wouldnt be great if we had a universal language ?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Pencil
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
If there's ever an international language, it will be English.
Weejimmie
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by byakugan_neji)
I love learning languages. I can speak English, Cantonese and Italian at the moment. I hope to also be able to speak Japanese, French and German one day.

So therefore, my answer is a definite no.
I've learned several l;anguages myself and love them. However, if there was a universal language, which was not a native language for anyone, used between foreigners and at official international gatherings, then it would probably help to prevent other languages vanishing.
suspicious_fish
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by TheWolf)
there is no oriental influence at all, i cant see any chinese or japanese or whatever influence on the this langauge - i looked at the dictionary :rolleyes:
Ooops, my mistake. I don't know that much about it, y'know....
Aeris
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
No because we'd all try to build a tower to heaven again. Ok that was a bible study joke. No? Didn't like it?

La La La....
suspicious_fish
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by ArisGreenleaf)
No because we'd all try to build a tower to heaven again. Ok that was a bible study joke. No? Didn't like it?
*Raucous laughter from the atheist*
Aeris
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by suspicious_fish)
*Raucous laughter from the atheist*

I said something funny. Neato. neener neener
piranha85
Report 15 years ago
no no no i dont think there should be one universal language!!!
People would loose their identity and cultural diversity. Language is one of the ways culture is transmitted. Your language can influence how you think - what concepts you accept etc. With different languages everyone thinks differently - we dont want everyone to be the same - it would be so monotonous and might affect progress.

In industry and commerce though, one language accepted above others would be obviously more beneficial for communication though.
kriztinae
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by piranha85)
People would loose their identity and cultural diversity. Language is one of the ways culture is transmitted. Your language can influence how you think - what concepts you accept etc. With different languages everyone thinks differently - we dont want everyone to be the same - it would be so monotonous and might affect progress.

In industry and commerce though, one language accepted above others would be obviously more beneficial for communication though.
i just like being able to speak something others dont understand
BEffect
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by kriztinae)
i just like being able to speak something others dont understand
same here
Fly By
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by piranha85)

hehe, your culture is only what you are. if we have one language then we still wouldn't lose our identity.
kriztinae
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by BEffect)
same here
what languages do u speak?
SamTheMan
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by _meiko_)
i was thinking that yeah, english is the universal language but, wouldnt be much better if there was only one language in earth even if we had different cultures? so everybody could comunicate with the rest of the world. I guess i'm just having lots of problems learning polish...
I can barely understand people from Aberdeen so how would we understand eachother, if we had to get used to even stranger accents?
PsychBrainiac
Report 15 years ago
Don't know whether this has been said before, but Lingua Franca is the term used for a cross-cultural universal langauge.
Everdawn
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by _meiko_)
i was thinking that yeah, english is the universal language but, wouldnt be much better if there was only one language in earth even if we had different cultures? so everybody could comunicate with the rest of the world. I guess i'm just having lots of problems learning polish...
But half the fun is saying "You ate my dog" in chinese when you really mean "where is the bus stop?"!!!!!!
Fly By
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Everdawn)
But half the fun is saying "You ate my dog" in chinese when you really mean "where is the bus stop?"!!!!!!
if its in chinese then it'd REALLY mean you ate my dog
Everdawn
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Fly By)
if its in chinese then it'd REALLY mean you ate my dog
oh, a figure of speech fly!
Fly By
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Everdawn)
oh, a figure of speech fly!
i know
RobbieC
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I think that someone should develop an algorithmic universal translator already. They would surely win the nobel prize if they could just be bothered to program such a device. In this way, we would retain our language, but be able to understand each other.
Fly By
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by RobbieC)
I think that someone should develop an algorithmic universal translator already. They would surely win the nobel prize if they could just be bothered to program such a device. In this way, we would retain our language, but be able to understand each other.
hehe, star trek fan?
Willa
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
There is already a brilliant language called Esperanto, which was intended to be a sort of univeral language. The problem it has is that the number of speakers throughout the world is so limited that they all fit in one Esperanto speaking directory. My dad knows some of it, and my aunt is practically fluent in the language. Anyone (even the linguistically impaired, like me) can teach the basics to themselves in a mere 3 weeks. It is designed to be incredibly easy to learn, because it is based on a few VERY BASIC rules. There are NO IRREGULARS, but admittabley it does lack quite a few adjectives (you ahve to string together a series to describe what you want). However, trust me, it's a VERY EFFICIENT language to learn, and I'd highly recommend it. I started learning a few years back and I was speaking full sentances in a week, was brilliant. Shame I've forgotten it all now though
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (312)
34.36%
No (596)
65.64%

Watched Threads