The Student Room Group

Extended Project Qulification - HELP!

Hiya peoples!!

I need some help choosing my project for my EPQ !! I have ideas like:

Bullying

Writing (Journalism)

Performing Arts (My teacher says it is too [Broad]

I need something that'll be in the University of Kent's library - we have two visits there to do our research which is AWESOME! But I need something that'll be in their library!!

HELP!!

Scarlett Outlaw
:bebored::bebored::bebored:
Reply 1
Original post by ScarlettOutlaw
Hiya peoples!!

I need some help choosing my project for my EPQ !! I have ideas like:

Bullying

Writing (Journalism)

Performing Arts (My teacher says it is too [Broad]

I need something that'll be in the University of Kent's library - we have two visits there to do our research which is AWESOME! But I need something that'll be in their library!!

HELP!!

Scarlett Outlaw
:bebored::bebored::bebored:

All three of those are "too broad". The idea is that you come up with a question or hypothesis or statement which you discuss/answer in your project. E.g. "To what extent are desk fans responsible for bullying in 13 year olds?" bad example, but you get the idea.

Also, do not expect to find everything you need at that university library over two days. My school did a trip to a university library for the same purpose (for one day) and you will NOT find everything you need. You will need to spend time looking elsewhere and be prepared to sift through articles/journals (can be found online) etc.

i strongly recommend you pick something of interest to you or your desired career and do not base it AT ALL on what you think you will find at the library.
Reply 2
As a student who has done an EPQ, I definitely recommend choosing something you feel passionate about. An EPQ is equivalent to an AS and requires practically the same amount of work to complete it, so choosing something that you can study in depth for hours on end without getting bored is high priority.

Don't worry about the library not having the right books. Online sources can also be used, such as news articles, journals etc. I would recommend thinking of what you want to do after you finish school (though this isn't completely necessary, if you have an strong interest outside of your subjects or what you plan to study then there is no reason why you shouldn't investigate that:biggrin:).
Also having a strong question which you can argue both for and against results in very good essay material. Brainstorm until you find something within your chosen topic that you are really interested in finding the answer to.

An EPQ is a very rewarding experience, if you have any more questions about the EPQ feel free to ask them.
:smile:
Reply 3
I agree with what Aquar said, all three are too broad. If you don't do something you're passionate about, you will end up dropping out of it altogether especially because of the pressure of A2. It's best to just do something that links to the course you want to study at uni. Also, I used my entire summer holiday gathering sources and then breaking them down/sifting through it and that was the part that took up a lot of time! You also don't need to use Kent's library. I used my local library, bought a couple of books off Amazon and used the internet. Good luck! :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Aquar
All three of those are "too broad". The idea is that you come up with a question or hypothesis or statement which you discuss/answer in your project. E.g. "To what extent are desk fans responsible for bullying in 13 year olds?" bad example, but you get the idea.

Also, do not expect to find everything you need at that university library over two days. My school did a trip to a university library for the same purpose (for one day) and you will NOT find everything you need. You will need to spend time looking elsewhere and be prepared to sift through articles/journals (can be found online) etc.

i strongly recommend you pick something of interest to you or your desired career and do not base it AT ALL on what you think you will find at the library.

Hiya, I have decided to do Cyber Bullying and I have my research question up a ready and been doing lots of research which is "What do secondary school pupils think the social, physical & emotional ramifications are for victims of Cyber Bullying?"
Reply 5
I'm Y11 applying to sixth forms.. And I've seen the EPQ option a few times but it sounded a little strange - however this makes it sound quite interesting.

Is the EPQ taken as an option, say if you had 4 options and you chose English language, lit, and French, could you choose say Maths aswell as EPQ? Or is the EPQ extra-curricular? If it is classed as an option, could you drop one of your subjects after getting the AS qualification and then pick up the EPQ in Y13?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by staticas
I'm Y11 applying to sixth forms.. And I've seen the EPQ option a few times but it sounded a little strange - however this makes it sound quite interesting.

Is the EPQ taken as an option, say if you had 4 options and you chose English language, lit, and French, could you choose say Maths aswell as EPQ? Or is the EPQ extra-curricular? If it is classed as an option, could you drop one of your subjects after getting the AS qualification and then pick up the EPQ in Y13?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You usually do EPQ in your second year, so basically when I dropped my 4th AS, I picked up EPQ. Your sixth form could be different but that's the way it usually works :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest