wouldnt be great if we had a universal language ? Watch

This discussion is closed.
gringalet
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
The thing with languages is that they really are a by-product of the culture in which they spring from – for example, German is quite a logical and precise language – there isn't so much room for ambiguity as in French or English – which might sound like typical stereotyping, but I'm half-German so I'm allowed . Anyway, if we did have a universal language, it might end up being made into different dialects anyway; or worse, it could just destroy all the different cultures.

I suppose English would be an alright universal language – aside from all the moods and tenses, the grammar isn't too complex , but I think the idea of reviving an ancient language, creating a new one, or just the more widespread use of Esperanto, would be a much better idea. This language could just be used for official purposes or something, maybe be the language of instruction in schools so that everybody could use it, like with Mandarin, but not necessarily speak it with their friends and family.

Native English speakers are arrogant enough as it is in language terms, without having English as the universal language!
firebladez777.5
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Communication aside, I fail to see any real benefits of having a universal language. It would just make for a more robotic and spectacularly dull world.

(Original post by gringalet)
The thing with languages is that they really are a by-product of the culture in which they spring from – for example, German is quite a logical and precise language – there isn't so much room for ambiguity as in French or English – which might sound like typical stereotyping, but I'm half-German so I'm allowed . Anyway, if we did have a universal language, it might end up being made into different dialects anyway; or worse, it could just destroy all the different cultures.
I agree that languages essentially reflect the culture and society of the country in question.They promote diversity in world terms, and unity in terms of a specific country. I don't think that we'd have quite the same degree of the Football frenzy at World cup/Euro 2004 events if all the participating countries just spoke the same language. Your mothetongue is something to be proud of and to identify yourself with. Scrapping that would really mean scrapping some of your identity.

And besides, if there were a universal language, I couldn't have studied French, which I think is one of the coolest languages ever.
Fly By
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by firebladez777.5)
Communication aside, I fail to see any real benefits of having a universal language. It would jus tmake for a more robotic and spectacularly dull world.

I agree that languages essentially reflect the culture and society of the country in question.They promote diversity in world terms, and unity in terms of a specific country. I don't think that we'd have quite the same degree of the Football frenzy at World cup/Euro 2004 events if all the participating countries just spoke the same language. Your mothetongue is something to be proud of and to identify yourself with. Scrapping that would really mean scrapping some of your identity.

And besides, if there were a universal language, I couldn't have studied French, which I think is one of the coolest languages ever.
what about "your own" language and a universal one?
i dont understand why people keep saying they'll lose their identity?? you wont, like the same way millions of other people speak the same lanuage as us, i'm still me.

and...

if we were speak the same thing, like from teh start. we wouldn't have this for a start you wouldnt need to study french
firebladez777.5
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Fly By)
what about "your own" language and a universal one?
i dont understand why people keep saying they'll lose their identity?? you wont, like the same way millions of other people speak the same lanuage as us, i'm still me.

and...

if we were speak the same thing, like from teh start. we wouldn't have this for a start you wouldnt need to study french
If, in the first place, there was a universal language (and no others), then yes, you wouldn't be 'losing your identity'. But just because millions of people speak English, it doesn't mean that you can't be proud that you're English. A lot of the people who speak it have their own language too, and are not English, and are proud of this fact.

And the French in particular, are very possesive of their language, and feel the need to preserve it from the (ever-increasing) invasion of anglicisms. It is definitely something to identify yourself with.

It's why, in a waty, I feel sorry for the Americans. They have their own history (not a great deal of it) and their own culture (very consumerist), yet they speak a language which isn't inherently their own. I always get the impression that Americans are slightly 'de-rooted'; since they have no real and unique linguistic background.
Fly By
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
If, in the first place, there was a universal language (and no others), then yes, you wouldn't be 'losing your identity'. But just because millions of people speak English, it doesn't mean that you can't be proud that you're English. A lot of the people who speak it have their own language too, and are not English, and are proud of this fact.

And the French in particular, are very possesive of their language, and feel the need to preserve it from the (ever-increasing) invasion of anglicisms. It is definitely something to identify yourself with.

It's why, in a waty, I feel sorry for the Americans. They have their own history (not a great deal of it) and their own culture (very consumerist), yet they speak a language which isn't inherently their own. I always get the impression that Americans are slightly 'de-rooted'; since they have no real and unique linguistic background.
its not about being proud or not, its the way the world is, there are different languages. so back to the original question, wouldn't it be great to have a universal language. my opinion, yes.

i dont feel sorry for the americans at, lets be honest. they've done rpetty well fro themselves.
firebladez777.5
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
its not about being proud or not, its the way the world is, there are different languages. so back to the original question, wouldn't it be great to have a universal language. my opinion, yes.

i dont feel sorry for the americans at, lets be honest. they've done rpetty well fro themselves.
It's worse because they know they've done well for themselves, and seem to think that they're superior to the rest of the world (which may be true financially). Most Americans don't feel they're missing out on anything by not having a real culture as it were. As far as they're concerned, they're the best and that's all that maters. This inability to see beyond material wealth is what makes me pity them. A lot of Americans neer venture out of their own country, becuase according to them, there's nothing in the rest of the world that can't be found in the USA. How untrue.

I think we're just going to have to agree to disagree here. I am just glad that I was not born an American. Also, I like learning different languages; not only does it give you and insight into the culture of a country, but also into the mindsets of the indiginous populatinos. Have you ever notced how people from different countries think very differently and often have different apporaches to the same problem? I find that very interesting.
Fly By
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I think we're just going to have to agree to disagree here. I am just glad that I was not born an American. Also, I like learning different languages; not only does it give you and insight into the culture of a country, but also into the mindsets of the indiginous populatinos. Have you ever notced how people from different countries think very differently and often have different apporaches to the same problem? I find that very interesting.
hehe cant agree totally about the america bit but lets let that go...

yeah let agree to disagree i guess the best is to let everything happen on its own, if we have different languages let it be, if we dont let it be so too. dont try to forcilbly change it.

nice chatting toy ou
sashh
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by kokopops)
i dont think u should have one international language....
how would us natural bi-linguists talk about other ppl infront of them without them knowing????
I agree, it can be so much fun.
sashh
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
and don't forget languages evolve. English is different now to what it was in the middle ages and 'World English' has a number of variations so even if English was adopted as a universal language or just as a lingua franca it wouldn't be the same everywhere.
firebladez777.5
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by sashh)
and don't forget languages evolve. English is different now to what it was in the middle ages and 'World English' has a number of variations so even if English was adopted as a universal language or just as a lingua franca it wouldn't be the same everywhere.
Exactly. And eventually we'd get new languages anyway, because the different threads would evolve to such an extent that they would no longer be recognisable as th same language (sorry, just applying my well-learned theroy of Allopatric speciation....<biology A2> to languages!!!)

It's like slang. Officially approved words make it into language becuase they work, not because hey are officially approved, Take, for instance, the French language. The French big wigs are trying desperately to stop English becoming so much a party of everyday French; however no self-respecting Frrenchman would ever ask for a 'chien-chaud' instead of a hot-dog, would they?
sashh
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Exactly. And eventually we'd get new languages anyway, because the different threads would evolve to such an extent that they would no longer be recognisable as th same language (sorry, just applying my well-learned theroy of Sympatric speciation....<biology A2> to languages!!!)

It's like slang. Officially approved words make it into language becuase they work, not because hey are officially approved, Take, for instance, the French language. The French big wigs are trying desperately to stop English becoming so much a party of everyday French; however no self-respecting Frrenchman would ever ask for a 'chien-chaud' instead of a hot-dog, would they?
And then there are cases where a concept just doesn't have a word in a specific language so one is borrowed eg "Le weekend", eventually it becomes part of the language. So many English woeds are borrowings without them we couldn't communicate.
tis_me_lord
Badges: 14
Report 14 years ago
It's never gonna happen but things would be a lot easier that way, i'm terrible at learning languages.
Pzyko
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
No, it would be crap. French people talk crap; I really don't care what they have to say.
Bhaal85
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by _meiko_)
i was thinking that yeah, english is the universal language but, wouldnt be much better if there was only one language in earth even if we had different cultures? so everybody could comunicate with the rest of the world. I guess i'm just having lots of problems learning polish...
Isn't maths a universal language, and look at what it has accomplished.
tis_me_lord
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Bhaal85)
Isn't maths a universal language, and look at what it has accomplished.
lol!!!
waiting2smile
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by tis_me_lord)
It's never gonna happen but things would be a lot easier that way, i'm terrible at learning languages.
No we can't have a universal language, It's tres amusing being able to swear in German/Spanish/Italian at the French! I love languages
Fly By
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by waiting2smile)
No we can't have a universal language, It's tres amusing being able to swear in German/Spanish/Italian at the French! I love languages
even more amusing swearing in french at the french
tis_me_lord
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by waiting2smile)
I did foundation French. Though tres means very, i knew that! *Proud*

All i know how to do is say in German that 'i have a big fat sausage', very useful if i ever go to Germany. :rolleyes:
tis_me_lord
Report 14 years ago
even more amusing swearing in french at the french
How about just english at the English? I can handle that, though i don't do it often. On a random note my sister has just failed her driving test again.
Fly By
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by tis_me_lord)
How about just english at the English? I can handle that, though i don't do it often. On a random note my sister has just failed her driving test again.
oh dear, but thats only twice. not too bad, i passed on my second attempt
what seh failed on?
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (200)
18.76%
No (648)
60.79%
Not really bothered about them (218)
20.45%

Watched Threads