The Student Room Group

How steady state is reached in a rod whose ends are maintained at different temp?

Please Help me.I am not getting this concept.When the two ends of a metallic rod are maintained at different temp,steady state is reached after some time .Then the rate of heat flow through any section of metallic rod is constant..
Can someone please explain in detail how this process happens?
Original post by Princu
Please Help me.I am not getting this concept.When the two ends of a metallic rod are maintained at different temp,steady state is reached after some time .Then the rate of heat flow through any section of metallic rod is constant..
Can someone please explain in detail how this process happens?

It means that heat flows from one end to the other along a temperature gradient.
If the rod is initially at, say 20 degs and you create a temperature at the other end of 100 degs, then initially the whole rod is at 20 degs with just the hot end at 100. Keep the other end at 20 degs. As heat conducts along the rod it gradually heats up so that all points on it are increasing in temperature. Eventually the rod will get into a state where it no longer gets hotter. It will end up with the hot end at 100, the cool end still at 20, and points between the two at some constant temperature somewhere between 20 and 100. The steady state is where these intermediate points no longer change in temperature.

Quick Reply

Latest