The Student Room Group

Have I already blown it on my first day

Keep anon or delete

First day of uni today, and despite being nervous, I managed to become quite chatty and familiar with a few people (it is true, it's not as bad as people think). I got particularly friendly with this one girl, who's very pretty and loves football, which is a massive bonus! Anyway a few of us exchanged numbers, and got chatting. She texted me asking if I was going to a uni induction tomorrow, and then I got a little flirty, ie 'I'm sure you don't need much beauty sleep' and after a decent conversation on text it's all gone rather quiet since I sent the above..... So I was wondering if I've already scared her away as a friend even never mind anything else?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
'I'm sure you don't need much beauty sleep'

Uhh, maybe she is sleeping?
Don't over-think it, just see how things go tomorrow :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Treeroy
Uhh, maybe she is sleeping?

If it is possible for someone to be asleep, within thirty seconds of sending a text, unless she sent it and then turned her phone off? But you don't think this is slightly too forward or just harmless banter?
Reply 4
Original post by tibbles209
Don't over-think it, just see how things go tomorrow :smile:

Will she think I'm slightly strange for this?
Personally I would suggest not coming on too strong. If I were new at uni I wouldn't really appreciate being hit on right away while I was trying to make friends. Focus on friendships first, you don't want the reputation of that guy who hits on girls right away because you might drive away potentially decent friendships. That's what I feel anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Beckyweck
Personally I would suggest not coming on too strong. If I were new at uni I wouldn't really appreciate being hit on right away while I was trying to make friends. Focus on friendships first, you don't want the reputation of that guy who hits on girls right away because you might drive away potentially decent friendships. That's what I feel anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I suppose your right, is it too late for me to retrieve the situation?
Reply 7
Keep anon or delete

First day of uni today, and despite being nervous, I managed to become quite chatty and familiar with a few people (it is true, it's not as bad as people think). I got particularly friendly with this one girl, who's very pretty and loves football, which is a massive bonus! Anyway a few of us exchanged numbers, and got chatting. She texted me asking if I was going to a uni induction tomorrow, and then I got a little flirty, ie 'I'm sure you don't need much beauty sleep' and after a decent conversation on text it's all gone rather quiet since I sent the above..... So I was wondering if I've already scared her away as a friend even never mind anything else?

Just play it cool. If you haven't already, text her in the morning and ask if she wants to go to the induction thing. Maybe keep the flirting a bit more subtle!
Reply 8
Original post by skotch
Just play it cool. If you haven't already, text her in the morning and ask if she wants to go to the induction thing. Maybe keep the flirting a bit more subtle!

Thanks, I don't want to ruin the chance of friendship!
Yeah I suppose your right, is it too late for me to retrieve the situation?

Apologise? Show her that you know it was inappropriate and that you were wrong...she may appreciate it :smile:
Take it easy with the texts and chat when you see her next, you don't want to come across all 'stalky'.
Reply 11
Original post by überambitious_ox
Apologise? Show her that you know it was inappropriate and that you were wrong...she may appreciate it :smile:

apologise for texting saying "I'm sure you don't need much beauty sleep"?

Isn't that a compliment?

I personally don't think the OP has overstepped a line unless she's already told him she's got a boyfriend or something and isn't available. And even if she is dating someone, what's wrong with a little flirting?

Is this the part where all of TSR's feminists come out the cracks and tell us it's insulting and chauvinistic to call a woman beautiful?
Reply 12
bruv.

RELaaaaaaaaaaaaxxxxxxxxx
Maybe she simply doesn't know what to say to it? I'd just leave it and see what she says the next time you see her
Reply 14
Too much too soon.
Reply 15
If it is possible for someone to be asleep, within thirty seconds of sending a text, unless she sent it and then turned her phone off? But you don't think this is slightly too forward or just harmless banter?

Completely depends on what she's like - remember you don't know her - but I'd guess you're just overanalysing it.
Original post by willbee
apologise for texting saying "I'm sure you don't need much beauty sleep"?

Isn't that a compliment?

I personally don't think the OP has overstepped a line unless she's already told him she's got a boyfriend or something and isn't available. And even if she is dating someone, what's wrong with a little flirting?

Is this the part where all of TSR's feminists come out the cracks and tell us it's insulting and chauvinistic to call a woman beautiful?

Indeed it is a compliment, however I think I'd be a bit creeped out if someone said that to me after knowing me for like a day.

If it was say a few weeks or months later, once we new each other really well, then I wouldn't be creeped out.

It's just my opinion though.
Reply 17

It is very possible especially if you are very tired! Which I imagine she will be.
Reply 18
You are coming on too fast too soon. Play it cool, just be friendly right now, you have only been there a day right? and it is much easier to do face to face interaction so you know how they feel. :smile: Concentrate now on meeting new people and not becoming completely caught up in this one girl.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest