(Original post by MrWhite)
**** it
LOL.
TheWolf
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
as i said before its not about global significance, it WILL divide the medcs and ledcs even more than now - and we know that this isnt a good thing
SHANDY
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by MrWhite)
**** it
Thought Mr White was a gentleman.
Weejimmie
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
"Two nations divided by a common language". At least if people are using a foreign language they know that there are no hidden nuances or assumptions. English speakers tend to assume they do not need to know any other language, because "they'll all speak English". When a language dies, it is like the extinction of an animal- a whole literature and- according to some linguists- a way of thinking are gone.
However, it gets so complex with official languages and translators- how many official languages are there in the EU? How many translators? The obvious solution would be to revive a dead language or create a new one. My own proposals would be either Latin or Esperanto for the EU and Sanskrit- the ancestor of most modern languages- as the official UN language.
Dr. Blazed
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Weejimmie)
However, it gets so complex with official languages and translators- how many official languages are there in the EU? How many translators? The obvious solution would be to revive a dead language or create a new one. My own proposals would be either Latin or Esperanto for the EU and Sanskrit- the ancestor of most modern languages- as the official UN language.

You've never studied Latin, have you ?

Blimey...imagine trying to speak it :eek:
soccercrazygal
Report 15 years ago
I wouldnt likee havin 1 universal language, how can i swear at ppl in all kinds of weirdness & get away with it

Oh yeA its also always nicee tooo say stuff in another language, when u dont want someone too understand
Weejimmie
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Dr. Blazed)
You've never studied Latin, have you ?

Blimey...imagine trying to speak it :eek:
Yes, taught myself many years ago. Well the Romans had no problems speaking it, and once you know Latin it's much easier to read French, Spanish, Portuguese and Romanian.
Saf!
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
i think it would be really boring having the whole world speak the same language
kokopops
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
...juwel...i think u need to learn punjabi...its soo fun and quick...! love it...! kidhaa bhaji....! oi ki gal...
Alexander
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Weejimmie)
Yes, taught myself many years ago. Well the Romans had no problems speaking it, and once you know Latin it's much easier to read French, Spanish, Portuguese and Romanian.
It's probably that the Romans didn't really speak Latin quite as it is written though -- spoken Latin would, I suspect, have less emphasis on accidence and complicated syntax, but more on simple word order. Such a simplified Latin would probably be as speakable as most languages, but unlike Esperanto it wouldn't be particularly easy as there would still be plenty of irregularities.
suspicious_fish
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Bonan vesperon!
Mi parolas Esperanton!
Actually, that's a lie. But I wish I did.
hornblower
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Mathematics is a universal language. It is the only language shared by every body on this planet, in the universe even.

The probes that we have sent into outer space that attempt to communicate with extraterrestrials use maths as the basis of communication.

Maths is like The Matrix - it is behind everything.
SasunD
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
i think that it would be kool for all the countries in the world to come and collaborate on creating a universal language. But, i agree that there will be issues such as loss of cultural basis and things like that as a result of an international langauge.

and Esperanto seems to be like Spanish again.
TheWolf
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by SasunD)
i think that it would be kool for all the countries in the world to come and collaborate on creating a universal language. But, i agree that there will be issues such as loss of culural basis and things like that as a result of an international langauge.

and Esperanto seems to be like Spanish again.
the name sounds every so slightly spanish orientated
suspicious_fish
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by TheWolf)
the name sounds every so slightly spanish orientated
It's based on quite a few european languages, with bits from Russian and I think some oriental influence, and even a bit of direct latin.
Sami_ThePeelite
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
i did latin up to AS, and i always look into the entymology of words
Sami_ThePeelite
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Esperanto/English Dictionary and Phrasebook by Joseph Conroy - it's good
Weejimmie
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Alexander)
It's probably that the Romans didn't really speak Latin quite as it is written though -- spoken Latin would, I suspect, have less emphasis on accidence and complicated syntax, but more on simple word order. Such a simplified Latin would probably be as speakable as most languages, but unlike Esperanto it wouldn't be particularly easy as there would still be plenty of irregularities.
You're confusing colloquial Latin and formal spoken Latin: it's put together differently to English, but that's a matter of getting used to it as with other languages. Cicero's speeches aren't exactly simple, but they were spoken, understood and affected their hearers.
Perhaps we can't understand complex spoken language very easily now. Compare Tony Blair's or Margaret Thatcher's speeches with Churchill's or Gladstone's. Iy's not to do with language, but the way we think and respond.
TheWolf
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by suspicious_fish)
It's based on quite a few european languages, with bits from Russian and I think some oriental influence, and even a bit of direct latin.
there is no oriental influence at all, i cant see any chinese or japanese or whatever influence on the this langauge - i looked at the dictionary :rolleyes:
byakugan_neji
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I love learning languages. I can speak English, Cantonese and Italian at the moment. I hope to also be able to speak Japanese, French and German one day.

So therefore, my answer is a definite no. I like swearing at people in a language they don't know.
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (199)
12.7%
Excited (136)
8.68%
Worried (287)
18.32%
Terrified (355)
22.65%
Meh (136)
8.68%
Confused (35)
2.23%