The Student Room Group

eek...i really badly failed my mock driving test

i know it's only the mock, but i got 6majors and 9minors and i knew i had failed it because i actually mounted the pavement when i did the reverse around a corner, but i thought that would be my only major. my instructor said that the other majors were stuff i could easily corret (eg: check mirrors before stopping, being less hesistant, making sure to change down into 1st gear). therefore, he's saying that i should still go ahead with having my test on the 6th. just wanted some reassurance from people that the mock always goes badly but they then go on to pass with flying colours lol

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I never actually had a mock. Had four tests, but no mock, lol. I went up on the kirb when doing a reverse round a corner on my first test, knew I'd failed then. Manouevres are just luck anyway. I suppose as long as you make sure to correct all the other things he told you to, you might just pass.
Reply 2
I failed every mock test, including the one on the morning of the test.

But then I passed with 2 minors :biggrin:

So moral of my little story is, just try your best on the day!
Reply 3
That was why I never wanted a mock test. I knew if I failed it would make me more nervous, and if I passed, then failed the real thing, I'd be even more gutted than I would have been.
Reply 4
I had three mocks and failed everyone of them. In my first i did literally get about 20majors and 20minors and a dangerous, however, a couple of months later I passed first time.

[Just realised that makes me sound like a crap driver, am not, my instructor is overly harsh on mocks and has never passed anyone on a mock]

So don't worry! You'll be fine!
Reply 5
in my mock test i got 3-5 minors i thinks(done it in may or june last year, lol) but on my test i got 11 minors :rolleyes: !! lol
Reply 6
Meh, no one cares about minors. I got 10, but who cares? I passed! Woooooo
Reply 7
I got 13 serious faults and 10 minors in my mock and passed my test first time with only three minors. No biggie.
Reply 8
samie
in my mock test i got 3-5 minors i thinks(done it in may or june last year, lol) but on my test i got 11 minors :rolleyes: !! lol

Snap. As long as theres no majors, it's okay :smile:
Reply 9
alison_141288
i know it's only the mock, but i got 6majors and 9minors and i knew i had failed it because i actually mounted the pavement when i did the reverse around a corner, but i thought that would be my only major. my instructor said that the other majors were stuff i could easily corret (eg: check mirrors before stopping, being less hesistant, making sure to change down into 1st gear). therefore, he's saying that i should still go ahead with having my test on the 6th. just wanted some reassurance from people that the mock always goes badly but they then go on to pass with flying colours lol

Your instructor gave you majors for being hesistant and not changing into 1st?
BS, I'm pretty sure they're not majors...
wiggles
I never actually had a mock. Had four tests, but no mock, lol. I went up on the kirb when doing a reverse round a corner on my first test, knew I'd failed then. Manouevres are just luck anyway. I suppose as long as you make sure to correct all the other things he told you to, you might just pass.

Erm... How are they luck? If anything, they're the hardest thing whilst learning to drive as they require alot of control over the car.

Don't worry about it. I failed my mock which was like a week before the test but I passed. The Instructor usually marks very harshly on mocks so they force you to drive better in the actual test.
Reply 11
I'd say manouevres are based on skill. The only "lucky" bit about them is judging the distance from the car to the kerb. But you're allowed a drain's length (which is ridiculously long anyway) away. All they want you to do it be parallel at the end of a park/reverse round corner and to not hit the kerb.
Reply 12
Yeah, there isn't a large luck factor.

I occasionaly mucked them up for no real reason, but by and large they are down to skill. The more you practice them the less likely you are to randomly muck it up aswell.
Reply 13
Well I agree that it's down to skill to practice them and get them right. But even the best drivers can't get all the manouevres right 100% of the time. With parrallel parking and 3 point turn, as long as you do the same thing every time, you can pretty much guarantee you'll get it right. With reversing round a corner and into a bay, however, it is largely dependant on where you start from, how tight the corner is, or how narrow the space is, etc. I practised for about 4 days solid before each of my 4 tests, and I could never get reverse round a corner or reverse into a bay right every time. Neither could my dad, who's been driving for 35 years. Therefore I came to the conclusion that, no matter how many times you've done them, there's still an element of luck as to whether you get them right or wrong on the day. Luckily I managed to get reverse round a corner right 2/3 times it came up, but still, I can't always get the car completely straight in the road when I do it, or as close to the kirb as some examiners want it.
Reply 14
I completely screwed up my manouvers today, and generally my mock, and guess what, my tests tomorrow, lets face it, I'm screwed.
No you're not! You're not screwed until you fail it tomorrow so go in with a clean head, forget what happened and just try your best. I never had a mock - no time or need - but I am sure I would have failed it and felt stupid. Just use what you already know, you wouldn't be having a test if you weren't good enough so be confident and drive well.

When people say manoeuvres are luck - to an extent they are but only in terms of where you are asked to do them. Some parallel parks on empty roads are easy and you can use all your theory, others you just have to do it and hope that everybody will give you room etc. Today you might have been 'unlucky'; tomorrow, you might not be.
magnad
Your instructor gave you majors for being hesistant and not changing into 1st?
BS, I'm pretty sure they're not majors...

I got majors for:
- reverse round a corner
- reverse park
- lane discipline (i stayed on the right on the dual carriageway)
- not using mirrors when changing speed (3 minors to a major)
- undue hesistation (3 minors to a major)
- observation (didn't see car coming on the roundabout)

Minors for:
- 1 for not letting the clutch up quickly enough
- 2 for starting in 2nd gear when i should have been in 1sts
- 2 for bad steering
- 2 for not using mirrors when changing direction

on a more positive note tho, my driving instructor said that there's no need to postpone the driving test, but he's only booked me in for 2 more lessons so do you think i should book some more? he seems quite reluctant to give me more lessons and i know he's always really booked up but he could squeeze me in somewhere. uurgh - driving is such a hassle
Reply 17
the driving test has a lot of luck involved in it so i wouldn't worry.... i failed first time for not looking over my shoulder doing a reverse round the corner even tho i knew nothing was coming as i could see the road in the mirror.... i then failed the next time for an equally minor thing.... 3rd test i was tired and did crap and 4th test things finally went my way.... i maintain that my 1st and 2nd tests were far superior to my 3rd and 4th but meh....

i am surprised you are being put in for the test if you are making that many mistakes still, but i suppose 2 weeks is quite a while especially if you are lucky enough to have your own car to practice in.... i've known people pass who can't parallel park for **** but were just lucky enough not to get asked to do it on the test....
Reply 18
I remember the very first mock test I did I passed with about 10 minors and then the second one a week later I failed with 3 majors and a few minors and it wasn't because my driving got worse from one test to the next. I just had a couple of unlucky moments and one stupid lapse of concentration where I turned the car around without looking over my shoulder when reversing as it looked clear when I started the manuever. The point is, no matter what happened in your mock test, as long as you concentrate on the day, with a bit of luck, you'll pass.
Reply 19
alison_141288
I got majors for:
- reverse round a corner
- reverse park
- lane discipline (i stayed on the right on the dual carriageway)
- not using mirrors when changing speed (3 minors to a major)
- undue hesistation (3 minors to a major)
- observation (didn't see car coming on the roundabout)

Minors for:
- 1 for not letting the clutch up quickly enough
- 2 for starting in 2nd gear when i should have been in 1sts
- 2 for bad steering
- 2 for not using mirrors when changing direction

on a more positive note tho, my driving instructor said that there's no need to postpone the driving test, but he's only booked me in for 2 more lessons so do you think i should book some more? he seems quite reluctant to give me more lessons and i know he's always really booked up but he could squeeze me in somewhere. uurgh - driving is such a hassle

They're silly mistakes rather than fundamental flaws. I wouldn't worry.

Just always put the car back into first when you stop and handbrake up. Get into the habit and you'll be fine. Also what I found helped me stop getting minors for observation was to nod my head when I look in the mirrors so the examiner/instructor knows you're doing it. That's my advice, anyway. Best of luck :smile:

I'd say keep the test. You should pass, but if for whatever reason you don't (I made a silly mistake and failed first time) the second test will be so much easier as you know what to expect. Anyway, just relax and enjoy your last few hours as a learner :biggrin: