keirajodi
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
HELP.

Before anyone says how hard the industry is to get into just help me pick.

I was originally planning on film production, made sense as its a practice course and you get experience out of it.
But after getting my AS grades and speaking to my English teacher she recommended me doing Film Studies instead as I'm capable of applying to a higher uni and doing a subject more academic.
My Dad disagrees, and think film production would get me into the industry better.
But I KNOW it will be hard either way.
I'm just drawn between the two so help please!!!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Olifromsolly
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Getting a job in the film industry is mostly based upon experience rather than academic progress. Employers look for what experience you have had either for what you have made by yourself or work experience. Do note, though, that most of the highest people in the industry actually started out as "runners" in studio or location shoots, mostly doing humdrum office work and making tea. Some didn't even have film degrees, and did university degrees in a different subject as a backup.

From this perspective, it would seem better to go for a film production course, however, you need to ask yourself: "Can I make films?" I feel as though just as many people can learn to make films on their own without University tutoring. There's a gazillion tutorials on the internet on every aspect of filmmaking. I would say most good film production students have made a good deal of films before they attend University and only use the university experience to enrich their current craft and to gain contacts. I've seen some awful, inept films at university from people who haven't even made films prior to coming, and they usually end up wasting a year only getting up to the level of those who already made films before starting. If you can nurture a talent and become very skilled in a certain profession IE music videos, Cinematographer, special effects etc. you can find self-employed work quite abundant.

However, if you feel you are very good academically, then go for film studies. If you can get a great grade in film studies it would probably be worth more than a low film production grade, even though there's more potential for work experience or contacts.

Whatever you decide, try to make a careful decision. Some universities offer both theoretical and practical units, while some are predominantly practice or theory. I spent my first year at Falmouth University. The course there is very good, but the tutors are largely theory tutors and the proposed "60% theory 40% practical" was more "The lectures are all theory, go do practical in your spare time", even though we got practical units, the teaching on practice was poor. I have since transferred to do my second year at gloucestershire university, which I believe will be predominantly practical.

Whatever you decide, just make sure you show lots of enthusiasm for working hard and expect to start from a low position before achieving that filmmaking dream.
TV man
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
[QUOTE=Olifromsolly;44522021]Getting a job in the film industry is mostly based upon experience rather than academic progress. Employers look for what experience you have had either for what you have made by yourself or work experience. Do note, though, that most of the highest people in the industry actually started out as "runners" in studio or location shoots, mostly doing humdrum office work and making tea. Some didn't even have film degrees, and did university degrees in a different subject as a backup.

I agree with Olifromsollyabove - you do not need a Film studies or Film production degree to get a job in the industry, it is experience you need. That experience would be better gained by making your own films or helping out on others whilst reading up about film grammar or attending an evening course or two.

It is pretty much a complete waste of money spending £20,000 plus on a course like this at University. If you are going to go then study something more intrinsically helpful or academically viable. In short do the best, most academic course you can at the best University you can get in to - and make films on the side.
jaybeegeeful
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by keirajodi)
HELP.

I was originally planning on film production, made sense as its a practice course and you get experience out of it.
But after getting my AS grades and speaking to my English teacher she recommended me doing Film Studies instead as I'm capable of applying to a higher uni and doing a subject more academic.
My Dad disagrees, and think film production would get me into the industry better.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The best way to get into the film industry is contacts and a good portfolio...you have to be in the right place at the right time.
mulberry1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I had this problem. I'd say do an academic degree and do short courses/work experience on the side. My friend did a month- long vocational course and got told at the end they'd basically covered the content of the BA!
keirajodi
Rep:
?
(Original post by mulberry1)
I had this problem. I'd say do an academic degree and do short courses/work experience on the side. My friend did a month- long vocational course and got told at the end they'd basically covered the content of the BA!
AHHH yeah, I think is is what I'm going to do.
I've done lots of work experience already and hope to continue.
I want to do a degree anyway, always wanted to.

Posted from TSR Mobile
keirajodi
Rep:
?
(Original post by popprincess)
I think you should try to keep your options open as far as possible. You sound like a bright girl who is capable of doing a more academic degree at a more prestigious university. Top unis will generally not offer what they consider to be 'mickey mouse' degrees. In my opinion, you would be far better to study theatre studies at the best uni you can get into and one that is good for that field. Don't be fooled into thinking that film producers dont need an academic degree etc and that only experience counts. If you look at a lot of film producers bibliography you can see that many of them had both. You should get work experience alongside your degree. Then, maybe after your undergraduate degree, you could do a psotgraduate masters in the field of your choice ie film production. There are lots on offer. Check out the National Film and Televison School or the London Film and Television School- both offer excellent postgrad/masters degrees which would rly help you stand out from the crowd. For undergraduate studies, exeter in my opinion is one of the best as it has its own radio station where students can come and get work experience in all things media related- this is unique to exeter and it is quite prestigious

The choice is yours at the end of the day but it is important to keep your options open
yeah thanks really nice points there, Well I'm considering Kings College London and Exeter which both do film studies. I think I want to do film studies, currently study it at a level and I'll be sad to leave it hahahah.
But yeah I think I am probably likely to do post-grad in production, I feel that's more me.
THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP!!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
nataliecsutton
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Just something to consider.

Nowadays people in the Film insudtry and looking for people with a Film production coruse that has a Creative Skillset award (Westminster, Ravensbourne, Norwich etc) which is the ones I'm applying for, most are 60/70% practical and 30/40% theory - and some aren't all coursework with exams also. Yet the award shows the hirer that you've been trained to an industry standard. I've looked at a few of these courses and they look alot more creative and funner than normal academic course. And don't listen to the "mickey mouse" aspect, if you want to work on a film set it takes both knowledge of past and present films, experience on sets and soemtimes a degree. Hope this helped

P.S I'm applying for Film production, so message me anytime!
keirajodi
Rep:
?
(Original post by nataliecsutton)
Just something to consider.

Nowadays people in the Film insudtry and looking for people with a Film production coruse that has a Creative Skillset award (Westminster, Ravensbourne, Norwich etc) which is the ones I'm applying for, most are 60/70% practical and 30/40% theory - and some aren't all coursework with exams also. Yet the award shows the hirer that you've been trained to an industry standard. I've looked at a few of these courses and they look alot more creative and funner than normal academic course. And don't listen to the "mickey mouse" aspect, if you want to work on a film set it takes both knowledge of past and present films, experience on sets and soemtimes a degree. Hope this helped

P.S I'm applying for Film production, so message me anytime!
Yeah I was looking at that, Gonna still apply to Westminster as I really liked it there.
Not too keen on Ravensbourne
but applying to both courses film studies at some,
good luck for you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Jedimonkey
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Now that 6 years have passed, what are everyone's thoughts about needing a degree to get into the industry. I'm in my 2nd year and I hate it. I've done a lot of private study on my own and my college course was brilliant. So uni for me has been a 99.9% waste.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Jedimonkey)
Now that 6 years have passed, what are everyone's thoughts about needing a degree to get into the industry. I'm in my 2nd year and I hate it. I've done a lot of private study on my own and my college course was brilliant. So uni for me has been a 99.9% waste.
Where are you studying?

Have you taken advantage of all the opportunities to get involved in extra curricular film making as crew? That is usually the best way to make contacts and build your showreel and cv for applying for work. Did you get any industry experience during your holidays?
Jedimonkey
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by PQ)
Where are you studying?

Have you taken advantage of all the opportunities to get involved in extra curricular film making as crew? That is usually the best way to make contacts and build your showreel and cv for applying for work. Did you get any industry experience during your holidays?
I'm studying film production.

Tbh I'm not sure how to get in as a crew member anywhere. I have 0 contacts anywhere. Everyone else on my course isn't at the same level as me from what I know. At the moment I'm making my own little shorts but I'm currently working on publishing my work and starting my own youtube channel. As for industry experience, I didn't. I have a part time job (unrelated to film) I do alongside uni to help with my outgoings. I have no idea how to get into the industry.
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I'm studying film production.

Tbh I'm not sure how to get in as a crew member anywhere. I have 0 contacts anywhere. Everyone else on my course isn't at the same level as me from what I know. At the moment I'm making my own little shorts but I'm currently working on publishing my work and starting my own youtube channel. As for industry experience, I didn't. I have a part time job (unrelated to film) I do alongside uni to help with my outgoings. I have no idea how to get into the industry.
Where?
Jedimonkey
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by PQ)
Where?
sorry for the late reply. I don't understand. My uni or work?
TheLearneredOne
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by keirajodi)
HELP.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Your teacher is wrong, she wants you too become a researcher in the film industry rather than involved on sets or in a film. Do the film production course. I did post production for film & TV... It was great... Im editing a short film for a festival... Doing freelance projects and getting paid.
Last edited by TheLearneredOne; 1 month ago
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
sorry for the late reply. I don't understand. My uni or work?
See post #11 - I asked originally "Where are you studying?" you didn't answer that so I repeated the question.
Jedimonkey
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by PQ)
See post #11 - I asked originally "Where are you studying?" you didn't answer that so I repeated the question.
OHH. So sorry. Brunel.
maddiefish74
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by TheLearneredOne)
Your teacher is wrong, she wants you too become a researcher in the film industry rather than involved on sets or in a film. Do the film production course. I did post production for film & TV... It was great... Im editing a short film for a festival... Doing freelance projects and getting paid.
Where did you study post production?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    Postgraduate and professional courses Postgraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20

Has your university offer been reduced?