The Student Room Group

Bit upset about phone call I just received about absence from work

I have a Saturday job at a charity shop (paid). There is only myself and my boss present on Saturdays and I basically run the shop whilst my boss is in the back sorting stock/admin.

I came down with something about a month ago. I've seen loads of doctors and been hospital twice, general consensus is it's a bad virus that's just lasting ages.

I've currently had two Saturdays off, and am having this coming Saturday off too. I feel awful having time off in my job due to how much they rely on me. I have tried to give them three days notice every time, as I thought that would help.

Got a phone call this morning off my boss' boss. It was basically a phone call telling me how much I am inconveniencing them by having time off sick, also telling me I haven't given enough notice, I need sick notes and she also threw in an accusation that I was lying about being ill too. She also said I need to tell them today if I am going to be in on Saturday. Personally, I think five days is a long time to predict how I'll feel.

I have given a sick note for the first Saturday. Then I rang for one for this Saturday just gone and they said they don't give sick notes in advance. Woman who rang me then had a go at me for that because my first was given in advance. I can't help my GP having inconsistent policies!

Rang my boss who also said she was annoyed at me about it. I asked if she would prefer me to just say I won't be in this Sat even if I feel better. She said yeah. I find this odd.

I'm basically just annoyed. I have had the worst month in terms of being ill. I've missed a holiday I had booked, and my 21st birthday. I spent it all in bed. I have felt really bad about missing work, even one day and I feel guilty. I don't need a phone call telling me how bad it is for them. What is the purpose? Especially when they accuse me of lying. If I were gonna pull a sicky, I wouldn't do it for three weeks!

My parents have said it is pretty normal in employment to have these types of calls, and it is bringing me to the real world. I guess they are right. I've only had two part time jobs including this one, and I've never really had anyone make me feel this bad about anything before, so it's just upset me a bit. I'm dreading going back now. I feel like I'm just going to be a bit hated for being ill. :dontknow:

Anyone had long term absences? How did your workplace take it?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Airfairy

This is very normal, unfortunately. In one of my first jobs (operator for BT), I received the news on shift that my grandad, who'd pretty much raised me, had died. Obviously I was in bits, told them what happened, went home. This was a Friday evening. The following Friday was the funeral, so I told them I wouldn't be in. They said I had to be, because they don't give compassionate leave for grandparents. I said that there was no way I was missing the funeral of the man who was a father to me, and no I wouldn't be in afterwards because there would be no way I could take 999 calls in that much of an emotional state. So, they said OK.

The Monday after the funeral, I was called in for a disciplinary hearing. They told me it was "very suspicious" that my family circumstances required me to take two Fridays in a row off...
Original post by SocksRock
This is very normal, unfortunately. In one of my first jobs (operator for BT), I received the news on shift that my grandad, who'd pretty much raised me, had died. Obviously I was in bits, told them what happened, went home. This was a Friday evening. The following Friday was the funeral, so I told them I wouldn't be in. They said I had to be, because they don't give compassionate leave for grandparents. I said that there was no way I was missing the funeral of the man who was a father to me, and no I wouldn't be in afterwards because there would be no way I could take 999 calls in that much of an emotional state. So, they said OK.

The Monday after the funeral, I was called in for a disciplinary hearing. They told me it was "very suspicious" that my family circumstances required me to take two Fridays in a row off...

Seriously :eek:? It would've been nice if they were sympathetic towards you. And it's not 'suspicious' that you've had two Friday's off to grieve for some who's related and very close to you!
Reply 3
Original post by ohhello92x
Seriously :eek:? It would've been nice if they were sympathetic towards you. And it's not 'suspicious' that you've had two Friday's off to grieve for some who's related and very close to you!

It was rough times, and they were a horrible company to work for, at least via an agency. I'm still, years later, sore that they intruded on my grief like that and have never been a customer of theirs!

But on the upside (well... sort of), I had a much better employer some years later when my mother-in-law died. They let me take all the time I needed, no questions asked. Even sent a card and flowers. But they're not all like that, not by a long shot, unfortunately - so if you're ever lucky enough to find a company or boss that good to work for, reward them with your loyalty!
Reply 4
It was rough times, and they were a horrible company to work for, at least via an agency. I'm still, years later, sore that they intruded on my grief like that and have never been a customer of theirs!

But on the upside (well... sort of), I had a much better employer some years later when my mother-in-law died. They let me take all the time I needed, no questions asked. Even sent a card and flowers. But they're not all like that, not by a long shot, unfortunately - so if you're ever lucky enough to find a company or boss that good to work for, reward them with your loyalty!

That's how it should be! BT sounded horrible :frown: there's no need for employers to be like that. It's what I was saying to my mum before - I understand that in the real world, employers do ring up and ask you about absences, but it was unnecessary to use that tone with me. They could have rang and spoke to me a lot nicer than they did, and that's what bothers me.

Applied for a job at Pizza Hut about an hour ago. Hopefully I'll get it! I would really like a new job. I don't want to go back :/
Reply 5
sounds liek your boss can shove it tbh. if all they are doing is the stock whilst your the one running around serving customers and they want to get rid of you then it's igh time you found more apprecitive employers, specially under these circumstances
Reply 6
tell them you would press charges and that they shouldn't pressure you to work when you are ill. that'll shut them up :biggrin:

Aw bless!
That's good that they allowed you to take all the time you need :smile:!
Yeah :smile: not sure how long the company I work for part time would allow me to take time off if I were to grieve again for someone who is close to me :redface:!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8

Applied for a job at Pizza Hut about an hour ago. Hopefully I'll get it! I would really like a new job. I don't want to go back :/

Good move and good luck! Yeah, once the trust in the working relationship is soured, no point in hanging around, in my experience!
Reply 9
Would they rather you came in ill and infected everyone? Don't think so.

I used to volunteer in a charity shop and phoned up the day before to see if I could come in; as I'd been ill the previous day. (I had d&v type problems) I was told not to come in and they'll see me next week.

I'm not sure if it's different because I was unpaid.
Reply 10
Original post by OU Student
Would they rather you came in ill and infected everyone? Don't think so.

I used to volunteer in a charity shop and phoned up the day before to see if I could come in; as I'd been ill the previous day. (I had d&v type problems) I was told not to come in and they'll see me next week.

I'm not sure if it's different because I was unpaid.

They probably would rather have me come in! I had to come in once full of the flu, nose like a tap so tissue always in my hand. Customers looked a bit disgusted tbh! I think volunteer is a bit different. I used to volunteer at a different shop, and you find them don't fully rely on volunteers as much as paid staff which is fair enough I suppose.
Good move and good luck! Yeah, once the trust in the working relationship is soured, no point in hanging around, in my experience!

Yeah I'm going to quit I think. I have a question though...I am off again thsi Saturday, so I go back next week. I need to give one week's notice. I am just worried about the implications of going back after a month off sick and then quitting straight away. Surely that looks awful? Maybe I should give it some more time?
Reply 11

Yeah I'm going to quit I think. I have a question though...I am off again thsi Saturday, so I go back next week. I need to give one week's notice. I am just worried about the implications of going back after a month off sick and then quitting straight away. Surely that looks awful? Maybe I should give it some more time?

Ooooh, yes, give it a bit more time in case you need a reference - gives you a chance to look for another job too!
Reply 12
Ooooh, yes, give it a bit more time in case you need a reference - gives you a chance to look for another job too!

Thanks for your advice! It's a bit awkward now because I've been off for a month already and my doctor has signed me off for another month on my new sick note! My parents have suggested if I want to quit, I should do it when I ring them up telling them there's another month yet. I'm phoning her tomorrow.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was off for THREE weeks with a nasty virus. I mean, deadly nasty contagious sh!t, doctors were prepared to sign me off for 4 weeks even. I ended up sending three sick notes, one a week.

Not much they could do as I had the means to prove it. Also, it's a massive company with lots of staff, so no biggie. Made me realise Im completely expendable.
Reply 14
She also said I need to tell them today if I am going to be in on Saturday. Personally, I think five days is a long time to predict how I'll feel.

Sorry to hear you've been ill OP, employers can be a pain when it comes to managing sickness absence, in the end they're more bothered about their business running smoothly in a lot of cases. Tell them at the moment you are unwell and therefore will not be able to work that Saturday shift, there's nothing then stopping you from calling them to say you are fit for work if you find yourself getting better through the week.
Reply 15
Thanks for your advice! It's a bit awkward now because I've been off for a month already and my doctor has signed me off for another month on my new sick note! My parents have suggested if I want to quit, I should do it when I ring them up telling them there's another month yet. I'm phoning her tomorrow.

Posted from TSR Mobile

She sounds like a right piece of work :frown: If you're signed off, then don't quit for now... she might try to make things awkward for you when you get back, but I *think* this kind of behaviour from her would be frowned upon from her bosses. Is there anyone higher up than her that you would trust to be fair with you?
Reply 16
She sounds like a right piece of work :frown: If you're signed off, then don't quit for now... she might try to make things awkward for you when you get back, but I *think* this kind of behaviour from her would be frowned upon from her bosses. Is there anyone higher up than her that you would trust to be fair with you?

Well that's the thing... Her boss rang me to talk to me and she was even worse than my boss! I feel my boss is more reasonable than the area manager, which is saying something

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Hi
You sound like a good employee and I can understand why you're upset, but I think you need to take a step back and not be hasty. If everything else is ok with the job you would be better off putting this behind you. Your parents are right - this sort of thing happens in the working world. The district manager (or who ever it was) will spend a lot of time dealing with staff who let them down at short notice because they had a heavy night the day before, or because they can't be bothered and unfortunately she will be very cynical. You've been signed off for another month - send the sicknote in and use the time to get better. They can plan staff cover because they know what's happening. Looking for another job with a a poor absence record and indifferent reference would be doing yourself a disservice.
Reply 18
Original post by marple
Hi
You sound like a good employee and I can understand why you're upset, but I think you need to take a step back and not be hasty. If everything else is ok with the job you would be better off putting this behind you. Your parents are right - this sort of thing happens in the working world. The district manager (or who ever it was) will spend a lot of time dealing with staff who let them down at short notice because they had a heavy night the day before, or because they can't be bothered and unfortunately she will be very cynical. You've been signed off for another month - send the sicknote in and use the time to get better. They can plan staff cover because they know what's happening. Looking for another job with a a poor absence record and indifferent reference would be doing yourself a disservice.

Hi, thanks for your advice! Thing is, I had been considering quitting the job beforehand, only it wasn't set in stone yet, so this has just topped it off a bit, so it's not entirely random.

I wish I had more time to think about this but I need to phone my boss tomorrow and figured telling her at the same time that I feel I may be better resigning due to my lengthy illness makes it sound better, than having two months off work only to go back for a bit and quit :/
Reply 19
So I rang up this morning to tell her I have a sick note to cover me for another month's absence. I wasn't sure if I was going to resign or not, I thought I'd see how the convo went. Anyway she was nasty again, basically hinted that she was going to politely ask if I wanted to resign, and said having a month off is no good to her. At that point I decided to say it is probably better if I resign, and she agreed saying that a month is too long for her, but said it's my decision. I don't know why I would want to stay when she made it pretty clear she wants me to leave! So yeah, just printed my resignation letter and that's that.

It's a shame because when I started the job it was perfect, then you find out what the staff/company are like and it gets worse :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending