Turn on thread page Beta

wouldnt be great if we had a universal language ? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by allisandro)
    I'm pretty sure more people in teh world speak spanish than english...but i admit it might be that it's spoken in more countries. either way, it is very widely spoken and understood.
    I would believe that there are more native Spanish speakers than native English speakers, by a small margin. But, I think there are probably more people who can speak English than people who can speak Spanish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by technik)
    the universal language is mathematics
    It's not much good if you want to shout for help or seduce someone though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Weejimmie)
    It's not much good if you want to shout for help or seduce someone though.
    Pictures someone saying "Wow, baby, I just love the way you integrate."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychic_satori)
    Oh, I wasn't accusing you of insinuating anything. I was just pointing out that a lot of predominantly bilingual countries were forced into it. I'm sure the older Bulgarians don't like using Russian.
    probably not, considering the history associated with it! still an advantage though, to be bilingual. the main industry in those countries, and indeed the world, is tourism, so languages are essential.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harry Potter)
    Just because nobody speeks a language, it doesn't mean you can't learn it. Latin or Elvish, for example.
    I like learning languages to speak them. I'm doing french and spanish, and want to take up german, russian, greek and italian. And I used to learn latin anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by immortal)
    I like learning languages to speak them. I'm doing french and spanish, and want to take up german, russian, greek and italian. And I used to learn latin anyway.
    Don't you think if we had a universal language you would have been able to divert all that effort to something such as finding a cure for cancer, or a really good renewable energy source?

ReputationRep:
    7% of the world speaks english, just 7%.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by canuck)
    That's just as a first language. More than 7% has English as a secondary or tertiary language.

ReputationRep:
    I read in a magazine somewhere that the EU has to spend something like 5 million a year on translators to translate documents into different languages and for interpreters for meetings!
    Quite ludicrous!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frost105)
    I read in a magazine somewhere that the EU has to spend something like 5 million a year on translators to translate documents into different languages and for interpreters for meetings!
    Quite ludicrous!
    *shrug* Keeps people in work though, doesn't it.

ReputationRep:
    I think a universal language would be good coz I hated learning French

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _meiko_)
    i was thinking that yeah, english is the universal language but, wouldnt be much better if there was only one language in earth even if we had different cultures? so everybody could comunicate with the rest of the world. I guess i'm just having lots of problems learning polish...
    I wouldn't mind there being a universal language. Nothing makes me feel stupider than to not be able to understand someone that is speaking to me.

ReputationRep:
    As I can't be arsed reading through 7 pages, i'll metion it even if someone else has. We already have a universal language. It's called Latin.

ReputationRep:
    someone took all the languages and mixed them up to create a universal lang once. it was called Esperanto. however it failed and noone bothered to learn it.

ReputationRep:
    i like learning languages.
    IF english was the worlds official language it would just give us english another excuse not to bother trying to learn other languages.
    if they chose a different/new language, english people would probably just refuse to learn it and continue to expect everyone to speak english.

PS, i am NOT insulting all english people but sometimes it is quite embaressing when you go abroad and hear people yelling english at foreign people, presuming that, if they yell loud enough, theyll be understood.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by canuck)
    i dont believe you. most of europe speaks english (althogh not as a 1st lang) america, asia all learn fluent eng.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by magiccarpet)
    i dont believe you. most of europe speaks english (althogh not as a 1st lang) america, asia all learn fluent eng.

i guess the 1 billion people in china know english as a second language, or the slums of south american, the people there must be so educated. Christ in canada, we have people that dont know english, and same with the states.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by allisandro)
    I'm pretty sure more people in teh world speak spanish than english...but i admit it might be that it's spoken in more countries. either way, it is very widely spoken and understood.
    It would be interesting to know figures of those speaking certain languages over time, in my opinion. For example, there may be further increasing number of people speaking Spanish due to the ratio of birth-date rates.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.