Sixth form with uniform or without uniform, which do you prefer?

Watch
yellowcopter
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Which do you prefer, sixth forms that have uniforms or sixth forms that don't. Why do you prefer it, and what do you think are the pros and cons of each? Does the sixth form you go to/that you're planning to go to have uniform or not?

When I apply to sixth form later this year I'm unsure whether I want to go to one with uniform or not. I like being able to wear my own comfy clothes, but then again there is a better sixth form I could go to that have uniform, but it's full suits and everything which I think I wouldn't like at all.
Rachel0
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I never really understood the point in uniform and being able to wear your own clothes at mine was so much more convenient and comfy!

But I'm not sure I'd choose which one to go to based on uniform or not - I'd suggest going to the one where you think you'll be happiest and get the most out of your time there.
Menakshelatte
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
ciinsidering it will be 16-18/19 years old, i would say yes to uniform.

if it was a college, i would say without uniform.
yellowcopter
Rep:
?
Just wanted to bump this for more opinions.
Lialore
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'd honestly prefer uniform.
I go a Sixth Form College where it isn't required, and looking nice every day is just so much effort, it'd be much easier to put on uniform each day and look smart and tidy.
noheartattack
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
My sixth form has a dress code, so you wear smart clothing BUT THEY ARE SO RESTRICTIVE. Like skirts have to be a certain length, smart blouses. No flowery dresses. Black blazer at all times. Your clothes have to match. It's so annoying.

I'd rather just wear a uniform than spend ages shopping for decent clothes that the sixth form would approve of :L
Ndella
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Prefer uniform. You don't need to waste time choosing what to wear every single day.
LeonieEmily
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
My sixth form let you wear what you wanted so long as it wasn't obscenely short or low cut and it worked fine. It meant you could be comfortable, people didn't really care what you wore so it wasn't like a fashion parade and it wasn't restrictive. It was also nice to be different to the lower school who were in uniform, made you feel a bit older with more freedom I guess
GekoFan
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You can wear whatever at my sixth form, I love rolling up in my hoodies and leggings More comfortable than wearing school trousers and shirts and ties.
kpwxx
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'd prefer non-uniform. I get to wear more comfy things and it actually gives me a chance to wear clothes that I like - I have been to uni and am now in work. I don't have a work uniform but am restricted as to what I can wear and I really hate it... I feel like I have all these nice clothes and I only get to wear them 2/7 days. I would find it much more practical and comfortable to wear jeans and any non-offensive top to work. Plus I work in a school and it's really hard to find clothes which are non-casual enough yet not too posh (covered in paint) or see through/low cut/short etc (inappropriate). Seriously, every top is see through lately.

Having said that I would probably prefer school uniform in sixth form to 'business wear' that some sixth forms insist on. The thing I dislike the most is that fact that they argue "This is what you'll have to wear in work."... only if you work in a business environment. There are many many other jobs out there other than these, and a lot of students will go to uni first where you can wear whatever you like so it doesn't make much sense.

xxx
Handles
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Even though it's a bit of a pain having to prepare clothes everyday for Sixth Form (although some people seem to just go for their own form of uniform), I do still prefer non-uniform. Firstly, it allows the atmosphere to feel a little more relaxed than if we were in uniform. Secondly, it almost seems as though it has an influence on how you are treated by teachers, and perhaps more prominently, pupils lower down in the school (although no matter how I dress someone will always give some incrediblywitty remark about how I supposedly look a little like that famous wizard, Harry Potter). Finally, it does allow for a greater sense of individuality. Nobody gets mocked for their clothes (at least from what I've witnessed), so other than convenience I see little reason for Sixth Forms to have a uniform.
jeddows
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I went to a sixth form without a proper uniform, and it was a right pain. We basically had "guidelines", like no jeans, no trainers, no bright colours or big logos/images etc, but they didn't enforce the rules properly, so a friend of mine go a huge *******ing form wearing dark blue jeans, while another got away with a red and white striped shirt, orange body warmer and faded blue jeans.
To be honest I would have preferred a uniform. It's easier to get ready, don't have to "worry" about what you're wearing, and means it easier for teachers to be fair on the rules.
That said, it was great going to lectures in horrible trackies and big hoodies
User969610
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
We have no uniform and very generous rules: as long as the clothing isn't ridiculous, you can go with them. And it works out pretty nicely, at least for boys...
LeonieEmily
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
My sixth form let you wear what you wanted so long as it wasn't obscenely short or low cut and it worked fine. It meant you could be comfortable, people didn't really care what you wore so it wasn't like a fashion parade and it wasn't restrictive. It was also nice to be different to the lower school who were in uniform, made you feel a bit older with more freedom I guess
EmilyD237
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I stayed on at 6th form at my school - we had uniform but completely different to lower school, had a choice of shirt and skirt too. So we stood out from lower school, were treated differently by teachers, getting ready in the morning was easy, gave a sense of pride in the school. Girls in lower school didn't wear a tie, but the 6th form tie was optional for girls - and a lot of us wore it!
Most other schools in the area with 6th form had uniform too - if you really didn't want to wear uniform there was the 6th form college.
Flobie
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
There's more to choosing a 6th form than uniform. Go where you'll have more fun or get a better education. I stuck with my grammar school, which has a uniform, and didn't mind it because I knew that I only had to wear it for 2 more years, then after that I could wear anything I wanted for the rest of my life. Don't regret it one bit.
Xscape
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by yellowcopter)
Which do you prefer, sixth forms that have uniforms or sixth forms that don't. Why do you prefer it, and what do you think are the pros and cons of each? Does the sixth form you go to/that you're planning to go to have uniform or not?

When I apply to sixth form later this year I'm unsure whether I want to go to one with uniform or not. I like being able to wear my own comfy clothes, but then again there is a better sixth form I could go to that have uniform, but it's full suits and everything which I think I wouldn't like at all.
You seem obsessed with sixth form/college lol. Which one do you plan to go to?
yellowcopter
Rep:
?
(Original post by Xscape)
You seem obsessed with sixth form/college lol. Which one do you plan to go to?
I only have two threads about sixth form and I'm not obsessed. I was just wondering what people preferred.

Still unsure, and I don't really want to say which ones I'm considering due to the fact I want my identity on the forums to be purely anonymous.
dreadpiraterach
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I went to a non-uniform sixth form and I think that if we'd had to wear uniform it would have felt too much like school and that we were being treated like children. I would have hated it. Plus, the sixth form was part of a secondary school so by not wearing uniform we stood out as sixth formers rather than lower school pupils.
~ Aquamarine ~
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Own clothes, should be old enough to dress sensibly
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (329)
34.6%
No (622)
65.4%

Watched Threads