The Student Room Group
Reply 1
historyhoney
I have decided to do history for a degree (single modern) I can hear the groans of another college post but ur all so kind lovely people... Anyway, so which are the best 3 colleges in ox ford and cambridge, I am looking for one that is quiet (noisewise) and really pretty! I'm not what i need to consider though.... help (lovely lovely lovely people)

anyone?
shouldn't you be looking at the academi interests of the DOS's as well?

MB
Reply 3
historyhoney
I have decided to do history for a degree (single modern) I can hear the groans of another college post but ur all so kind lovely people... Anyway, so which are the best 3 colleges in ox ford and cambridge, I am looking for one that is quiet (noisewise) and really pretty! I'm not what i need to consider though.... help (lovely lovely lovely people)

The simplistic answer is Emmnuel at Cambridge and Merton at Oxford. Both extremely strong as places to study history. I'd guess both count as 'pretty'. Merton is very quiet, Emma less so.

The better answer is that you have a wide choice of colleges and the trick is to find the one you feel some affinity with/comfortable in and where you have a decent chance of getting in. Work out what sort of college you want, check the tutors' areas of interest. Deciding on Oxford or Cambridge might be a sensible starting point!!!
Reply 4
I applied to St. John's, Cambridge for History (got rejected:frown: ). Anyway, it's pretty good for History I'd say and it's beautiful. Very big though. I'd also recommend Sidney Sains... Sussex (sorry Nicky! :tongue:), that's a smaller college, right opposite Sainsbury's :biggrin: .

You might want to pm aliel about History at Oxford, she's going there next year.

Good luck, hope you get in!! :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending