The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Why do anti-feminists think that feminists don't care about men?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Darien
Some feminists are going on about what you claim is "rampant misogyny and sexism of Islamic culture." That is probably why you believe there is such rampant misogyny and sexism of Islamic culture. However, thousands of British women every year are converting to Islam, so maybe the feminist propaganda about Islam needs examining more closely.

Which of course has nothing to do with family or community pressure...

This is also Islam in Britain, a region where women enjoy a lot of rights and legal protection. Converting to Islam in, say, Afghanistan, would be a different story. There are no compromises there.
Reply 21
Original post by The Angry Stoic
Lets just not worry about it then. If it happens in other countries its not our problem? That will make the world a better place.

The point is that it is happening not only in another country but in another culture. One in which we are not well informed. (Most people find it hard enough to justify why they vote for someone in their own country, let alone be knowledgeable enough to decide the politics elsewhere!) We hear of horrifying reports of something - such as gang rapes by men against women - and not only remain completely ignorant of the gang rapes by women against men that also occur but also judge that to be terrible, ignoring the fact that most people in that country are horrified by this country on matters such as rampant single-parenting or the judicial sentencing gap.

Every country has problems. Every country is better at sorting (most of) them out themselves without meddling by outsiders, never mind how well intentioned.

And what about talking those issues over here?

We can't fight genital mutilation just in the UK if we are having immigrants coming in who still think its ok. We've got to kill it in the source.

Fight WHAT genital mutilation in the UK?

Female genital mutilation was specifically outlawed in 2003. In ten years, there has not be a single prosecution for female genital mutilation, for trafficking for female genital mutilation or any other aspect of that law. While we can't pretend that every criminal is caught, the millions of pounds spent every year on female genital mutilation should surely have come up with something by now if it was a big problem?

Meanwhile, male genital mutilation is completely legal (except possibly a 19th century act that has never been used to try such a case). Male genital mutilation causes the death of male children every year. Instead of trying to stop it, the UK government has spent money through the United Nations to promote it!
Original post by Darien
The point is that it is happening not only in another country but in another culture. One in which we are not well informed. (Most people find it hard enough to justify why they vote for someone in their own country, let alone be knowledgeable enough to decide the politics elsewhere!) We hear of horrifying reports of something - such as gang rapes by men against women - and not only remain completely ignorant of the gang rapes by women against men that also occur but also judge that to be terrible, ignoring the fact that most people in that country are horrified by this country on matters such as rampant single-parenting or the judicial sentencing gap.

Every country has problems. Every country is better at sorting (most of) them out themselves without meddling by outsiders, never mind how well intentioned.

Fight WHAT genital mutilation in the UK?

Female genital mutilation was specifically outlawed in 2003. In ten years, there has not be a single prosecution for female genital mutilation, for trafficking for female genital mutilation or any other aspect of that law. While we can't pretend that every criminal is caught, the millions of pounds spent every year on female genital mutilation should surely have come up with something by now if it was a big problem?

Meanwhile, male genital mutilation is completely legal (except possibly a 19th century act that has never been used to try such a case). Male genital mutilation causes the death of male children every year. Instead of trying to stop it, the UK government has spent money through the United Nations to promote it!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2414014/2-000-female-genital-mutilation-victims-seek-help-London-hospitals-just-3-years.html
I was wondering how long it would take before someone made a comparison between feminists and Nazis, I was not disappointed :tongue:

I completely understand where you're coming from OP, the only problem is, like with many vocal groups, the ones who can shout the loudest and with the most radical views tend to get the attention and people who are not part of it looking at it from the outside see that and think all people in those groups believe in the same things, i.e. female supremacy, ignoring men's rights etc. It's not right, but I can understand where it comes from. However, if people want an educated discussion about it they need to draw a distinction and understand that the most highly publicised views do not reflect the majority. I'm not a feminist myself but it does irk me when I see people slamming feminism as a whole for these radical views when it's not the case. Men's inequality is a very important issue that isn't discussed enough IMO, and that needs to change. We need to accept the differences between genders and work to reach a viable solution, not argue about who is better or whose causes are worth more.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 24
Amount of reported attacks.

No, actually. The number of reported attacks in India is lower but I allow for poor reporting and data collection to make it "about" the same.

Who cares who joining Islam? Millions joins Nazism. Does that make it ok? Most women joining Islam in the UK haven't fully explored it properly. Many leave within a year.

Good point about Nazism, though I would not want to encourage any comparison between that hate ideology and any religion.

Interesting claim about women leaving Islam within a year. Do you have any source for that data please?
Original post by Darien
Well, that is one reason to be anti-feminist certainly. Feminism is - at best - about "obtaining rights for women" and at worst it is about the destruction of men and masculinity. You can check that out as a fact by looking for what feminist organisations declare as their purpose (most of them are on the Internet, so the research is not hard).

So what makes you self-describe yourself as a 'strong feminist' since this is not what feminism is about? I understand it might be what you would like feminism to be about but it isn't.

You sound more like an egalitarian, to me. Perhaps you should check out egalitarian groups and align yourselves with equality if that is what you believe in.

Yes, there are many more. In the UK there is no legal discrimination against women but there is legal discrimination against men.

There may be some social prejudices against you for being female by some men and women but there is nothing inherent in our society to reinforce these prejudices. To the contrary, there are many prejudices to support prejudice in your favour as a woman. Meanwhile, please bear in mind that there is inherent prejudice against males, including statutory law that discriminates against men.

On the whole that's not accurate, though close. Feminists can talk all they like between themselves about perceived disadvantages but if they want anyone else to listen, they should back up what they say with fact (and I'm not including biased 'studies' of pre-selected groups to 'prove' some research).

When feminists keep spouting the same old rubbish over and over again (e.g. "women have been oppressed for 500/2000/many thousands of years", "women get paid less than men") or make the same sexist misandric statements (e.g. "women didn't have the vote for thousands of years [nor did men], "women are victims of domestic violence" [so are men]) then they need to be silenced.

Our society is, and has been for at least 700 years, focused around the needs of women (and children). We are so emotionally inclined to care more about women than men, that men are now second-class citizens in this country. However, we are supposed to have 'equality' and when feminists keep making emotional appeals based on no data, faulty data or data that applies to society as a whole but is emphasised only for women, then there is a problem for men. That is when decent, thinking men and women oppose feminism and support equality.

The anti-feminists, the egalitarians, the men's rights movement, the father's and children's movement all campaign for equality, for fairness, for men's rights, for the rights of fathers, children AND women & mothers.

A few women support these campaigns, especially the egalitarians. Mostly it is left to men who are willing to buck the trend and ignore propaganda to fight for men's rights.

Without men, the chartists and suffragettes would not have won the right to vote that was granted to men a few years before them. Without men, the Women's Liberation Movement would not have gained the laws on equal pay and conditions in the 1970s that has ensured women have the same pay as men. The feminist movement has done little for women but what it has done, it has done with a lot of male help.

Males need help now. They need support in schools and colleges; they need help to get equality under the law; they need the right of equal representation in parliament; they need to be granted the human right of promotion by merit and not have their gonads against them when applying for government grants or local council help on shelter and housing. They need so much more, too, without even discussing things wrong with the media and general attitudes that make men's lives subtly more difficult. Yet where are all the women willing to help men, just as men have helped women so much?

Men do campaign. Why aren't women helping them?

In campaigning for men's human rights and equality, the men's rights movement comes up against feminist opposition time and again. From fair health expenditure (which might reduced the death gap over time) and equal pension time, through to equal suffrage and equal judicial consideration, to equal anonymity between accuser and defender in court and much more, feminists - often backed with tax-payer money - fight the rights of men at every opportunity.

Now do you see why many people fighting for men's rights have to be anti-feminist? They really would rather not waste their time: their is so much work to do, without having to fight off opposing groups.

I totally disagree!
With your remark about the suffragists etc having to have help from men.... men were the ones with the power - women were seen as mad if they considered equal voting rights which is huge sexism.

Also, I haven't seen ANY mens rights campaigns for several years. When one comes up, I will be right behind it.
Original post by Darien
No, actually. The number of reported attacks in India is lower but I allow for poor reporting and data collection to make it "about" the same.

Good point about Nazism, though I would not want to encourage any comparison between that hate ideology and any religion.

Interesting claim about women leaving Islam within a year. Do you have any source for that data please?

Islam is incredibly hateful.

http://www.newstatesman.com/religion/2013/05/confessions-ex-muslim

While its difficult to get acurate statistics this article talks about some estimates.
Reply 27

A very emotive article unsupported by confirmed data.

Meanwhile, boys die every month in South Africa and around the world, thanks in part to a United Nations programme to promote male genital mutilation despite findings that it can harm long-term health. Baby boys die every year in the UK, with no legal protection for their lives or bodily integrity. The average female circumcision involves cutting 30,000 nerve endings, for males it's up to 80,000. Yet while it is illegal when done against girls, it is legally supported when done against boys, despite their loss and exposure to health risk.

Half a million young boys, with no legal recognition of their ability to decide for themselves and no legal protection against others, will have their genitals mutilated. No feminist group has ever joined the campaign against this; instead some have fought equality for males and opposed the introduction of a law against male genital mutilation while pretending that female genital mutilation is rampant.

Remember, in ten years there has not been even ONE prosecution (even an unsuccessful one) for female genital mutilation despite all the claims of 'proof' that have been circulated.
Reply 28
Original post by chocolateorange111
I totally disagree!
With your remark about the suffragists etc having to have help from men.... men were the ones with the power - women were seen as mad if they considered equal voting rights which is huge sexism.

There were indeed many men and women who opposed suffrage for women. But think for a moment: if women could not vote, who was it that voted to give women the vote?

If you read contemporary history, not just the stuff we are all spoon-fed in schools and gender studies, you would recognise the efforts men made to get men and women the vote (remember, the suffragettes were campaigning for female votes to equal men's at a time when most men could not vote - it was others who were campaigning for general and universal suffrage). However, even if you don't read up to get a balanced viewpoint of the time, you surely must recognise the logic that since only (some) men could vote at the time, it was men who voted to give women suffrage (at the same time that universal suffrage was granted to men).

Also, I haven't seen ANY mens rights campaigns for several years. When one comes up, I will be right behind it.

Try this link. You will find various men and women campaigning for various men's rights. You can also find links to other men's rights groups in the UK and around the world.
http://antimisandry.com/articles/
Men look forward to your support.
I totally disagree!

You mad?

Do you understand that it was male invented technology that allowed for women to move into the job world in the first place? Do you think it is a coincidence that feminism just suddenly appears after the industrial revolution?

If you don't accept that women were complicit in their roles for all that time (due to physically not being able to do the things men did to put food on the table, to simply it greatly) then one would have to accept that women ARE the inferior sex.

Every other oppressed group got liberated or fought back against their conquerors, but not women for hundreds of thousands of years?

Either A women weren't oppressed in the way that was made out or B they are pathetic weaklings that are incapable of societal progression like every other group is.

I take option A.
People who identify as feminists end up being whiny misandrists. For example, Jessica Valenti whines about who wraps Christmas presents and another one talked about placing men in concentration camps. They also do nothing to help men.
The modern anti-feminist movement... weirdly enough has feminist roots.

During the 1970's feminism and radical feminism had a quite drastic split. The main difference between feminism and radical feminism back then basically this.

Feminism = Patriarchy is a male led society which due to structural issues resulted in some forms discrimination against women. Today most people can be in this group and is a genuine compassionate viewpoint.

Radical Feminism = Patriarchy is a society created by men, for men, who intentionally oppressed and abused women. Much of this results from a resentment of men (aka resenting people who have it better than yourself) rather than any a honest compassionate aim.

From the 70's to early 90's this split resulted in radical feminism becoming the modern feminism in government, media and academia. Today when you say 'radical' feminist, most people think you're talking about extreme radical feminists or militant feminists but 'radical' feminism doesn't need to be anywhere near as extreme.

By comparison starting in the mid 80's, after removing non radical feminists from positions that had exposure, they slowly started to label the original second wave feminists as post-feminist or anti-feminist. You will tend to notice most academic anti-feminists were actually second wave feminists themselves.
I totally disagree!

You do realise more women were against women's suffrage than in favour? Anti-Suffragette movements were mostly female, outnumbered suffragettes, with many banning male membership.

Hell the issue was so important to women, in 1895 the women of Massachusetts were asked by the state whether they wished the suffrage. Of the 575,000 voting women in the state, only 22,204 cared for it enough to vote on the issue. About 4%.... and even then women voted against it.

Similar things in 1915 happened in new york.
(edited 7 years ago)
Whenever I see a feminism based argument on here, one repeated argument from the anti-feminists is that feminists don't want equality, they actually want women to have more rights than men because otherwise they would call it 'humanism' and be campaigning for rights for everyone, for example where men are discriminated against.

As a strong feminist, this upsets me because I do genuinely care about discrimination against men. I have lots of male friends and it upsets me when they are prejudiced against for being guys just as I am prejudiced against for being female.

Examples:
Car insurance for boys is always so much higher
Girls getting into clubs for free
For older men, the rights to custody etc
My male friend wants to be a primary school teacher but is scared he'll get labelled as a paedophile.

Those are just a few and I'm sure there are plenty more.

Basically what I'm trying to say is anti-feminists seem to get very angry when feminists talk about how women are disadvantaged. It's not that feminists don't care about men's rights, it's just that most feminists are women and so they are more affected by the women's problems. If some men started a campaign for their problems, most women would be totally behind them and agree. But very few campaigns have been started. The best one is the Everyday Sexism Project which looks at prejudice of both men and women.

So to all the anti-feminists who think men have it just as bad, why don't you put effort into campaigning against it rather than having a go at feminists?

Yes thank u omg
Original post by georgieporgie58
People who identify as feminists end up being whiny misandrists. For example, Jessica Valenti whines about who wraps Christmas presents and another one talked about placing men in concentration camps. They also do nothing to help men’s

So you have two examples and that makes up the whole of the feminism movement? Jesus this is painful. You do realise feminism is about equality not hating men. How ironic that the first thing you have to tell a man after saying you’re a feminist is reassuring them you don’t hate them.
Original post by KingStannis
You mad?

Do you understand that it was male invented technology that allowed for women to move into the job world in the first place? Do you think it is a coincidence that feminism just suddenly appears after the industrial revolution?

If you don't accept that women were complicit in their roles for all that time (due to physically not being able to do the things men did to put food on the table, to simply it greatly) then one would have to accept that women ARE the inferior sex.

Every other oppressed group got liberated or fought back against their conquerors, but not women for hundreds of thousands of years?

Either A women weren't oppressed in the way that was made out or B they are pathetic weaklings that are incapable of societal progression like every other group is.

I take option A.

This is sickening
Reply 36
Original post by Georgiepeel
So you have two examples and that makes up the whole of the feminism movement? Jesus this is painful. You do realise feminism is about equality not hating men. How ironic that the first thing you have to tell a man after saying you’re a feminist is reassuring them you don’t hate them.

Yet some feminists do use it as an excuse for male bashing, the whole 'all men are trash' line not exactly being uncommon.
Either way, doesnt it rather depend on which favour of feminism someone identifies with? the so called 'terf' branch being bashed by everyone else for standing up for female rights etc.

Latest

Trending

Trending