Computer Science, what UNI should i choose?? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Zonic
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
Hi!
I have received offers from Bath and Southampton but I can't straight this out, which one is the best for computer science?????

I checked out these University league tables but they say different things. Should i really care about the league tables at all???
Leekey
Badges: 9
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Zonic)
Hi!
I have received offers from Bath and Southampton but I can't straight this out, which one is the best for computer science?????

I checked out these University league tables but they say different things. Should i really care about the league tables at all???
Pay no attention to the league tables, they can be used as a guide only and the uni's you are considering all fit into the extremely good category.

The most striking thing about the courses that you are considering is how different they are to each other. Have you taken a look at the content of each? Are you looking to go into the industry or are you wanting to go off at a tangent career-wise?
Zonic
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
(Original post by Leekey)
Pay no attention to the league tables, they can be used as a guide only and the uni's you are considering all fit into the extremely good category.

The most striking thing about the courses that you are considering is how different they are to each other. Have you taken a look at the content of each? Are you looking to go into the industry or are you wanting to go off at a tangent career-wise?

Thanks for the advice about the league tables.

Actually im looking to go into the industry so maybe Bath should be the best choice regarding their industry placement year.
Leekey
Badges: 9
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Zonic)
Thanks for the advice about the league tables.

Actually im looking to go into the industry so maybe Bath should be the best choice regarding their industry placement year.
Bath is certainly the way to go in the short term but Southampton has very good links with industry and I know for a fact that several very big industry names do recruit direct from thier department. Although I suppose you can say for the same for Bath with the number of software houses and electronics companies that seem to sponsor their sandwich year.

I think you should definitely take a look at the content though because the courses are VERY different. In the world of Comp Sci they are about as far appart as you can get!!!
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (32)
17.78%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (27)
15%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (39)
21.67%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (65)
36.11%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (6)
3.33%
No particular grades needed (11)
6.11%