wouldnt be great if we had a universal language ? Watch

This discussion is closed.
_meiko_
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
i was thinking that yeah, english is the universal language but, wouldnt be much better if there was only one language in earth even if we had different cultures? so everybody could comunicate with the rest of the world. I guess i'm just having lots of problems learning polish...
Apollo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by _meiko_)
i was thinking that yeah, english is the universal language but, wouldnt be much better if there was only one language in earth even if we had different cultures? so everybody could comunicate with the rest of the world. I guess i'm just having lots of problems learning polish...
no, i like learning new languages.
makesomenoise
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
There is one, Esperanto. You've probably never heard of it. Some universal language. They should just make English the standard.
TheWolf
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
yes it would be great to have a universal language
TheWolf
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by XTinaA)
There is one, Esperanto. You've probably never heard of it. Some universal language. They should just make English the standard.
i think itd be unfair to have english as the universal language however
Powerline
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by TheWolf)
i agree. Other countries night not want to have english as the universal language- but maybe their own.
TheWolf
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Powerline)
i agree. Other countries night not want to have english as the universal language- but maybe their own.
esp when english is not the most spoken language, this could be very controversial to put english as the universal language
Ramaya
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Yes it would be useful! For one i could communicate to my gran and aunt n uncle who are polish, who i currently cannot speak to. Other languages are interesting too but you can't learn em all.
Agrippina
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Argh no, countries would lose part of their identity! Like having the Euro as the currency in loads of countries!
makesomenoise
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Why? Every country uses it, most list it as one of the official languages. It's the most widely spoken language in the world. It's not unfair and it's most convenient.
Apollo
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Eeyore)
Argh no, countries would lose part of their identity! Like having the Euro as the currency in loads of countries!
yeah thats one of the cool things about traveling is learning to communicate. It would ruin a lot of the culture.
TheWolf
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Why? Every country uses it, most list it as one of the official languages. It's the most widely spoken language in the world. It's not unfair and it's most convenient.
english is the 3rd most spoken language in the world, its not right to have it as THE language

1 Mandarin Sino-Tibetan Chinese Characters 885 China, Malaysia, Taiwan
2 Spanish Indo-European Latin 332 South America, Central America, Spain
3 English Indo-European Latin 322 USA, UK, Australia, Canada, New Zealand
4 Arabic Afro-Asiatic Arabic 235 Middle East, Arabia, North Africa
5 Bengali Indo-European Bengali 189 Bangladesh, Eastern India
6 Hindi Indo-European Devanagari 182 North and Central India
7 Portuguese Indo-European Latin 170 Brazil, Portugal, Southern Africa
8 Russian Indo-European Cyrillic 170 Russia, Central Asia
9 Japanese Altaic Chinese Characters and 2 Japanese Alphabets 125 Japan
10 German Indo-European Latin 98 Germany, Austria, Central Europe
11 Wu Sino-Tibetan Chinese Characters 77 China
12 Malay, Indonesian Malayo-Polynesian Latin 76 Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore
13 Korean Altaic Hangul 75 Korean Peninsula
14 French Indo-European Latin 72 France, Canada, West Africa, Central Africa
15 Turkish Altaic Latin 69 Turkey, Central Asia
16 Vietnamese Austroasiatic Based on Latin 68 Vietnam, China
17 Telugu Dravidian Telugu 67 Southern India
18 Cantonese Sino-Tibetan Chinese Characters 66 Southern China
19 Marathi Indo-European Devanagari 65 Western India
20 Tamil Dravidian Tamil 63 Southern India
21 Italian Indo-European Latin 59 Italy, Central Europe
22 Urdu Indo-European
Harry Potter
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by PadFoot90)
no, i like learning new languages.
Just because nobody speeks a language, it doesn't mean you can't learn it. Latin or Elvish, for example.
Amazing
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
No it's not. Mandarin (chinese) is more widely spoken, and Russian and Hindi are spoken about as much as English too.
SHANDY
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Do you mean universal as in a language which can be also used to communicate with aliens?
makesomenoise
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
english is the 3rd most spoken language in the world, its not right to have it as THE language
It's most widely spoken, present in more countries than any other. I know more people speak Mandarin than any other but that's due to the sheer population of China and the Orient. I think if any language was to be made universal it would have to be English.
makesomenoise
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Amazing)
No it's not. Mandarin (chinese) is more widely spoken, and Russian and Hindi are spoken about as much as English too.
See above post.
_meiko_
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
(Original post by SHANDY)
Do you mean universal as in a language which can be also used to communicate with aliens?
if you believe you could communicate with aliens, ok, but i said one only language in earth, is just is called universal, i didnt invent the name for that.
TheWolf
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
It's most widely spoken, present in more countries than any other. I know more people speak Mandarin than any other but that's due to the sheer population of China and the Orient. I think if any language was to be made universal it would have to be English.
again english is the 3rd most spoken language, how are you going to influence every chinese and south americans in the world to use it as the universal language? who is gonna fund this teaching?
makesomenoise
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
again english is the 3rd most spoken language, how are you going to influence every chinese and south americans in the world to use it as the universal language? who is gonna fund this teaching?
Many of them already know some English. I'm not saying make English the universal language, but if there were to be one that it should be English.
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (38)
14.67%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (37)
14.29%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (54)
20.85%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (98)
37.84%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (14)
5.41%
No particular grades needed (18)
6.95%