambridge interview in less than a week) My uni choices are definitely too risky.

I've done three practice tests from the Shepard second edition, got 28,28 then 24. Is this an ok score? Do you think it'll go down in exam circumstances?

Essay worries me a lot too - what if I don't have enough to write about in any of the topics given? ah!

I probably just need to calm down but this is so stressful..

Listen to me. Take a deep breath. Hold it for a few seconds. Exhale.

You'll be fine.

First, Cambridge doesn't use the LNAT, so even if you messed it up horrendously, there's still a chance you could get a Cambridge offer. In our first informal meeting at Cambridge, my Director of Studies asked us all what we got in the LNAT. Two of the nine lawyers in my intake got scores lower than the national average for our year.

Second, you won't run out of things to write about on the essays. I can't tell you what the questions are, but they're designed to be things that everyone can have an opinion on, so they don't require a lot of in-depth research. Instead, they test your ability to weigh up pros and cons using your own "experiences" to give you the background you need to work out the advantages and disadvantages.

Let me give you an example. I can see that you're a new member, so you might not be aware, but The Student Room (TSR) recently changed its "reputation system". Currently, you can only receive positive reputation (like the "+1" from me on your post), but previously it was possible to receive negative reputation too. What do you think are the pros/cons of having a positive-only system?

Answer

The above aren't the only points you could include - there are also potential arguments about whether persistent negging could be used to "bully" people (another reason cited by Community for getting rid of it), but hopefully you can see what I mean about it being a question that everyone could have an opinion on.

I can't comment on the new edition of Mark Shepherd's book, but I used the old one and I think it was a little bit harder than the LNAT. The main thing is not to panic, even if the question seems a little bit ambiguous, and to read each option carefully to check whether you agree. I can't really remember what the LNAT's questions were like but be wary of the use of definitive words like "all" - can you really be sure from the evidence in the passage that the option is true 100% of the time?

Hope this helps - feel free to quote/PM me if you have any Cambridge-specific questions. (I graduated last year.) Best of luck! :smile:
ahhh so my lnat is in the next few days and im really panicking now

I have the mark shepherd 1st edition book and i got 18 in my first attempt and 16 in my second.

I just cant get to grips with the test and I really want to go to glasgow

Does anyone know the average score for glasgow and if my book is harder/ the same standard as the actual exam
Original post by mm14
I'll post the same thing here as I guess it's just as relevant in this thread

Did my LNAT today, I found the multiple choice better than the practice but I ended up running out of time in the essay section with only about 450 words. It's evident in the essay that I had to rush everything because I got cut off mid sentence, my problem wasn't that I didn't have enough to say but that I had too much to say, this ended up making me panicking more about my lack of time, exacerbating everything further. Anyone else have a similar experience and does anyone know how this may directly impact my chances?

Also does anyone know when we'll be able to discuss the questions openly?

Exactly what happened to me as well. The MCQ was so difficult, literally the most difficult exam I have ever sat my whole life! 4 options to choose from, almost none of them was clearly wrong or correct so I had to just pick an educated guess, and I only had less than 1 minute for each question. In the end I hadn't enough time to review questions that I wasn't really sure about.

As for the essay, I was overwhelmed with ideas and info, had too much to write but too little time, ended up with 475 words. Overall I just think the LNAT isn't a fair assessment at all. It wants you to think quickly, which in this case also means hastily, unforgiving in terms of letting you ruminate on your answers.

Left the hall feeling utterly gutted. And thank you for prolonging my suffering by making me wait until February.

LMAO I sound so frustrated I'm sorry.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending