The Student Room Group

Sam sqa 2013-14

Scroll to see replies

Original post by scotland101
I heard that there were no appeals this year, is this true?

It's changing to a Results Service. :yes:
Reply 41
Sam, in Nat 5 will we be rewarded an "A1" if we get 85% or above and "A2" if we get between 70-85%? Or is it just a basic "A" regardless?
On the appeals thing, you can read all about it here http://www.sqa.org.uk/sqa/48186.html. In summary there are two services, the main focus being on Exceptional Circumstances. The idea here is to catch those of you who may underperform for a specific reason (illness, bereavement) and get some extra evidence in so that we can grade you accurately the first time. The Post Results service gives those of you who are convinced you got an A, but only get a C the chance to have us check that we added up your marks properly, and that it was properly marked - note though, that this could lead to your grade going down as well...
Original post by Ecasx
Sam, in Nat 5 will we be rewarded an "A1" if we get 85% or above and "A2" if we get between 70-85%? Or is it just a basic "A" regardless?

Good question. I have no idea, but I know a man who does... Don't go away...
Besides prelims and exams etc, the big new this week is that ol' Auntie SAM is getting a makeover. You can see a whole new me soon - stay tuned...
Original post by Ecasx

The answer from on high is that when you receive your qualifications certificate in August, it will simply give you a grade A, B, C or D - or "No Award". However, your school will be sent details of what band you have achieved your grade at. So, for example, if you have achieved an A for one of your Courses, your school will be notified as to whether you have achieved an A1 (85 - 100%) or an A2 (70 - 84%). In other words pretty much the smae as before. Hope that helps!
Reply 46
Original post by mysqa
The answer from on high is that when you receive your qualifications certificate in August, it will simply give you a grade A, B, C or D - or "No Award". However, your school will be sent details of what band you have achieved your grade at. So, for example, if you have achieved an A for one of your Courses, your school will be notified as to whether you have achieved an A1 (85 - 100%) or an A2 (70 - 84%). In other words pretty much the smae as before. Hope that helps!

Thanks!
Ooh, look at me, I've come over all illustrated. Hope you like the new look!
Original post by mysqa
Ooh, look at me, I've come over all illustrated. Hope you like the new look!

Check you out, looking all fancy! :h:
Why, thank you kind sire, I'm sure.
Prelims all done everyone? I've got SAM's annual treat for you - my study tips. I'm wondering if you'd prefer I start them a bit earlier this year, like, say, next week? Then you can use them at the start of your run into the main event? Or is it too soon? Let me know!
Original post by mysqa
Prelims all done everyone? I've got SAM's annual treat for you - my study tips. I'm wondering if you'd prefer I start them a bit earlier this year, like, say, next week? Then you can use them at the start of your run into the main event? Or is it too soon? Let me know!

Yeah next week sounds good
Okay, by popular demand, SAM's Study Tips are launched today - check out the separate thread. There will be a new tip every day, so keep an eye out!
While I'm in the process of putting up this year's Study Tips, I'm always keen to add to the list - have you got any study tips that work for you that you would like to share?
Reply 54
Removing appeals was a bad idea.
I know this year that because appeals are gone no one studied for prelims meaning there is way more studying to be done for finals which will result in poorer results and lower pass marks in exams as candidates will be less prepared all because the prelim became worthless.
It is certainly one viewpoint. On the other hand the new system should be fairer all round in the long run.
SAM's study tip sare well under way - have you got any you'd like to add?
Reply 57
Quick question Sam, not sure if you'll know this or not but it's worth a try:

for the Nat 5 English portfolio, is there a strict word limit of 1000?

On the SQA info sheet online it says that "each piece should be of no more than 1000 words." However, this isn't emboldened or underlined in any way at all as it is on the Higher portfolio sheet, which could imply that it isn't a strict boundary.

Obviously going well above would be insensible but what if a piece happened to be around 1030 words? Would marks be deducted?
Original post by Ecasx
Quick question Sam, not sure if you'll know this or not but it's worth a try:

for the Nat 5 English portfolio, is there a strict word limit of 1000?

On the SQA info sheet online it says that "each piece should be of no more than 1000 words." However, this isn't emboldened or underlined in any way at all as it is on the Higher portfolio sheet, which could imply that it isn't a strict boundary.

Obviously going well above would be insensible but what if a piece happened to be around 1030 words? Would marks be deducted?

Hi

I'm not absolutely sure. I would have thought it would be a guidance figure only, but I'd have to check. I will get back to you with an answer asap! Don't go awy.
Reply 59
Original post by mysqa
Hi

I'm not absolutely sure. I would have thought it would be a guidance figure only, but I'd have to check. I will get back to you with an answer asap! Don't go awy.

Thanks! Certainly hope it's purely for guidance.

Quick Reply

Latest