handwritten essays at uni

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Alexander
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Do tutors generally mind essays being handwritten as opposed to typed?
Peapod
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Alexander)
I think it's all mainly done through e mail now.
viviki
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
At my uni they have to be typed and submitted to the main office
hornblower
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Alexander)
My mate at Oxford does his weekly essays by hand. His handwriting is not the best, but he says it's easier than doing it on his notebook.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
All my reports/essays have to word processed but then I am on a computing course .
Nylex
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I only have one essay to write and it has to be typed.
dazmanultra
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I really don't see why in this day and age why you would want to even consider writing something like this by hand. Errors and omissions can easily be sorted, you can add and remove and chop and change sentences and paragraphs as you please.. you also have a backup for the worst case scenario (you left your bag on the bus/train etc).

I'm possibly also a faster typist than I am writer too.
Nylex
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by dazmanultra)
I really don't see why in this day and age why you would want to even consider writing something like this by hand. Errors and omissions can easily be sorted, you can add and remove and chop and change sentences and paragraphs as you please.. you also have a backup for the worst case scenario (you left your bag on the bus/train etc).

I'm possibly also a faster typist than I am writer too.
Yeah, true. My essay has gotta be between 1350 and 1650 words. I know if I wrote it by hand, I'd definetly make lots of mistakes.
~Sam~
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Sometimes it's just easier to handwrite essays though. Like if you leave it until registration on the day it is due in. Or you want to watch TV at the same time and your PC's in another room. I like typing essays most the time but staring at a computer screen at hours on end drives me crazy. It's nice to handwrite for a change at times!
Alexander
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Thanks for the information people. At the moment I type up coursework so I can edit it ad nauseam, but I handwrite all normal essays because it's easier, more flowing, and more personal. I suppose I'll just have to get used to the idea of typing; I can touch-type so it shouldn't be too difficult.
iiikewldude
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
using a word processor is so much easier, i would never consider handwriting a essay over 1000 words.
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I have typed all mine so far, but for exams we will have to handwrite them, so I'm thinking I need to get in some practice at that now. If your writing is nice, the tutors may not mind, although they may well specify typed. If it looks like a spider has crawled across the page and died, however, typing would be worth considering.
picju96
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Mine all have to be typed.
Geogger
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by picju96)
Mine all have to be typed.
Just be careful not to lose the habit of planning and writing essays straight off - many people still have finals in which you have to write for 3 solid hours at a time!
picju96
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
My first year exams are like that... let alone finals! I normally plan and sketch out my essays by hand first, if I have time, to practice doing that.
Insatiable
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
At an open day for English at Bristol they said all essays have to be word processed.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (209)
33.49%
No (415)
66.51%

Watched Threads